Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

I'd considered changing my entry earlier, but didn't know the policy on that... but I am a bit surprised no one chose this.

Congratulations, Kirby!
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Kirb! Cool win, I've never sat through the Hoff Fury so off to You Tube I go. Tuh, I thumbed my nose at Hoff Fury for so long the MCU showed up. The young punks these days don't understand how rare ANY superhero adaptation was back in the dark ages of the 1980's (unless you really dug Swamp Thing that is). I feel we all had an idea that we'd get more comic book adaptations and they would get bigger and better, thank you Batman 89 but it still amazes me how varied and big they got.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The Fantastic Four was my intro into Marvel Comics so this is something that really annoys me. They've done 3 movies at Fox and all of them failed to bring the comic to the screen to the satisfaction of the fans. Infamously, Galactus appears as a cloud in the 2nd movie.

OK. I hear this a lot but I honestly don't know what more can be done with a live action FF than what we got. Sure, you have to mix ALL 4 (!!) of them (Corman, Trank and 2 Story's) together to get one that passes but what are we really missing here? Doom, yes, far to go, biggest best argument. Galactus, yes the cloud was the wrong way to go but we got Reed, we got Sue and rockman and hotman, we got em in New York. I think nostalgia plays a part in the FF like no other characters do. 90% of it is you don't forget your first? Now I'm not versed in the Herbie abomination but I've owned bootlegs of the 60's version and I'll still take the two Story films as pretty damn faithful adaptations. :shrug: Help me understand is all.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Congrats Kirb, and thanks for the votes, Riv86672 and Stony!

Fury is an interesting choice. The old version from the 616 has never been successfully put on screen, despite several attempts. But the Ultimate Fury is practically the same on screen as he is in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    OK. I hear this a lot but I honestly don't know what more can be done with a live action FF than what we got. Sure, you have to mix ALL 4 (!!) of them (Corman, Trank and 2 Story's) together to get one that passes but what are we really missing here? Doom, yes, far to go, biggest best argument. Galactus, yes the cloud was the wrong way to go but we got Reed, we got Sue and rockman and hotman, we got em in New York. I think nostalgia plays a part in the FF like no other characters do. 90% of it is you don't forget your first? Now I'm not versed in the Herbie abomination but I've owned bootlegs of the 60's version and I'll still take the two Story films as pretty damn faithful adaptations. :shrug: Help me understand is all.
    I'll retire to bedlam! The FF should not be as hard as it has been to put on screen, it really shouldn't. I felt that the two Story versions got the chemistry between the 4 mostly right, at least on an acceptable level. But nothing else was done right. Problem is that I think filmmakers struggle with the idea of exploration as a core concept in a world that feels mostly explored. They struggle with concepts like Doom being a brilliant scientist and a benevolent (in Doom's view!) autocrat who delves in magic.

You have to helm the FF with someone who considers them as presented in the 1960s to be supercool. Someone who does not see them as hokey, and embraces the core concepts with respect and joy instead of cynicism.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Congratulations to Kirby101 With all the Christmas hustle and bustle I forgot to vote! No matter, my vote would have just made the margin of victory bigger!

Thumbs up

Congrats Kirby

and thanks for the vote Rob Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Thanks Shalla Bal. wow, I don't recall this cartoon at all. I do recall that I did see some of the Gantray-Lawrence cartoons and even as a kid I thought the quality of them was pretty bad.
    This was an episode I only saw as an adult, a few years ago. The images (as I'm sure already know) were taken directly from the comics themselves, so for example in the episode I posted, we get a lot of Kirby-Colletta panels from that FF Annual #3 ... along with some Colan Namor from Tales to Astonish! Such a great hodgepodge, even if the animation is primitive (or non-existent).

And Pietro in short pants in the cartoon adaptation, lol...

Last edited by Shalla Bal; 12-09-2020 at 07:21 PM.