Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default 5th Namor the Sub-Mariner Advent Calendar

We are back for a fifth year of sharing some Namor cheer for each of the 24 days until Christmas!

The theme for this year's calendar will be:

Team-Ups!

If you'd like a more commercial Christmas thread, visit The Namor75-The-Advent-Calendar, where there was lots of Namor themed items posted one could collect.

Or visit The Second Annual Namor the Sub-Mariner Advent Calendar, where the theme was: The Heroism of Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner, aka All the Times Namor Has Saved Those Ungrateful Airbreathers.

The Third Annual Namor the Sub-Mariner Advent Calendar Thread had a great theme -- Subby Slugfests! -- but was a victim of my Christmas overload and wasn't completed. Hopefully I'll be able to revisit it and finish it in the future.

The Fourth Annual Namor the Sub-Mariner Advent Calendar Thread was -- Favorite Covers!
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-02-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Default Day 24

24 Days to Christmas

Lady Dorma

In honor of the upcoming King In Black Namor mini-series by Kurt Busiek, I’m starting with Namor’s very first team-up, in Marvel Comics #1, which was with Lady Dorma!

Unlike many future team-ups, this one doesn’t start with Namor fighting with Dorma. Instead, Lady Dorma does what she usually does, i.e. insist on joining Namor on his adventure. The first 8 pages of this story is actually a reprint of Bill Everett’s story for Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1. Lady Dorma isn’t in those pages, but in the new pages that Bill Everett drew specifically for Marvel Comics #1. Which also makes this the very first appearance of Lady Dorma.

Bonus picture, the original art of the last page of the story, which is also the oldest piece of Marvel art in existence. It also shows Lady Dorma is no shrinking violet, but a capable companion.

Last edited by Reviresco; 12-04-2020 at 12:14 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Yay! Thanks Rev! I love our Annual Namor Advent Calendar!

Team-Ups are perfect, especially in this year of 2020 where we all need to "team-up" to help others/each other!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Good to see you're doing this again. I may just do my Twelve Days of Doom Christmas this year if I can find some good "presents" to riff from.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yay! Thanks Rev! I love our Annual Namor Advent Calendar!

Team-Ups are perfect, especially in this year of 2020 where we all need to "team-up" to help others/each other!
    Didn't think of that, but have to agree 200%. And thank you! Always nice to see folks appreciating Namor.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Good to see you're doing this again. I may just do my Twelve Days of Doom Christmas this year if I can find some good "presents" to riff from.
    Definitely! Doom has had a pretty good year. Plus, some cool new merchandise. I just picked up the Retro Boxed Hasbro action figure. He's so awesome!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Didn't think of that, but have to agree 200%. And thank you! Always nice to see folks appreciating Namor.

Definitely! Doom has had a pretty good year. Plus, some cool new merchandise. I just picked up the Retro Boxed Hasbro action figure. He's so awesome!
    Yeah and I really like the box it came in. The only thing I may change is getting some model paint and changing the Ultimate Nullifier to a gray color like in the comics. I like that part of his hood is cloth. Doom army is growing! I can't recall a time when there were so many action figures and statues out there. I have this one on preorder for next year

Default Day 23

23 Days to Christmas

NAMORA

Pay no attention to the Original Human Torch trying to horn in on this team-up on the cover. Jim Hammond doesn’t appear in Namora and Namor’s story.

Namora first appeared late in 1947, and by the Atlas era sadly seems to have taken Lady Dorma’s place as Namor’s Atlantean ‘sidekick.’ But she delivers such classic team-ups as this one, where Namor “infiltrates” a water show and is forced to wear this amazing costume, affectionately known as, “FIN!”

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yeah and I really like the box it came in. The only thing I may change is getting some model paint and changing the Ultimate Nullifier to a gray color like in the comics. I like that part of his hood is cloth. Doom army is growing! I can't recall a time when there were so many action figures and statues out there. I have this one on preorder for next year
    The box is great! That's part of what sold me on this figure. And yes! But I'm not going to complain about new Doom merchandise. ;p

Default Day 22

22 Days to Christmas

Spider-Man

Today’s team-up is from an actual team-up book, Marvel Team-Up 14. Unlike the previous two team-ups, Namor and Spider-Man’s co-operative adventures usually started with a misunderstanding, followed by a fight, followed by realization, followed, finally, by the team-up. Namor and Spidey just never seemed to get along when they first meet. It may have something to do with Spider-Man’s cocky quipping and Namor’s prickly personality.

But once matters are explained and apologies offered, Namor and Spider-Man combine their powers in the true spirit of team-up. Yes, Namor is the power boat for a water skiing Spidey.

Default Day 22

Bonus picture! Spider-Man actually teams up with Namor to defeat the trumpet tooting Doctor Doom in Spidey Super Stories 53!

Default Day 21

21 Days to Christmas

Triton

One of my favorite team-ups, this issue was actually the second part of the story of Namor and Triton’s first meeting. Sub-Mariner 2 has a more iconic cover, in fact it appears on a T-shirt, but this one is special to me. Plus this team-up is actually held together by chaining Namor and Triton together like Sidney Poitier and Tony Curtis in THE DEFIANT ONES! Bound by an energy bracelet, Namor and Triton are forced to work together to save London, and to discover what sort of person they are chained to.

Continued in next post!
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-04-2020 at 11:45 PM.

Default Day 21

After defeating Plantman, the team-up becomes a budding friendship. Triton’s relationship with Namor is now practically ignored, especially during the Inhumans push, but when Namor had his own book, Triton appeared regularly and was a good friend, as well as an ambassador to the surface world. It was Triton who announced Namor’s engagement to Lady Dorma to the UN. It was Triton who saved Namor’s life, and got him a new costume, when he brought the chemically poisoned Namor to Reed Richards. And it was Triton and Namor, in an Oscar worthy acting performance, who worked together to save Susan and Reed Richards marriage in Fantastic Four 149.

I’m not sure the last time these two team-up. The last I remember seeing was in the Inhumans mini-series by Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee, and that Triton had an altered history with Namor, that appeared to ignore continuity, including the fact that it was Triton who had a part in the catastrophic raising of Atlantis.

The Triton/Namor relationship really does need to come up more. Its always entertaining whenever they meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    The Triton/Namor relationship really does need to come up more. Its always entertaining whenever they meet up.
    It really does. I'd forgotten how often Triton had appeared in Namor's book, and how often they helped each other. I didn't care for the change in the Jenkins and Lee's Inhumans series, made Triton much older, and someone who knew his parents??? I need to do more reading on Triton. I think he gets treated much better, with more to do in Namor's book, since he's aquatic.

Default Day 20

20 Days to Christmas

Man-Thing

I think this is the only time Namor and Man-Thing (sort of) team-up and it was a poetic, trippy art masterpiece! I say ‘sort of’ because Man-Thing seemed to be possessed by other spirits, or versions of himself. This team-up doesn’t start with a fight, but by a Neptune directed quest to the Nexus of All Realities …

… where he meets Man-Thing who ‘sings’ to him. “Child of the sea,” it caroled. “Child of the earth. A wounded, raging soul from birth. Devil’s ears, angel’s wings …” – which is such a perfect take on Namor.

They end up going to the ancient past, and visiting Atlantis before it sank, and encounter the Atlantean goddess Cleito, to fulfill their quest.