Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Luke Cage Appreciation 2020

(I don't see any 2020 threads active, so...)

Welcome to the Luke Cage 2021 Appreciation thread!

---

First inquiry: Does anyone know how many Trade Paperbacks there are for Luke's tenure on the Thunderbolts team?

never forget the day Luke Cage pummelled Doctor Doom

has to be first page of every thread.

up next either Cage K.Oing Rhino or him thrashing the Dark Avengers......maybe Proxima midnight that was a good one too.
    The J-man

Astonishing Member

A bit early, don't you think?

Yes. There wasn't a 2020 Luke Cage Appreciation Thread already - but this will probably be locked up with all the others four weeks from now. I would've waited until New Year's Eve, personally.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Anybody else think that Luke was ruined by being written into a family? I feel that him being a hero as solo, or with team is fine. I also felt he should progressed, or elevated to something bigger than street bum beater. What if he operated as a SHIELD special agent.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Anybody else think that Luke was ruined by being written into a family? I feel that him being a hero as solo, or with team is fine. I also felt he should progressed, or elevated to something bigger than street bum beater. What if he operated as a SHIELD special agent.
    I mean he was leader of the Avengers and he was running the raft and the Thunderbolts for a time, then he was an entreupeneur for a time too
    The J-man

Invincible Member

I thought that making him a married man with a family made him unique for a moment. It happened right around the time that Marvel and DC were undoing many of their superhero marriages. And please, do not make him a SHIELD agent...SHIELD is connected to too many people and things at Marvel.

Having said that, I do agree that Luke should be taking on bigger threats and more complex storylines. There's no reason he couldn't be mixing it up with someone like Rhino or whoever or bring down some major govt conspiracy.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Honestly, giving him a family added a complexity to the character that you don't see with other superheroes. Making him a SHIELD agent would have ripped him from his roots entirely and wouldn't really have felt in-character (besides the idea that he's a professional hero and does it for a living). So I don't think that would have been a good idea.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I'd like to see a mini series teaming up Luke with Dr. Voodoo, and it involves a cult of bad guys. I'd even be supportive of a new "Marvel Team-Up" or Two In One but with Luke as the featured hero.

Oh, can't forget-- Luke should really have had annual "Sweet Christmas Specials" one-shots for some years now.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Honestly, giving him a family added a complexity to the character that you don't see with other superheroes. Making him a SHIELD agent would have ripped him from his roots entirely and wouldn't really have felt in-character (besides the idea that he's a professional hero and does it for a living). So I don't think that would have been a good idea.
    I agree.

Part of the appeal for me about Luke Cage is that he is one of the everyman type superheroes. His perspective is often that of the average guy on the street which even carries over into the big events he pops up in.

Cage took on the 'for-profit prison industrial complex' in his short solo run a couple years back. Ta-Nehisi Coates did a similar thing with Captain America and Von Strucker's prison storyline.

I would be surprised if some writer hasn't probably pitched a Black Live Matter storyline to Marvel given this years current events.

I never saw that story where Luke beat up Doom, but I loved the pics Jabare! Thanks for posting them.

I always liked Luke. His personality was catchy, fun and serious all wrapped up. Plus, I loved all of his old expressions too!

"Sweet Christmas!"

No but they should’ve choose a better character/choice for him to be married to..

BANNED

Luke Cage -- the only person who has undergone "Power Man" Process twice

BANNED

Yeah, that is why Cage increased in strength. Many fans just think Marvel upgraded him.

Did the second treatment enhance his durabilty?

Just how strong was Luke orginally? I have seen 1 ton, 3 tons and 10 tons. Currently, some say Luke is CL 25 while others say Cl 50. Isn't Cl 25 more accurate?