Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default What would you like done with Mr. Oz?

It should be noted that this doesn't mean anything further needs to be done with Jor-El, but rather the unanswered questions regarding Mr. Oz and who was pulling his strings. I think the best solution would be use those Tales of the Dark Multiverse specials with Doomsday Clock in which Dark Ozymandias and Dark Doc Manhattan were responsible.

Or would that be too inside baseball?

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Retconning what they did with Jor-El through using the Dark Multiverse seems like a novel way to fix things. They could also fix it by having Dr. Manhattan undo his tampering with history himself. I want them to show what the plans were for Tim Drake, Doomsday, Mr. Mxyzptlk, and that weird multiversal villain with Superman's colors from that one storyline that had all the multiversal Supermen. They whole thing with Mr. Oz is such a mess. What Mr. Oz was doing seems beneath Jor-El even if he did make a heel turn.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Probably just retcon it out. Plucking Jor-El from the timestream ultimately didn't do anything beneficial for any character involved. Like Power Girl's baby, some plots are best abandoned.

Move on and let’s leave it in the dustbin of history. There’s no real point in bringing that stuff back up, it’s just another of Johns dropped plot threads.

Thumbs up

Retcon all the way but failing that ignore, same goes for Rogel Zaar in my book.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Just forget about it. Whatever the new DC brass has planned for March, things are going to be different and so it'll probably be a fine opportunity to just quietly remove/no longer reference unwanted stuff without any hubub.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

A couple years ago I wanted some explanation on who was pulling OZ's strings and his connection to the dual Supermen In the New 52...and an explanation on WHY there were two Supermen co-existing in the New 52 era. (Yeah,we know the outside the page reason...but not the in universe reason.)

Now? I really don't care. Things are what they are and we are soon to be two eras removed from it all and it's clear with whatever is coming in March that DC wants to move on from the whole New 52/Rebirth/Doomsday Clock/Death Metal Crisis stuff. We should let them.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

He’s really the Monitor from the Crisis, who became amnesiac, and was convinced he’s really Jor El, saved from destruction to shepherd the multiverse and return it to its former glory.

Extraordinary Member

Reveal that Mr Oz and Mr Orr are the same person

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Reveal that Mr Oz and Mr Orr are the same person
    Mr. Orr...now that is a name I haven't heard in a long time...a long time.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Astonishing Member

The world has forgotten that there were two Supermen simultaneously. (Heck, even the surviving one has forgotten it!) Mr. Oz should be given the same treatment. If some "explanation" has to be given for it, say that it was Mxy pulling his own strings via someone he created for that specific purpose, out of sheer boredom from his always pulling everybody else's.

Kinda like everyone else, this for me is more of a "I wish they'd done this back then" and not a "they need to do this now" kinda thing.

So my answer to "What would I like done with Mr. Oz?": Nothing.

However, "What do I wish they'd have done with Mr. Oz?" That's a different story. I'd have then give Jurgens (since this became his baby, basically) a several issue special to tie up things so they're in place where Bendis was (if that's all staying in place). I don't know if we need a "Dark Manhattan"/etc, but Jor-El being from the Dark Multiverse is actually a great idea; especially if he's taken from a time before things turn dark (say, one of the other dark multiverses we've already seen like the "Lois is Eradicator" one), then he's essentially the same Jor-El but also not - leaving "our" continuity's Jor-El unscathed (since I know some here had a BIG problem with that).

They find a way into Mr. Oz's fortress and break the prisoners (sans Doomsday) out. Mr. Oz, with a new controlling staff, puts up a fight but he's outmatched. They break the staff again, grabbing key components from it for study and another device in this fortress initiates a self destruct. Before they can do more, Jor-El's kryptonite poisoning comes back with a vengence - so they all escape and take him back to the Fortress of Solitude. Kelex uses pieces of the staff to stop the poisoning, but makes a particular mention that this fix will eventually become unstable and they don't know how long it will last (Kelex's best estimation is a few years, but can't say for certain).

Now, everything is clear, and the El/Kent family share some good moments.. until Jor starts talking about how Kryptonian-influenced Jon's upbringing should be. Jor pushes the issue: because he couldn't raise Kal in more of the Kryptonian ways, he wants to make up for this with Jon; Lois and Clark believe his intentions are good, but they aren't having it. Things are still decent, but they're left tense. That sets us up for Bendis's issues.

If I could make one change to Doomsday Clock, I'd do this: not much later, something happens to Jor while helping the Superman Family on a mission. His help is what ends things, but it shorts what's keeping the poisoning away, and he knows he doesn't have much time left and there's no way to fix it. So he puts a plan in motion that he'd been thinking of; with Lois, Clark, and Jon together, he apologizes for not letting things go and enjoying the time they had more. He says "I can't be a part of your life the way I'd wanted to, or show you so much of Krypton that I'd hoped to. But, as a grandfather... as a father, I can at least give you this last gift. Think of them, and think of me. As I did so many years ago, I give them to you, again. My son." A portal opens, Jor hugs them and then steps through it..... and then Jonathan and Martha Kent step out. The portal then closes, and Jor is never seen again.
    Last edited by JAK; 12-02-2020 at 02:49 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Having Mr. Oz be from the Dark Multiverse is a wonderful way to tie up the loose ends of Doomsday Clock.

That's head canon now. Thanks!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Having Mr. Oz be from the Dark Multiverse is a wonderful way to tie up the loose ends of Doomsday Clock.

That's head canon now. Thanks!
    It does restore some of Jor-El's good name, too. I'm rolling with it as well.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't know, the job market is really dried up at the moment. Maybe he can work part time at IKEA. Not that it'll pay him even enough for groceries- but next time Lois and Clark need a new kitchen table or whatever Mr. Oz can not help them find it in the warehouse.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-03-2020 at 05:14 PM.