Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Why did Marvel Rising fail while DC Super Hero Girls succeeded?

I’m generally curious. I have nieces and they like the one and don’t know care about the other.

I don’t want this to be a general DC vs Marvel thread.

But want to here peoples takes on why DC’s was successful and Marvel’s foray into the same market/audience failed.

Probably because DC had invested more in the characters involved for longer. Made a few of them very big names over the decades.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

People bought more of one than the other.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Probably because DC had invested more in the characters involved for longer. Made a few of them very big names over the decades.
    Yeah. I can see that. Besides Jessica Cruz, all the character have been around for decades, and even Cruz is attached to the longtime Green Lantern franchise.

In Marvel Rising, all the characters are within the last few years except Carol who was reinvented as Captain Marvel relatively recently. And Squirrel Girl who just recently become her own franchise.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Yes, Supergirl and Batgirl have been around for decades. Plus I see a lot more merchandising done for Super Hero Girls by DC. I thought the Rock Candy versions of them were cute and would appeal to little girls. Their toy / action figure design is more appealing to the preteens

Extraordinary Member

While Wanda/Scarlet Witch and the Wasp identity have been getting focus in the MCU.

I find it funny that DC has correctly given a push of Zatanna and Bumblebee to young girls in this foray, but Marvel’s neglected to do it with Wanda and Jan. (I’m not talking comics, but across multimedia)

Kevin Feige took over and wanted a fresh slate, plus Marvel Animation was scuttling down so they probably couldn't keep the franchise going.

Extraordinary Member

But even before then, was Marvel Rising through it’s books, toys, cartoons, etc connecting with it’s intended audience the way DC SHG is doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    But even before then, was Marvel Rising through it’s books, toys, cartoons, etc connecting with it’s intended audience the way DC SHG is doing?
    I guess not? I enjoyed the specials and the figures didn't look bad but I guess it had a bit of late-comer syndrome compared to DCSHG.

Yeah, compare the rosters. DCSHG had Batgirl, Supergirl, Bumblebee, Green Lantern Cruz, Zatanna, Harley Quinn. They debuted between the 1950s and 1990s, except for Jess who's only from six years ago. Marvel Rising had Ghost-Spider, Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, Ironheart, Patriot, America Chavez, Inferno. Doreen is the only 20th century character there - she debuted in the 90s but only became popular around six years ago when she got her own book. Would Rising have been more successful if it was more like the Avengers Academy mobile game? That had de-aged versions of major characters, led by Wasp.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The format of releasing 1 episode every few months on youtube instead of committing to a season probably wasn't good.

Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    The format of releasing 1 episode every few months on youtube instead of committing to a season probably wasn't good.
    Considering how the animation for the specials was a step up from the normal Marvel cartoons, I assumed that was the reason for the sporadic release schedule.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Issue 1-while we saw the girls in toy shelves-that was not the same for Patriot. I never saw him on a shelf. He had a shirt that you could only order ONLINE at Disney Store.

Issue 2-DC Girls actually SHOWCASED the cast (well most of it). We did not see Patriot in those Marvel Rising comics. We saw Miles.

Issue 3-Marvel Rising did specials not a show that at least aired on Cartoon Network.

Issue 4-we saw more DC girl books versus Marvel Rising.

Issue 5 DC INVESTED. Marvel DID NOT.

Gwen wasn't in the comics either. Miles seems to have replaced both her and Rayshaun.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Because DC Superhero Girls was a show which ran Cartoon network and Marvel Rising was a few made-for-tv films? Idk, I feel like it's easier to gain a younger audience when you air at a consistent rate.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?