Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Have we ever gotten confirmation if this series is in continuity or not?
    It's not. I don't think any Black Labels are.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't care either, since it shouldn't be a big deal. It wouldn't be commented on if she said Helena is dating a man (because he wouldn't be relevant either). Her dating a woman is completely normal and not worth commenting on either way...
    I agree completely.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    That's so trendy and cutting edge. I know that I am triggered by what a new concept that is.

Overall, I found the book to be a confusing mess jumping from one time period to the other so quickly. I love the Phantasm but I was not going to purchase this book and support Tom King as I have a pretty good idea of the unfulfilling train wreck it will become based off his previous works.
    You too huh? I mean what is next a Batgirl or a minority character perish the thought.

As I've said before, if not for the Phantasm this book would be persona non grata with me. King continues to underwhelm me.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    It's not. I don't think any Black Labels are.
    For once this is could be a good thing, IMO.

Before reading this thread, I didn't think anything of the Helena being gay angle. AFTER reading this thread and the level of salt on display here, I guess it still is a HUGE deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Before reading this thread, I didn't think anything of the Helena being gay angle. AFTER reading this thread and the level of salt on display here, I guess it still is a HUGE deal.
    I'm not salty rather I found it odd someone commented that something so commonplace in fiction these days (concerning a character who wasn't even present) was a "highlight" of the issue. This would be like me saying Spidey putting on his costume or Superman flying was a highlight of an issue, talk about a low bar.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm not salty rather I found it odd someone commented that something so commonplace in fiction these days (concerning a character who wasn't even present) was a "highlight" of the issue. This would be like me saying Spidey putting on his costume or Superman flying was a highlight of an issue, talk about a low bar.
    Queer characters are still in the vast minority when it comes to Big Two comics and media in general, so even small mentions like this are not as commonplace as the "given" that Helena would be dating a man.

Incredible Member

Not sure though think the general rule is Black Label stories are out of continuity.
    Notwithstanding, think such stories are actually better if they are treated as out of continuity.
    I for one am taking it as such.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    OMG, I didn't even notice the welcome mat thing, I didn't think about it enough and thought it was connected to the previous scene. Oh yeah, it's clearly an act, and I love it. And it's a partial nod to JM Dematteis's Going Sane, this idea that Joker retreats or puts on a phony normalcy when no Batman to torment.
    Yah, this version of Joker being "reformed but not really" sits better with me than the Snyder version where he truly did seem magically reformed without Batman. But I don't get how he is supposed to have grandchildren, that was really odd. Of course we did not see the actual photos, so who knows what they were.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 12-07-2020 at 03:52 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Queer characters are still in the vast minority when it comes to Big Two comics and media in general, so even small mentions like this are not as commonplace as the "given" that Helena would be dating a man.
    Ah, I don't care either way. If people want to celebrate it fine I think doing so is being silly and, IMO, I certainly wouldn't call it a "highlight", but whatever floats your boat.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Ah, I don't care either way. If people want to celebrate it fine I think doing so is being silly and, IMO, I certainly wouldn't call it a "highlight", but whatever floats your boat.
    It's not a major highlight for me personally either.

Silly is calling it "left pandering" (not that you were the one who did).

Nah, I meant silly in regards to the overreaction (mainly on Social Media) to this casual comment. I don't care who a character has sex with (or their religion, or their politics, or their favorite color and food, exact) especially an off-panel one. I can understand someone thinking "cool", or "nice", but a "highlight" not so much. The Phantasm is a highlight. Joker's act/reformation is a highlight.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-07-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Yawn part two....

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

It is part of King's Batman continuity.

For me this is Batman #86 because you can stop at Batman #85 and just read this

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    It is part of King's Batman continuity.

For me this is Batman #86 because you can stop at Batman #85 and just read this
    I can now better understand why Those In Charge of DC Comics decided to decline this being Batman #86 given the long flashforward. I doubt they want things locked into a certain future as it limits how new writers can approach the characters, their freedom to do so a hard & fast rule in comic books ("put the toys back in the box as you found them when you are finished for the next person")