Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Default Remaking The Starlost

While reading about the recent death of sci-fi legend Ben Bova, I came across a reference to a Canadian TV series called The Starlost that he worked on in the early 70's. Harlan Ellison was the (very disillusioned) creator. Like most sci-fi shows of that era, its reach greatly exceeded its grasp of budget and technology, and it went down in history as a turkey, only lasting 16 episodes. But as I read the premise of the show, I found myself thinking... damn, that's awesome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starlost

Logan's Run and Dark City used some of these elements, but I'm thinking if a good writing staff got at it today with good SFX and the less gimmicky style of storytelling we expect today, this could really be something.

Has anyone here seen this show?

That sounds awesome. Hell, they were able to reboot Battlestar Galactica; doing this now, with the technology at hand, they could really do something spectacular. Though I'm not sure the premise could work for an ongoing series; but a limited series could be big.

Harlan Ellison really was born too early for Prestige TV. The basic premise sounds like Non-stop by Brian Aldiss with more of a post-technological agrarian society bent.

The UK also had quite a glut of sci-fi series in the 70s who's conceptual reach exceeded their grasp.

Boisterously Confused

It does sound like an interesting show. I have to agree with AnakinFlair tho, probably better as a miniseries. As a side note, did anybody see the Netflix production Ascension?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I envision it as an HBO-style prestige series... a tranche of 10 episodes at a time, and keep going as long as you have story to tell. I do agree that a show like this needs to be finite rather than open-ended, but you could get a good 4-5 seasons out of it, I think.