Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Default Batman/Catwoman #1 discussion

I really enjoyed the first issue, though it definitely felt like an introduction to a 12 issue maxi.

My favorite parts were the Joker/Selina old colleague, fellow professionals dialogues. Like Dixon and Dini and some others, King can really get at Joker,, of subverting your expectations with him in a humorous or surprising or even tender way. There's a great bit of a nod to LOTDK Going Sane as far as Joker.

And as for Andrea Beaumont, King does her and Mask of the Phantasm respectfully as far as this introduction. With Mask of the Phantasm perhaps being the ultimate Batman love story, all these characters together here feel right if you're gonna take another stab at a statement on the subject of Batman and love.

Clay Mann rocked, his zoot suit Michael Jacksonesque Joker really wowed me.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-03-2020 at 05:15 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I really enjoyed the first issue, though it definitely felt like an introduction to a 12 issue maxi.

My favorite parts were the Joker/Selina old colleague, fellow professionals dialogues. Like Dixon and Dini and some others, King can really get at Joker,, of subverting your expectations with him in a humorous or surprising or even tender way. There's a great bit of a nod to LOTDK Going Sane as far as Joker.

And as for Andrea Beaumont, King does her and Mask of the Phantasm respectfully as far as this introduction. With Mask of the Phantasm perhaps being the ultimate Batman love story, all these characters together here feel right if you're gonna take another stab at a statement on the subject of Batman and love.

Clay Mann rocked, his zoot suit Michael Jacksonesque Joker really wowed me.
    Haven't read this as I REALLY didn't like Tom King's Batman. King's a very hit and miss writer. Heroes in Crisis was terrible. I still want this to be good, least the art will be with Clay Mann on it. Want justice to be done for Andrea Beaumont. The Bat/Cat dialogues, ugh and double ugh.

I'm just happy that King is off the main titles. I'll be brutally honest if not for the Phantasm I wouldn't be picking up this series. King's antics soured me on his interpretation of the characters.

The issue was okay, nothing great but nothing bad.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I picked it up for Phantasm and Clay Mann, but I was very suprised. King has done well so far. I hated his Batman, so plodding and the awful dialogue. None of that here.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Incredible Member

two highlights were helena being bi/gay and that shot of andrea in the armchair

fairly lackluster so far
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Incredible Member

So... was Bruce the father of Andrea's son or did it imply that the Joker raped her... because if that's the case... that's just gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    So... was Bruce the father of Andrea's son or did it imply that the Joker raped her... because if that's the case... that's just gross.
    Sadly it wouldn't be the first time Joker has raped someone in a comic.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    dark prince charming 2.0
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Joker wasn't the father, I don't think. Neither is Bruce. Not in the biological sense, anyway. But it might apply in some other sense, as in a role model or surrogate dad.

I enjoyed this so far. But its only the first issue of a big series, so somewhat like looking through the puzzle box and seeing only a few of the pieces. Dealing with Batman's first love so far feels a lot more authentic than all the stuff in the main universe dealing with Talia did.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

I LOVED it. Gorgeous and I loved the timelines. Going through it a second time it was pretty easy to see which was which and I enjoyed figuring it out. I like seeing what's happening in the three different eras and I actually enjoy what he does with Joker here. First of all, I always love seeing the interaction between the major Batman villains, like Joker, Catwoman, Penguin, Riddler.

I know Tom King has said that of all things, some of the stuff that's inspired him in his Batman writing was the 60's TV show, believe it or not. He said he always loved the chemistry btw Julie Newmar and Adam West as Batman and Catwoman and that is part of what inspired him to focus so heavily on their romance in the comics, and also he liked the idea that the Batman villains "hang out together" like they did in the 60's movie and that inspired this idea that Catwoman knows the old villains from the "old days,"- I like that dynamic he puts in with them, it's fun. I also think his Joker is just more interesting, creepier, funnier than other people do with him (Tynion- ugh, so boring).

I just really like the idea that this is going to give us an all expansive look at their whole life together, and I like that it's so Catwoman focused, the future story being from her point of view, and also the past. Maybe the present will have more Bruce POV.

Yeah, I loved it.

Was NOT expecting that twist in the future timeline.

Clay Mann's Andrea Beaumont looks just like his Poison Ivy, to the point that it threw me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    two highlights were helena being bi/gay and that shot of andrea in the armchair

fairly lackluster so far
    How is this a highlight? I'm really curious what your reasoning is. At this point when we have so many such characters (unlike years ago when it would have been groundbreaking) I think this is more akin to a character collecting stampings or preferring dogs to cats, big deal. Helena being gay, bisexual, or a dog lover (not in a sexual way) has zero impact on my enjoyment of this story. Maybe we read comic books for different reasons but I read them for the larger than life personalities, fantastical settings, and over the top adventures in short escapism. The highlight for me by far was the return/proper introduction into the DCU of Phantasm.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-06-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Never finished King's Batman run, but I read this and was able to follow it no problem. So hopefully this will work as its own thing if you know the broad strokes of his run. Strongest aspect of this was the art, though yeah Andrea looks a great deal like Poison Ivy.

I thought Selina was meeting with an older Dick or Tim or somebody, so the reveal it was the Joker was neat. Though man, continuing MOTP still shows that it was originally meant to be the finale of BTAS. Because Andrea not going after the Joker again because she was afraid doesn't really ring true to me. Just as the original explanation in the tie in comics (he was no longer the man who killed her father-- but he killed a whole bunch of other people) didn't really work either. C'mon Andy, get your **** together

Also, how old was the purse snatcher Selina was interrogating? If it was a younger kid of 14 like Andrew, I'm kind of bothered by her interrogating him that way. Even if she likely wasn't going to do anything more serious than a tiny scratch on the cheek, I can't picture Selina ever doing that to a kid nor Batman just standing aside and letting her do it.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I thought Selina was meeting with an older Dick or Tim or somebody, so the reveal it was the Joker was neat. Though man, continuing MOTP still shows that it was originally meant to be the finale of BTAS. Because Andrea not going after the Joker again because she was afraid doesn't really ring true to me. Just as the original explanation in the tie in comics (he was no longer the man who killed her father-- but he killed a whole bunch of other people) didn't really work either. C'mon Andy, get your **** together
    But then she wouldn't be the Phantasm .

A personal nitpick -

One problem I have with this story is I do not like the idea of a reformed normal acting Joker. I prefer my Joker to be beyond redemption. I think there are very few characters in fiction who should exclusively be portrayed as irredeemably evil but the Joker is one (the Emperor from Star Wars is another example that immediately springs to my mind).