Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What's So Bad About Bruce Jones's Nightwing?

I've only heard whispers about it's infamy. I know that originally DC was to kill Dick Grayson amidst Infinite Crisis and Jason Todd was to take over the role of Nightwing, but plans were changed and the brothers in blood story arc was rushed out.

Incredible Member

Its been a while since I read it but it starts out pretty interesting (Jason pretending to be Nightwing and killing criminals) and could have been a good character study of Batman's two sons and their respective ideals (especially since they didn't interact much in the Red Hood story due to Nightwing being injured at the time) and their history (how would Nightwing react to finding Jason alive? Would Jason blame Dick for his death in his own twisted way? And how would Jason react to the way Dick handled Blockbuster's death? - which could have been a great argument for the pros and cons of killing criminals)

But then it devolves into bizarre s#@t like Dick's girlfriend modelling a line of Nightwing inspired clothing, two seemingly unstoppable brothers with magic powers and culminating with Jason turning into a tentacle monster... there's really no coming back from that!

It's one of the most stupid things i've ever read. Even if the plans were rushed, there is no excuse for how bad that story was.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It's one of the most stupid things i've ever read. Even if the plans were rushed, there is no excuse for how bad that story was.
    I'd love to know what the writers were smoking when they came up with this scene

Spectacular Member

The real question is what has Bruce Jones worked on that people liked? (Besides Kazar, I think people generally like his run with Kazar).

I haven't actually heard of his run on Nightwing but now most definitely have to check it out if only to see how bad it is

Quote Originally Posted by BlueElf94 View Post
    The real question is what has Bruce Jones worked on that people liked? (Besides Kazar, I think people generally like his run with Kazar).

I haven't actually heard of his run on Nightwing but now most definitely have to check it out if only to see how bad it is
    Didn't he do a rather compelling run on a certain gamma radiated powerhouse over t the Marvelous competition?

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I believe his run on the Hulk is well regarded.

I liked Scarecrow: Year One. Mostly for Murphy's art, but the story was serviceable. Probably a little better than most of the line DC is putting out right now.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I liked Scarecrow: Year One. Mostly for Murphy's art, but the story was serviceable. Probably a little better than most of the line DC is putting out right now.
    That's a gem. Didn't remember it being from BJ