Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Does SHIELD Still Exist After Secret Empire?

I don’t think there is a SHIELD anymore in the 616. Correct me if I’m wrong. After the debacle of Hydra Captain America, I think the US government is far too cynical to adopt another organisation like SHIELD considering the failure of the Organisation and the super heroes who were associated with Alpha Flight.

I give the examples of handing over the reign of power to Hydra. That was a big mistake to think a super hero could be trusted to make good. I give you Maria Hill, who was ordered by old man Steve Rogers to destroy Kobik. Maria Hill made Kobik created Pleasant Hill concentration camp, Kobik who was consequently hired by the Red Skull. Maria didn’t destroy the Cosmic Cube (Kobik), and then this happened. Kobik created a Hydra Cap to replace the heroic Steve Rogers, and hid him away in the Avengers for a good while.

Next came the heroic Carl Danvers, the leader of Alpha Flight, who on grasping the idea of a Future predictor, Ulysses the Inhuman, consequently had Bruce Banner Killed, had her boyfriend, War Machine, killed, and ended up by killing Tony Stark.

Then comes Secret Empire, the nightmare scenario of handing your civil power over to an amateur. It almost destroyed the idea of America when Hydra Cap indoctrinated school children into being a combination of Nazis/Stassi era dobbers.

So do we need a SHIELD anymore? Could the US government trust that type of organisation again? I’m unsure if a SHIELD still exists, but if it does, I think after Nick Fury’s experience of disobedience in Secret War in 2003 and Original Sin, Steve Rogers’ ineptitude as manager, and Maria Hills insubordination, that maybe reverting back to a US Armed Forces authority gave the public a better protection than an undisciplined SHIELD. To my mind, (if I’m wrong that SHIELD doesn’t exist, then so be it), I like that the 616 has reverted back to a 1960’s structure, where the Armed Forces is used as first response, and super heroes are on-call for the unusual threats.
    Last edited by jackolover; 11-30-2020 at 04:38 PM.