Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

LMAO at anyone using X-men: Red as an example of good team book. That's like saying Rosenberg's run is a nice upbeat story.

Anyway, the rotating cast is one book in a plethora of team books and works because there are so many fan favourites. I can't believe trying to turn this book into a team book when there are like two more team books on the horizon

BANNED

Tini Howard.

Yes, I'm kidding,

Either it would be Ewing or Gillen

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Wasn't Red just a Jean solo book with some advertised extras? That seems to be the reputation it has garnered.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if he said it out loud, but I think the implication was that was partially trying to wrap around why Injustice Wonder Woman is so out of character.
    I guess there is no easy work around for that since the Injustice universe is inherently awful, but I feel like there must be a better way to engineer Wonder Woman's descent than having Steve be a Nazi.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Wasn't Red just a Jean solo book with some advertised extras? That seems to be the reputation it has garnered.

I guess there is no easy work around for that since the Injustice universe is inherently awful, but I feel like there must be a better way to engineer Wonder Woman's descent than having Steve be a Nazi.
    In the letter pages of issue 3 Taylor says its Jeans story.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BANNED

Mike Carey please and thank you. Close thread.

BANNED

Red ran 11 issues. Of course there wasn't 4 different character arcs. (What X-books are yall reading that do have a bunch of solid actual arcs? Lol)

People still mad Jean had a story that wasn't about her husband lol. I cannot.

Tom Taylor would be a great choice. Give the man some leeway and watch him work. X-Men, X-23, Digimon X-Wars, it don't matter, he can write it lololol

Do any of the team books running now even have solid character arcs?

Red was a Jean story. It would also have been a much more positive and optimistic start of a relaunch than HoXPoX was.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Red ran 11 issues. Of course there wasn't 4 different character arcs. (What X-books are yall reading that do have a bunch of solid actual arcs? Lol)

Tom Taylor would be a great choice. Give the man some leeway and watch him work. X-Men, X-23, Digimon X-Wars, it don't matter, he can write it lololol
    Has anyone even implied that was their reason for disliking the book? I got the book specifically because it was Jean-centric and I wanted to see if Taylor could redeem the mediocre Phoenix Resurrection. I don't think he did, and even though there was nowhere to go but up he didn't do enough with what he had.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Has anyone even implied that was their reason for disliking the book? I got the book specifically because it was Jean-centric and I wanted to see if Taylor could redeem the mediocre Phoenix Resurrection. I don't think he did, and even though there was nowhere to go but up he didn't do enough with what he had.
    This conversation started because a user stated Taylor showed he could write a team book while Hickman could not and Red was used as an example as a team book despite it being a cheer leading session, and really several nations actually giving in fairly easily (it borders Mary Sue territory) to a speech despite 40 years of stories saying otherwise. Also everything is fixed by Jean in every issue. It was written as a solo despite it being advertised as one. Anyway the original point was Taylor did not a right a team book by his own admission so its not some boon over Hickman

Generation X volume 2 ran for 12 issues and had about 4-5 different character arcs

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Do any of the team books running now even have solid character arcs?
    Nope. And the main books haven't really since at least the Fraction era. Writers push forward one, maybe two, characters.

The book that comes to mind as far as actually doing this, the recent GenX, no one read. Before that, it was probably Gen Hope.

This particular criticism of Red isn't in good faith, imo, which is fine. We like what we like.

Anyway, Tom would make more great X-comics. We'd be in good hands. His X-work is legit.

Nope. And the main books haven't really since at least the Fraction era. Writers push forward one, maybe two, characters.

The book that comes to mind as far as actually doing this, the recent GenX, no one read. Before that, it was probably Gen Hope.

This particular criticism of Red isn't in good faith, imo, which is fine. We like what we like.

Anyway, Tom would make more great X-comics. We'd be in good hands. His X-work is legit.
    Kieron Gillen handled it well 7 out of
    10+ casts had their own plot threads or self contained story in the relaunch and his ongoing was derailed by a crossover.

Carey did well too.

Marauders is most like that. With just Pyro and Bishop missing another story which is due anyway

Kyle and Yost handled that massive cast well too in both New X-Men and X-Force.

Hell even Remenders X-Force.

That Blue/Gold/Red era gave the illusion of teams
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 12-01-2020 at 10:32 PM.

Mighty Member

I vote for Zeb Wells, he can turn a boring team into an interesting team.