Default Future State? Just Futures End?

I'm still pissed about my wasted time and money with Futures End years ago. Now we have another "event" that promises to show a potential DC future. This one isn't a weekly time and money suck, but am I justified being wary of another event like this?

How can a story written 5 years ago by different writers havr any bearing on a new series of books?

Personally I loved the Earth 2 books, Convergence, and Worlds End... just collected my first Future's End book.

But again not sure how 1 series of stories relates to this new run...other then they deal with future timelines...

What exactly disappointed you so much with Futures End?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I remember how poorly Superman's story in Futures End was fleshed out, and yet how dope it almost was thematically. It never stuck the landing either, despite that really wild 'n rad cliffhanger of Bruce Springsteen Superman rocking that beard and looking down right messianic while charging headfirst into the main plot of the book. He got there and, what, got knocked out? I barely can remember.

Aquaman was also living on some weird island with Ya'Wara. I actually read that one recently.

I'm spinning off topic here but yeah Futures End was a whole lot of whatever. Future State looks absolutely terrific and rich with creativity. There's really nothing in common. One was an event, this is just little tastes of possible stories and concepts that might be used later on.

Yeah Futures End IMO was a complete waste of time, totally pointless and never referred to again (which is crazy since it was nearly a year long event). Just wary of getting sucked into another waste of time showing a potential DC future that won't mean anything in the long run.

But yes, it does seem interesting, hence why I came here to talk about it!

Mighty Member

My biggest gripe with Future's End is when the series ended. Tim Drake remains in that future and the outcome unchanged, he continues on as Batman Beyond, with McGinnis and Wayne dead. Then rebirth rolls around, and poof, sorry our bad. Drake no longer exists, McGinnis and Wayne are still alive, carry on. Waste of a good writing opportunity IMO.

Astonishing Member

Definitely don't waste your money on a stop-gap space-filler micro-event. There's nothing in particular wrong with Alt-Future storylines. But there's all kinds of quandaries with line-wide things that tie in so many titles eating up your dollar for no payoff. Futures' End was a particularly BAD series and Alt-Future storyline, needlessly grim, stupid, illogical, with no actual ending planned, all to just be wiped clean by Convergence as its lousy payoff culmination. While there's certainly story beats that will be introduced in Future State that introduce concepts that might get picked up here and there in the mainstream stories, it'll doubtless just be a handful.

But there's likely to be some good stories by some creative writers in the mix, and if there's anything properly worth checking out just come back here and look for people's recommendations. It won't kill anyone to just check out one or two really neat stories or issues and ignore or Wiki the rest later. We do often do pretty extensive bullet point breakdowns of these sorts of things, and list them with some sort of grade or recommendation.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    My biggest gripe with Future's End is when the series ended. Tim Drake remains in that future and the outcome unchanged, he continues on as Batman Beyond, with McGinnis and Wayne dead. Then rebirth rolls around, and poof, sorry our bad. Drake no longer exists, McGinnis and Wayne are still alive, carry on. Waste of a good writing opportunity IMO.
    I think the basis of how you guys enjoy a story greatly differs how I enjoy a story.

If the story takes me on a wild fun ride, I enjoy the art and writing, I enjoy the actual time while reading... then I ve enjoyed myself and its a good story, regardless of the ending in many circumstances...

Personally story lines don't need to be referenced in future books... frankly most stories don't have long lasting impact....

If you had fun reading it, its a good story... don't over think it

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    I think the basis of how you guys enjoy a story greatly differs how I enjoy a story.

If the story takes me on a wild fun ride, I enjoy the art and writing, I enjoy the actual time while reading... then I ve enjoyed myself and its a good story, regardless of the ending in many circumstances...

Personally story lines don't need to be referenced in future books... frankly most stories don't have long lasting impact....

If you had fun reading it, its a good story... don't over think it
    Yes! Exactly! One thing that might be great with these is that the stories are finished within two months. I have no problem with that!

Always Rakzo

Hopefully it will have a better ending.

Futures End was not a bad series as a whole but that conclusion was one of the worst.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I actually enjoyed future's end a lot and I wasn't expecting too, I liked how it took some interesting twists and turns. I want to do a re-read eventually.