Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I know I'm in the minority, but I wanted Julia Roberts' character to get the guy in My Best Friend's Wedding.

It ruined it for me when he ended up with Cameron Diaz's character.
    I have the completely opposite reaction. If Julia Roberts had ended up with the guy, it would be just another forgettable 90s rom com. The fact that her behavior did not win the guy for her and she made an effort to help patch things up redeems her character and makes the movie a brilliant deconstruction.

Astonishing Member

"The Mist". The story also had a terrible ending, but the movie made it even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Actually, I would go with the ending for Peggy being a let down. They just sort of saw that Peggy and Stan were unattached and summarily stuck them together, like "will this do?". It was kind of lazy and a disservice to both characters.
    They did seem to have some awkward attraction earlier on, but yeah it did kind of pop up again for no real reason, although Peggy did have some really weird boyfriends while Stan was relatively stable.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The Force Awakens : Rey should never have won the fight.

The Rise of Skywalker : Rey should never have defeated Palpatine. Rey should not have kissed Kylo.

Ultimate Member

The Harry Potter books and films foreshadowed at least twice, maybe three times that the Sorting Hat thought that the 'House' system was dragging them all down and at the root of their internal factionalizing (and hinted in the first book that Harry was supposed to be a Slytherin, but begged otherwise, and later books suggested that Ron was terrified he'd be the first in his family to 'fail' to be a Griffindor and get dumped in Hufflepuff, and that Hermione was 'a natural' Ravenclaw).

With that foreshadowing, and Snape's snarky comment to Harry 'If *I* was your advisor you wouldn't get away with this...' I felt like the endgame would require the three friends to quit House Griffindor and split up to the Houses they seemed to have been meant to join originally, and to drag them kicking and screaming into unity (and for that to be a particularly grueling task for Harry, in Slytherin, with Snape as his advisor, but not a cakewalk for Hermione to convince her new Ravenclaw housemates that joining together is the *smart* thing to do, or Ron to herd those Hufflepuff cats...). Meanwhile, Griffindor would remain in the surprisingly capable hands of that kid who seemed least 'Griffindor' from the start, but grew into his courage, Neville.

And the four Houses would come together and kumbaya, good prevails.

But no. Stupid Hat and stupid Chekov's gun, just lying there on the table, unfired at the end.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Hard to tell since the whole thing was so bad, but Titanic.

Aaand apart from the Death Star going kabloom, Jedi.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Hard to tell since the whole thing was so bad, but Titanic.
    Titanic should end with Rose rescued from the water by an even bigger ship, but then a shadow comes over the deck and everyone looks up to see an asteroid falling out of the sky. “Here we go again!”.

Limitless: the whole film wraps itself up in a happy ending that seems unearned and doesn't tie with all the viewer has learned about the drug. I felt that it should have ended with him being killed. I see that it was based on a book, and low and behold, the book has a darker ending with the protagonist drifting into a presumably permanent coma.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post

The Rise of Skywalker : Rey should never have defeated Palpatine. Rey should not have kissed Kylo.
    Did Rey ever suffer any defeats? She just dances through the movies doing impossible thing after impossible thing. Although I don't think changing that would have fixed the trilogy, it would be a good start.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post

You really don't like Rey, do you?
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Did Rey ever suffer any defeats? She just dances through the movies doing impossible thing after impossible thing. Although I don't think changing that would have fixed the trilogy, it would be a good start.
    Kylo beats her in the 3rd. Really Palpatine had won too but deus ex machina and whatever.

Having finished HBO's "the Undoing" last night, I would say they definitely needed to rewrite the ending, insofar as it required a character who was supposed to the top criminal defense attorney in the country to suddenly turn into a moron who not only made a terrible rookie mistake but then admitted to her client she committed malpractice.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Are you of the opinion that Betty should have been spared because of her looks? I think she ultimately got what she deserved - she was a miserable human being who ultimately brought her downfall upon herself.
    Of course not. But she was beautiful.

I just didn't care for that ending for the character. She was going back to college to accomplish something. Plus, even though she was a bad mother, her boys did love her. As a result, they were going to have to move in with an uncle and aunt who already had a family and start a new school, etc...

And by the way, that show was filled with miserable human beings - most of who smoked like a chimney. Why was Betty singled out on the lung cancer lotto?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Kylo curbstomps her on Takodana and almost beats her while badly wounded in TFA. She completely botches her Force vision and nearly loses her life in TLJ, thanks to being utterly helpless to Snoke, and, incidentally, failing to recruit Kylo like she intented. She only beats Kylo (and after having undertaken formal training just now) because he was distracted in TROS and nearly gives up to Palpatine before a repentant Kylo comes to help, and even then is not only hopelessly outmatched before a badly weakened Palpatine without the backing of the past Jedi, but even then the effort kills her (with Kylo using the healing trick being the only reason she survives).

On top of that, she's shown to struggle with self-doubt and controlling her temper in different ways across the series.

So, to answer your question, yes, very much so.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The Harry Potter books and films foreshadowed at least twice, maybe three times that the Sorting Hat thought that the 'House' system was dragging them all down and at the root of their internal factionalizing (and hinted in the first book that Harry was supposed to be a Slytherin, but begged otherwise, and later books suggested that Ron was terrified he'd be the first in his family to 'fail' to be a Griffindor and get dumped in Hufflepuff, and that Hermione was 'a natural' Ravenclaw).

With that foreshadowing, and Snape's snarky comment to Harry 'If *I* was your advisor you wouldn't get away with this...' I felt like the endgame would require the three friends to quit House Griffindor and split up to the Houses they seemed to have been meant to join originally, and to drag them kicking and screaming into unity (and for that to be a particularly grueling task for Harry, in Slytherin, with Snape as his advisor, but not a cakewalk for Hermione to convince her new Ravenclaw housemates that joining together is the *smart* thing to do, or Ron to herd those Hufflepuff cats...). Meanwhile, Griffindor would remain in the surprisingly capable hands of that kid who seemed least 'Griffindor' from the start, but grew into his courage, Neville.

And the four Houses would come together and kumbaya, good prevails.

But no. Stupid Hat and stupid Chekov's gun, just lying there on the table, unfired at the end.

Good points, I thought that was gonna happen after watching the first or the second movie..