View Poll Results: Are you enjoying Tamaki's run?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 6.45%
  • No

29 93.55%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Are you enjoying Mariko Tamaki's run?

As the title says; it's been almost 10 issues of Mariko Tamaki's run so far. Are you enjoying it?

I kept the poll options simple: yes if you're reading the book and enjoying it, or no if you're reading it and not enjoying it, or if you read some of it and dropped it.

I'm personally not a fan of the run. In fact, it might beat out Robinson's run as second worst of the modern era. It's a shame, but I didn't like Tamaki's She-Hulk either so I'm not too surprised. I think had she not been saddled with Max Lord and Liar Liar for a dozen issues, she could've done something much better.

First two or three issues were okay but didn’t really wow me, so just had to drop it. Wouldn’t call it the worst but I largely feel the same way about I did Fontana’s brief fill in run after Rucka.

Though I probably dislike Max Lord more than Jason at this point.

I thought GWW was a boring writer..... by the Gods I was wrong. I dropped the book after GWW's first ark, I thought the premise of finding out what happened to the Olympians would be a nice jumping point to a grand epic, not only did that not happen as none of the questions were answered, but we took a huge detour that added nothing and destroyed some very important elements in WW's mythos (the gauntlets breaking, Aphro's death, everything involving atalanties, Maggie, the three bumbling magical idiots). Its a shame because I felt like Orlando was too busy cleaning GWW's mess to really focus on his stories that he wanted to tell.

Tamaki on the other hand has this very unimaginative mind. You could chop the forced inclusion of Maxell Lord to editorial mandates but I seriously doubt that the whole story was written by the editors. Tamaki had a lot of directions to go into with Max, ideally involving his more outlandish moments like taking control over other super beings, instead we get Lair Lair.... a bad villain with no motivation or reason for being who frankly has no business dealing with a hero like Wonder Woman. Tamaki teases with "cool" moments but fails on delivery, anti climactic is an understatement with her plots. We couldn't even see Diana stop a nuke for crying out loud, like she hasn't punched nukes before. More then half the time I wondered if she lost her ability to fly, let alone the fact that she seems weaker and less impressive by every issue. Tamaki's dialogue is average at best, honestly it would read as filler if her plot and action were better. But there doesn't seem to be any flow to her stories. Diana's whole suspicion of Max is redundant and pointless when you remember that she has a magic lasso that forces people to tell the truth, in all its forms. It also makes Diana look like a complete idiot, trusting Max even slightly then being surprised that he turned on her; "the bad guy turned out to be a bad guy" who could have guessed.... She clearly lost Athena's wisdom somewhere in the last reboot. All in all I'm not holding my breath for a magic writer to come on board and "save" the Wonder mythos, since it seems that we will be getting mediocrity till Future State and maybe even after.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Mighty Member

No, and the whole Wonder Woman feeling crazy underpowered drama is just 1 of many reasons.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I thought GWW was a boring writer..... by the Gods I was wrong. I dropped the book after GWW's first ark, I thought the premise of finding out what happened to the Olympians would be a nice jumping point to a grand epic, not only did that not happen as none of the questions were answered, but we took a huge detour that added nothing and destroyed some very important elements in WW's mythos (the gauntlets breaking, Aphro's death, everything involving atalanties, Maggie, the three bumbling magical idiots). Its a shame because I felt like Orlando was too busy cleaning GWW's mess to really focus on his stories that he wanted to tell.

Tamaki on the other hand has this very unimaginative mind. You could chop the forced inclusion of Maxell Lord to editorial mandates but I seriously doubt that the whole story was written by the editors. Tamaki had a lot of directions to go into with Max, ideally involving his more outlandish moments like taking control over other super beings, instead we get Lair Lair.... a bad villain with no motivation or reason for being who frankly has no business dealing with a hero like Wonder Woman. Tamaki teases with "cool" moments but fails on delivery, anti climactic is an understatement with her plots. We couldn't even see Diana stop a nuke for crying out loud, like she hasn't punched nukes before. More then half the time I wondered if she lost her ability to fly, let alone the fact that she seems weaker and less impressive by every issue. Tamaki's dialogue is average at best, honestly it would read as filler if her plot and action were better. But there doesn't seem to be any flow to her stories. Diana's whole suspicion of Max is redundant and pointless when you remember that she has a magic lasso that forces people to tell the truth, in all its forms. It also makes Diana look like a complete idiot, trusting Max even slightly then being surprised that he turned on her; "the bad guy turned out to be a bad guy" who could have guessed.... She clearly lost Athena's wisdom somewhere in the last reboot. All in all I'm not holding my breath for a magic writer to come on board and "save" the Wonder mythos, since it seems that we will be getting mediocrity till Future State and maybe even after.
    Couldn't have said it better.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post

While I haven't dropped the book, this is fairly accurate.

Sadly, I must vote no because I haven't yet enjoyed her run. I feel Tamaki doesn't "get" what makes Diana great and what makes Diana, well, Diana.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    First two or three issues were okay but didn’t really wow me, so just had to drop it. Wouldn’t call it the worst but I largely feel the same way about I did Fontana’s brief fill in run after Rucka.

Though I probably dislike Max Lord more than Jason at this point.
    Pretty much where I'm at. They're both at this point where I've got one foot out the door when either is brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Pretty much where I'm at. They're both at this point where I've got one foot out the door when either is brought up.
    Yeah, whose ever worse to me probably depends on who is more prominent at the moment.

So hopefully Lord's left in the rear view once the movie comes and goes.

Lol, no one voted "yes" so far, not a good look...Anyway, I feel the same. It's not as offensive as Robinson's but it's up there. Max Lord should go back to being a good guy in the next reboot cause he sucks as a villain.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

No. In fact, I just dropped the book for the first time since Azzarello's run. It's just plain boring and the writing seems amateur at best.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Lol, no one voted "yes" so far, not a good look...Anyway, I feel the same. It's not as offensive as Robinson's but it's up there. Max Lord should go back to being a good guy in the next reboot cause he sucks as a villain.
    Indeed he does.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I caught up on the last four issues last night and, yeah, nothing to exciting going on here. I do like that I have another picture of Wonder Woman yeeting Maxwell Lord for my collection though.

Addition: I checked my notes and apparently this is the 5th time that a flashback has shown Wonder Woman tussling with Maxwell. It's certainly the most iconic moment in Wonder woman history, for good or for bad (for bad mostly).
    Last edited by Pinsir; 12-03-2020 at 11:12 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I haven’t dropped it, but I’m not excited when I read it. Also, eff DC. Sticking an artist like Carlo Barberi on this book. His art has improved since he first started drawing comics, but ugh. He is not the caliber of artist DC should be using for Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I haven’t dropped it, but I’m not excited when I read it. Also, eff DC. Sticking an artist like Carlo Barberi on this book. His art has improved since he first started drawing comics, but ugh. He is not the caliber of artist DC should be using for Diana.
    What happened with Mikel Janin?