Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

It's Sophie's Choice on a universal scale.

Difference is the Red Skull woulda tried to kill more people. The Illuminati were given no other choice. A hero can't always save everyone.

Okay am I the only one feeling things have gotten off topic?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    Not really, this is just a branching off topic that still relate to the question why are comics all "dark, realistic and gritty" now.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelAngel0 View Post
    Not really, this is just a branching off topic that still relate to the question why are comics all "dark, realistic and gritty" now.
    If you say so. It just seems you guys are just focusing on one example to me.

BANNED

If you say so. It just seems you guys are just focusing on one example to me.
    Mark's the one who takes every chance he gets to bring up New Avengers...

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Debating the morality of the Illuminati is going off topic.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I agree with the OP that Hickman's grimdark Avengers is lacking the "fun factor" that I like to see in my comics. That said, Marvel is publishing a truckload of great titles on the other end of the spectrum: Hawkeye, Secret Avengers, Ms. Marvel, Silver Surfer, Rocket Raccoon, etc.

BANNED

I like the seriousness, 'cause I like suspense and tension when it involves whether, or not, the hero can overcome his situation.

I don't care for the "the hero is gonna win the day every time, yay!" feel. Not that that's the tone in every non-serious comic book, or that all these types of books are bad (Hawkeye, Superior Foes, and New Warriors are all great for example).

Also, I love the epicness that such series can bring such as...
    Thor - God of Thunder 022-021.jpg

Just a bit.

But in response to the OP I think the reason comics are so grim-dark serious is because people equate seriousness with greater importance to the canon/ continuity of the character. If you release a fun one shot that is written by a fan favorite versus an issue that ties into some event that promises that "when this is over, so and so's life will never be the same!!!" the latter is ALWAYS going to outsell the former, no matter what. Because most comic fans are collectors and therefore have an OCD need to purchase anything that they think will substantially impact the storyline they have obsessively amassed throughout their lives. Seriousness also seems more "adult" and fans can't stand to have their books treated like it's for children and not worthy of consideration as high brow art. The rise of writers such as Alan Moore and Frank Miller in the 80's was really the death knell of superhero comics being written for children to enjoy.

That's also why great fun little titles such as Superior Foes get cancelled while stories of Peter Parker dying and being replaced will sell like gangbusters. Spidey is a flagship title and the main book will always seem more "important" than some comedic spin-off. The writers and publishers then see that this "serious" approach always nets a bigger profit so they continue to write more dark and tragic stories.

I like the seriousness, 'cause I like suspense and tension when it involves whether, or not, the hero can overcome his situation.

I don't care for the "the hero is gonna win the day every time, yay!" feel. Not that that's the tone in every non-serious comic book, or that all these types of books are bad (Hawkeye, Superior Foes, and New Warriors are all great for example).

Also, I love the epicness that such series can bring such as...
    Thor - God of Thunder 022-021.jpg
    I don't mind drama but it's gotten so bleak that it feels pointless. To me New Warriors strikes a very good balance of both seriousness and lightheartedness.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    I agree with the OP that Hickman's grimdark Avengers is lacking the "fun factor" that I like to see in my comics. That said, Marvel is publishing a truckload of great titles on the other end of the spectrum: Hawkeye, Secret Avengers, Ms. Marvel, Silver Surfer, Rocket Raccoon, etc.
    Eeehhh... I'd group Hawkeye with the grimdark, personally.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Mark's the one who takes every chance he gets to bring up New Avengers...
    Your curse to live with.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Really? "Come on, bro. Why you no be cool, bro."

That's what the enemy is at the moment lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    I think the abundance of X-titles and Avengers titles sometimes makes it appear otherwise, but I think Marvel has as much diversity across its line as it's ever had. There are plenty of titles that are more quirky or lighthearted. I think some people just become so focused on certain things that they ignore all else.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Really? Why do you say that?