Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

None.

The guy I think would be awesome is Transformers writer Brian Ruckley.

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    Alright, this is a good reason for him not helming X-men.

Ok that Hickman also is bad on team books it. So why not?

And that is a lot better than what Hickman delivers, impossible be a downgrade. I think he won't do it because Marve would ask him to sign exclusivity and he already said that he doesn't want to go exclusive.
    Also his niche for now is out of continuity tales like DCeased.
    So people can breathe and chill, that won't happen so soon.
    X-Men Red was written as a solo book. So that criticism of Hickman is not a boon for Taylor. X-Men Red had a confused message lacked direction and ended on a whimper.

Hickman >>>>>> Taylor

Kieron Gillen!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I think it might still be a bit too early to figure out who steers the ship next. Hickman's probably got another 3-5 years before he wraps his story up. Plus, we don't know how much of the status quo in Dawn of X is going to be kept after his run is over, do they keep the mutant island or not, and go back to more 'traditional' stories are all questions that I think probably aren't even being discussed right now.

Personally, I'd love an extended run of the X-Men by a POC, woman, or LGBTQ creator after this era is over.

Yep, I agree with all of that. Until we have an idea where the status quo is going to go, it's too soon to say who'd be the best writer to follow. It's also about time they chose someone who isn't a straight, white male.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    X-Men Red was written as a solo book. So that criticism of Hickman is not a boon for Taylor. X-Men Red had a confused message lacked direction and ended on a whimper.

Hickman >>>>>> Taylor
    Hickman x-en doesn't even has a team, x-men red was a team. There was nohing confused about it, now about krakoa is the pure ideological confunsion.
    So Tom>>>Hickman

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Dang, let the man finish his story first! I'm sure he's got at least a year or two more in the tank.
    Yes, this is what I'm thinking as well. Give the man room to complete his vision.

But, when it does become time for him to move on, I hope there isn't another grand architect to take his place. Give me some connective tissue between the books but let each book have its own vision. I don't need another 3 to 5 years of some singular story being told across all titles. It's great that we have Hickman and this kind of approach to the brand for the next few years but after that, I'm going to want a little more creative freedom from each book. Heck, give Duggan a few titles to work with that are closely telling the same overarching story, but only a few. Then give Cates a few and Ewing a couple to do the same thing. But then give a group of books to creatives that don't have to tie together any of their stories. I just hope that the House of X stays strong and varied and large in number. I want no less than 10 books at any given moment from the X Franchise moving forward. I can dream, right?!

Hickman x-en doesn't even has a team, x-men red was a team. There was nohing confused about it, now about krakoa is the pure ideological confunsion.
    So Tom>>>Hickman
    X-Men Red was a solo disguised as a team book to sell more. The rest of the cast got no development. The team went from some confused plan to bridge mutant human relations while ignoring the practicality to a black ops team violating international law then to Cassandra Nova being dumbed down for an Avenger X-Men finish with nothing achieved.

The complaints about it being a solo come from everyone who was on these boards and fans of the extra cast. If you dig up those review threads you'll see. Additionally, its painfully obvious the book is intended as a solo if you're being honest with yourself.

Hickmans world building has been second to none. His X-Men was never advertised as a team book. I've read better character development but his Apocalypse, Monet and Saturnyne have been delightful to read. I'm here for his story even if he hasn't written my favourites in a while or given then a role. The world building will only make the franchise stronger.

Taylor on the other had the benefit of being paired with a book with repeated scandals and a dead weight book where the ending was known from the start. It was nothing special. It was confused and the dialogue sounded like the characters which is an acceptable book. However, I've grown tired of sub par and low expectations and Hickman has been a light in a very dark and long journey

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I don't see why all the love for Taylor - what did he write? X-Men Red and Wolverine? it seems to me that anyone but Ewing would be a step down from Hickman, Taylor included, even on a purely craft-level.
    Taylor wrote probably the only feel good Wolverine run in existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    IDK, the well is so thoroughly poisoned for Injustice's continuity but even then what I've seen of the comics doesn't indicate Taylor is helping the situation there at all. Was it his idea to turn Steve Trevor into a Nazi?
    I don't know if he said it out loud, but I think the implication was that was partially trying to wrap around why Injustice Wonder Woman is so out of character.

BANNED

X-Men Red was a solo disguised as a team book to sell more. The rest of the cast got no development. The team went from some confused plan to bridge mutant human relations while ignoring the practicality to a black ops team violating international law then to Cassandra Nova being dumbed down for an Avenger X-Men finish with nothing achieved.

The complaints about it being a solo come from everyone who was on these boards and fans of the extra cast. If you dig up those review threads you'll see. Additionally, its painfully obvious the book is intended as a solo if you're being honest with yourself.

Hickmans world building has been second to none. His X-Men was never advertised as a team book. I've read better character development but his Apocalypse, Monet and Saturnyne have been delightful to read. I'm here for his story even if he hasn't written my favourites in a while or given then a role. The world building will only make the franchise stronger.

