Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    A personal nitpick -

One problem I have with this story is I do not like the idea of a reformed normal acting Joker. I prefer my Joker to be beyond redemption. I think there are very few characters in fiction who should exclusively be portrayed as irredeemably evil but the Joker is one (the Emperor from Star Wars is another example that immediately springs to my mind).
    The last page and the blood under the welcome mat do not indicate he ever became normal or reformed, but put on an act.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The last page and the blood under the welcome mat do not indicate he ever became normal or reformed, but put on an act.
    I hope you're right and it isn't misdirection King has used such in the past. Sorry, but I have little faith left in King. I'm only buying this book because of the Phantasm.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Have we ever gotten confirmation if this series is in continuity or not?

How is this a highlight? I'm really curious what your reasoning is. At this point when we have so many such characters (unlike years ago when it would have been groundbreaking) I think this is more akin to a character collecting stampings or preferring dogs to cats, big deal. Helena being gay, bisexual, or a dog lover (not in a sexual way) has zero impact on my enjoyment of this story. Maybe we read comic books for different reasons but I read them for the larger than life personalities, fantastical settings, and over the top adventures in short escapism. The highlight for me by far was the return/proper introduction into the DCU of Phantasm.
    Because left wing/pandering b.s. It's lame...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    because tom king is a writer i don't like much. i only picked it up for Andy
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    Because God forbid we acknowledge the existence of lesbians/bisexual women using a an alternate take on a character who hasn't had consistent use since the bronze age

Because God forbid we acknowledge the existence of lesbians/bisexual women using a an alternate take on a character who hasn't had consistent use since the bronze age
    Yawn................

Of course, but I'm going to be blunt here I don't care what off-screen Helena's (maybe canon maybe not) sexuality is, knowing it adds nothing to the tale. To me, the whole thing felt like a lame hollow attempt by King to virtue signal. If the character actually shows up it might become relevant but as things now stand the situation vis-a-vis King reminds me of someone with a bumper sticker "my kid is an honor student".
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

OMG, I didn't even notice the welcome mat thing, I didn't think about it enough and thought it was connected to the previous scene. Oh yeah, it's clearly an act, and I love it. And it's a partial nod to JM Dematteis's Going Sane, this idea that Joker retreats or puts on a phony normalcy when no Batman to torment.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-06-2020 at 08:53 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Don't feed the trolls

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    OMG, I didn't even notice the welcome mat thing, I didn't think about it enough and thought it was connected to the previous scene. Oh yeah, it's clearly an act, and I love it. And it's a partial nod to JM Dematteis's Going Sane, this idea that Joker retreats or puts on a phony normalcy when no Batman to torment.
    Yeah it was pretty awesome, but it does beg the question how did Selina know he was there if he was killing and stuff?

Of course, but I'm going to be blunt here I don't care what off-screen Helena's (maybe canon maybe not) sexuality is, knowing it adds nothing to the tale. To me, the whole thing felt like a lame hollow attempt by King to virtue signal. If the character actually shows up it might become relevant but as things now stand the situation vis-a-vis King reminds me of someone with a bumper sticker "my kid is an honor student".
    I don't care either, since it shouldn't be a big deal. It wouldn't be commented on if she said Helena is dating a man (because he wouldn't be relevant either). Her dating a woman is completely normal and not worth commenting on either way

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Don't feed the trolls
    Probably the right course of action

The series description points to Helena playing a bigger role in the future timeline, so most probably she and her girlfriend will appear on panel in coming issues. Also, since the description mentioned she's the Batwoman of the future, having her be an LGBTQ+ character could also be a way of paying homage to Kate on King's part.

Also, how old was the purse snatcher Selina was interrogating? If it was a younger kid of 14 like Andrew, I'm kind of bothered by her interrogating him that way. Even if she likely wasn't going to do anything more serious than a tiny scratch on the cheek, I can't picture Selina ever doing that to a kid nor Batman just standing aside and letting her do it.
    I assumed he was around 17, older than Andrea's son.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Yeah it was pretty awesome, but it does beg the question how did Selina know he was there if he was killing and stuff?
    Yea, shall be interesting to see if this is addressed. Did Selina track him? Did the Batfam keep tabs (perhaps not knowing he was murdering) and just tell Selina?

I figure Selina freshly tracked him for the first time and only learned then that he was murdering.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-07-2020 at 05:06 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Censorship Sucks

That's so trendy and cutting edge. I know that I am triggered by what a new concept that is.

Overall, I found the book to be a confusing mess jumping from one time period to the other so quickly. I love the Phantasm but I was not going to purchase this book and support Tom King as I have a pretty good idea of the unfulfilling train wreck it will become based off his previous works.