Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Marvel has been kind of half-assing their animation front for the past 7-8 years.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

And then they purposely torpedoed there best series, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes for something inferior.

Does anyone else miss the Marvel Superhero Squad? That was cute cartoon yet still pretty sharp with the humor. Ms Marvel was in that along and to a smaller degree the Scarlet Witch.

Probably Harley Quinn, who you have to admit is a bit missed up as a character, is more present in comics and merchandise than just about any female Marvel character you can name.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-01-2020 at 04:11 PM.

Because Marvel TV animation has to have that awful design style they always use versus DC Super Hero Girls had a style and looked interesting and brought a distinct direction to the show. I'm sorry but Marvel Animation needs to step it up and take more risks visually.

Astonishing Member

So all those Marvel Rising comics were not set in the 616?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    But even before then, was Marvel Rising through it’s books, toys, cartoons, etc connecting with it’s intended audience the way DC SHG is doing?
    i din't saw that much effort. Superhero girls thrived because of the OGNs, didn't saw that for Marvel Rising that was sold mostly on comics shop on flop format

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    So all those Marvel Rising comics were not set in the 616?
    I think some of them were. They mentioned events that happened in 616.

DC has always kicked Marvel's ass at animation.

Mighty Member

Here's my personal list:

1. Character Choices - DC had deaged their adult heroes. When you hear Supergirl, Batgirl, and Harley Quinn, you know who these people are. You might not know Jessica Cruz, but you do know Green Lantern either as John Stewart from the 90s Justice League or Hal Jordan from that awful film. What names were attached to Marvel Rising that a parent would have some vague knowledge of? Patriot - who? Ms. Marvel - oh yeah, that's Carol Danvers from that X-Men cartoon. Squirrel Girl - oh, the one from the memes. America Chavez - oh, the one who said "holy mensuration" yeah, not gonna let my kid watch this. As proven time and time again with movies, name brand isn't everything, but it does help.

2. Character Design - I've complained about the state of Marvel Animation before, but it really helps to not have this washed out look. While it's better than the cartoons airing at the time, that's not saying much. This is in contrast to DC Superhero Girls whose designs felt much more lively.

3. Marketing - I barely recall anything other than floppies for Marvel Rising, but I can remember graphic novels and actual novels at Target for DCSHG.

4. Overall Effort - DC really went all out with how they wanted this to be a franchise. I barely remember anything from Marvel Rising.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    Well that made the comics to be harder for new readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    And then they purposely torpedoed there best series, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes for something inferior.

Does anyone else miss the Marvel Superhero Squad? That was cute cartoon yet still pretty sharp with the humor. Ms Marvel was in that along and to a smaller degree the Scarlet Witch.
    Super Hero Squad was fun although I think it foreshadowed some of the animation issues of the later in-house Marvel shows (namely the choppiness).
    Probably Harley Quinn, who you have to admit is a bit missed up as a character, is more present in comics and merchandise than just about any female Marvel character you can name.
    This reminds me of when they were developing a Deadpool cartoon for FX, only for that to get canceled, which the teaser trailer for the HQ cartoon actually made fun of .

The problem is they try and make everything feel like the MCU. Which is an issue. Let animated stuff exist in a different universe. Give us adult cartoons like Harley Quinn. Shared this in the Elektra thread but it’d be interesting to get more marvel content in animated forms with some style.

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    Some fanart from tumblr for a fake Elektra Animated Series:

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    Yeah, the comics were set in 616. That's why Gwen was absent, she's an alternate universe character, though she's since started spending significant time in 616 as she enrolled in ESU there. It's also why the comics don't portray Kamala and Doreen as best friends like the cartoons did - Kamala barely knows Doreen having only met her for the first time in the first Marvel Rising comic.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, compare the rosters. DCSHG had Batgirl, Supergirl, Bumblebee, Green Lantern Cruz, Zatanna, Harley Quinn. They debuted between the 1950s and 1990s, except for Jess who's only from six years ago. Marvel Rising had Ghost-Spider, Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, Ironheart, Patriot, America Chavez, Inferno. Doreen is the only 20th century character there - she debuted in the 90s but only became popular around six years ago when she got her own book. Would Rising have been more successful if it was more like the Avengers Academy mobile game? That had de-aged versions of major characters, led by Wasp.
    At least the Marvel ones are not basically all clones of famous male characters.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

DC has been building up the DC Superhero Girls since the AmeComi comics and Bombshells so by the time the Lauren Faust show came along it already had some fans.

Also DC put more effort into their characters they marketed, 4 of the main characters are from the DC Trinity (Diana, Kara, Barbara and Harley) and the other characters appeared in other media like Teen Titans, Justice League and Young Justice.

Marvel Rising was a bunch of newbies.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Marvel has been kind of half-assing their animation front for the past 7-8 years.
    pretty much it's always been that way. For whatever reason they tend not to have shows that become as groundbreaking as the DC shows have been, despite the popularity of certain Marvel shows. It's generally been a results of "eh, good enough" and that's that.

When fan culture is often pressing Marvel Productions to try and poach folks from the DC/Warner Productions group, it kind of illustrates what this vocal contingent is mostly into..

As far as a young teen/tween girls hero show, it's possible, just-- well, don't be afraid to lean into the whimsical stories and odd designs, which is what the DC Girls show does. Shorter episodes designed for web viewing, that's another topic.

With Marvel, I say don't be afraid to de-age several heroes, like the DC show has done. Don't get nitipicky on what "team" they traditionally belong to. Forget about being hardcore about 'canon' and the traditional relationships the characters have.

So: Spectrum, She Hulk, Storm, Wasp (Janet), Rogue, Misty Knight, Scarlet Witch etc., use them in a teen-girls show.

If Marvel can get Gendy Tartakovski to get behind a show, or whoever was involved with PowerPuff Girls, then there's some potential wild stuff that could be done.