Taylor on the other had the benefit of being paired with a book with repeated scandals and a dead weight book where the ending was known from the start. It was nothing special. It was confused and the dialogue sounded like the characters which is an acceptable book. However, I've grown tired of sub par and low expectations and Hickman has been a light in a very dark and long journey
    Each of the team played a role, now it is complicated to characters development with 7 characters in 11 issues. Storm did her own thing, Gaby gave ideas, Gambit fought for someone else.

Well his story doesn't interest me, Apocalypse is a genocidal, Saturnyne still in love with same man after deades of him not caring for her, really laughable chaarcterization.
    Really criticize a book for being a solo, while saying that x-men was never mean to be a team book. use the same standarts to criticize

Each of the team played a role, now it is complicated to characters development with 7 characters in 11 issues. Storm did her own thing, Gaby gave ideas, Gambit fought for someone else.

Well his story doesn't interest me, Apocalypse is a genocidal, Saturnyne still in love with same man after deades of him not caring for her, really laughable chaarcterization.
    Really criticize a book for being a solo, while saying that x-men was never mean to be a team book. use the same standarts to criticize
    X-Men Red was advertised as a team book. Storm was an accessory. Go and ask the Storm fans their thoughts. The entire cast were props for the lead. Your examples aren't examples. They had zero development they did things to prop up the solo lead and Taylor was met with criticism for it. He scrambled to actually make the rest of the cast more then props in the last two issues due to the criticism but the series was cancelled by then.

X-Men under Hickman was advertised as an ensemble. Do you know when the roster was revealed you had 100 characters on the screen. Its a book used to move the overarching plot forward and tell short stories like Fractions Uncanny or X-Men v4 with the changing cast

BANNED

X-Men Red was advertised as a team book. Storm was an accessory. Go and ask the Storm fans their thoughts. The entire cast were props for the lead. Your examples aren't examples. They had zero development they did things to prop up the solo lead and Taylor was met with criticism for it. He scrambled to actually make the rest of the cast more then props in the last two issues due to the criticism but the series was cancelled by then.

X-Men under Hickman was advertised as an ensemble. Do you know when the roster was revealed you had 100 characters on the screen. Its a book used to move the overarching plot forward and tell short stories like Fractions Uncanny or X-Men v4 with the changing cast
    My examples are pretty good, all characters participated on the plot of book. I don't even think the main chaarcter was developed, a team book i smore than character development: all characters have to participate on the plot.

It still is double standarts, specially wasting a title like x-men swith Apocalypse drama and whatever side plot Hickman is doing.

My examples are pretty good, all characters participated on the plot of book. I don't even think the main chaarcter was developed, a team book i smore than character development: all characters have to participate on the plot.

It still is double standarts, specially wasting a title like x-men swith Apocalypse drama and whatever side plot Hickman is doing.
    Thats not a double standard means, both books were advertised as different things. And to bring it back to the original point which was the comment that Taylor wrote a well rounded team book. In which case he didn't.

Your examples are akin to Storm laying around in a puddle of her own drool in X-Men Gold therefore it was a team book. With that said she actually did have her own brief story in it involving an evil god which makes it more of a team book then X-Men Red

In a solo characters also participate to advance the main characters plot.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 12-01-2020 at 08:16 PM.

BANNED

Thats not a double standard means, both books were advertised as different things. And to bring it back to the original point which was the comment that Taylor wrote a well rounded team book. In which case he didn't.

Your examples are akin to Storm laying around in a puddle of her own drool in X-Men Gold therefore it was a team book. With that said she actually did have her own brief story in it which makes it more of a team book then X-Men Red

In a solo characters also participate to advance the main characters plot.
    But Taylor book isn't a solo, there is a whole team with each member doing things. That is what a team book is.
    The plot of Red was to defeat Cassandra and end the irrational hate for mutants, it wasn't to advance the main character plot.

My examples are completely different from Gold, Storm helped the team by going rogue. She had more agency than Gold where she was almost all time sleeping.

It's not a erfect team book, too many character for few issues but felt more like a tem book than majority of x-men books now

But Taylor book isn't a solo, there is a whole team with each member doing things. That is what a team book is.
    The plot of Red was to defeat Cassandra and end the irrational hate for mutants, it wasn't to advance the main character plot.

My examples are completely different from Gold, Storm helped the team by going rogue. She had more agency than Gold where she was almost all time sleeping.

It's not a erfect team book, too many character for few issues but felt more like a tem book than majority of x-men books now
    There are no character arcs for the rest of the team its focused on one character. How is it any different to a Wolverine solo he has a supporting cast who 'does stuff '

Storm had her own story you can say the development was poor but the writer did attempt to give each character an arc and over laying story thread which wasn't present in Red.

Storm was mind controlled in Red and did not have a story arc which she had in Gold. She had no ongoing plot and neither did the others