Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    that's the point
    they're not literally nazis because there was a plot thread about overthrowing red skull
    and then they do all the nazi stuff anyway
    that is the point that every stevil comic hammered in repeatedly
    that stevil thinks he is better but he's not
    I can take that from the plot. Though I'd point out that no one really called him on that, all things considered.

The writer? Not so much

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I can take that from the plot. Though I'd point out that no one really called him on that, all things considered.

The writer? Not so much
    I believe Sharon Carter did that in the Steve Rogers Captain America book's tie-in to Secret Empire, calling HYDRA-Cap a fascist no better than the Red Skull, or something to that effect --- and both Captain America books were still being written by Nick Spencer while Secret Empire was happening, last I recall.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I just read Marvel Tales Knull #1 and it mentions SHIELD broke apart and then a Symbiote situation arose, but it’s very vague when that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I just read Marvel Tales Knull #1 and it mentions SHIELD broke apart and then a Symbiote situation arose, but it’s very vague when that happened.
    S.H.I.E.L.D. broke apart right at the end of Secret Empire, with the U.S. government formally disbanding it. For more details on the symbiote situation, I'd start with the first issue of Donny Cates's Venom and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    S.H.I.E.L.D. broke apart right at the end of Secret Empire, with the U.S. government formally disbanding it. For more details on the symbiote situation, I'd start with the first issue of Donny Cates's Venom and go from there.
    Thanks for the information Huntsman.

Thanks for the information Huntsman.
    You're very welcome.

I’ve had a kind of another rethink about SHIELD recently, and it started like this.

SHIELD was a direct result of the unaccountability of superheroes to the normals. Up until 1965 in Strange Tales #135, when SHIELD was first announced, the superheroes acted independently, assisting all the government services, like cops, FBI, CIA, Fire Dept, and the Armed Forces. Nobody until then, questioned the help given by vigilantes, and just waved it off as good help. The appearance or revelation that a SHIELD organisation had been struck, is a direct result of the suspicion that one day the trust shown in vigilantes would deteriorate. That day came at the end of CW #7, when all the services gang-tackled Captain America hammering on Iron Man, the supplier of arms and tech to SHIELD (Tony Stark).

So, from my standpoint, SHIELD represents that suspicion that appeared in 1965 in the normal community. From 1961 - 1965, superheroes went through a golden era, which was suddenly cut short, and sent shivers through the superhero community because SHIELD cast a dark shadow over the superhero vigilantes, knowing the normals had now made a contingency for them, the vigilantes. SHIELD morphed into Cape Killers by 2006, and achieved its aim to reign in the superheroes.

I’ve had a kind of another rethink about SHIELD recently, and it started like this.

SHIELD was a direct result of the unaccountability of superheroes to the normals. Up until 1965 in Strange Tales #135, when SHIELD was first announced, the superheroes acted independently, assisting all the government services, like cops, FBI, CIA, Fire Dept, and the Armed Forces. Nobody until then, questioned the help given by vigilantes, and just waved it off as good help. The appearance or revelation that a SHIELD organisation had been struck, is a direct result of the suspicion that one day the trust shown in vigilantes would deteriorate. That day came at the end of CW #7, when all the services gang-tackled Captain America hammering on Iron Man, the supplier of arms and tech to SHIELD (Tony Stark).

So, from my standpoint, SHIELD represents that suspicion that appeared in 1965 in the normal community. From 1961 - 1965, superheroes went through a golden era, which was suddenly cut short, and sent shivers through the superhero community because SHIELD cast a dark shadow over the superhero vigilantes, knowing the normals had now made a contingency for them, the vigilantes. SHIELD morphed into Cape Killers by 2006, and achieved its aim to reign in the superheroes.
    Then that went pear-shaped when they gave power and authority to a known psychopathic murderer like Norman Osborn, just because he killed the leader of the Skrulls' Secret Invasion in full view of the media and the public, proving that for all the talk about making superheroes accountable to the public, S.H.I.E.L.D./H.A.M.M.E.R. was ultimately more corrupt and unaccountable than superheroes could dream of being. Not to mention, Bendis's Spider-Man: Miles Morales showed a lot of supervillains that were previously detained by S.H.I.E.L.D. getting released after Secret Empire because without S.H.I.E.L.D., the laws on the books no longer justified their detention and imprisonment, thus proving --- as if HYDRA-Cap taking over in Secret Empire wasn't enough --- that S.H.I.E.L.D. had been every bit as unaccountable and irresponsible with its power and authority as its leadership, particularly under Maria Hill, accused superheroes of being.

Ultimate Member

Then that went pear-shaped when they gave power and authority to a known psychopathic murderer like Norman Osborn, just because he killed the leader of the Skrulls' Secret Invasion in full view of the media and the public, proving that for all the talk about making superheroes accountable to the public, S.H.I.E.L.D./H.A.M.M.E.R. was ultimately more corrupt and unaccountable than superheroes could dream of being. Not to mention, Bendis's Spider-Man: Miles Morales showed a lot of supervillains that were previously detained by S.H.I.E.L.D. getting released after Secret Empire because without S.H.I.E.L.D., the laws on the books no longer justified their detention and imprisonment, thus proving --- as if HYDRA-Cap taking over in Secret Empire wasn't enough --- that S.H.I.E.L.D. had been every bit as unaccountable and irresponsible with its power and authority as its leadership, particularly under Maria Hill, accused superheroes of being.
    That, or Bendis just doesn't understand how the law works

I suppose SHIELD got infected after the Initiative experiment and then with HAMMER and later Secret Empire. There was a limit to its effectiveness against superheroes, considering that experiment failed. Does SHIELD then still consider it has a role? Gen Ross and J Jonah Jameson will say yes.