Spectacular Member

Post Give me your opinion about this video.

Hi guys

Today, I stumbled upon this video that talks about DC comic's newest Young Adult graphic novel, "I am not Starfire".

The main takeawayay is that the speaker believes that comic books have abandoned the idea of that superheroes inspirere us all and remind us about the good in mankindnd and instead went to the young adult genre which he beilives is less then appropriate.

this is the video that I'm reffering too:

I would like to hear your opinion about this video and the speaker's opinion.

Personally, I completly disagree with the speaker for a number of reasons:

1- The claim that superheores are no longer inspiring or that they show the best in us is ompletly false. One of the takeaways from Doomsday Clock is that Superman still inspires us and remains the symbol of hope and shows the good in evryone of us.

2- Many comis book, mangas, and graphic novels have branched out into other genres, like Young Adult and biographic works and still remained insperational and reminded us how week or strong we can be.

3- If we use ccomic book logic, these stories take place on diffrent diminstion which means that the stories told won't have any affect on the charaters from the main timeline.

4- The writers who tell these story use superheroes and comics as a way to express thier ideas, themes, and thoughts. Much how writers express them in thier novels and plays. This proves the power of comic books as a literary genre and how it can be as powerful as novels and other literary genres.

This is my opinion, what do you guys think about it and what do you think about the speaker's opinion.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm kind of exhausted hearing about this book, so I admittedly don't care to listen to another rant on it... But I will posit this:

Superheroes are constructs in which we take perceived failures and injustices that exist in the world and then direct these characters at them to create an exaggerated way to tackle and hopefully resolve that problem. Sometimes it's just "extinction event, oh no" action and others it's talking about poverty, famine, or yes, identity politics and representation. I don't get inspired by sports movies, but other people who are invested in sports do. Sometimes I like those movies, but I'm not the target audience and that's okay. I'm probably not the target audience of the Black Lightning TV show and it's the only one of those CW shows I enjoy.

If this book inspires kids to embrace what they feel with respect to who they are and the types of people they're attracted to, then yes, it's about embracing the better qualities of the human spirit-- because it's about ensuring a child grows up and doesn't feel like a monster because they happen to like someone other than who they're told they're supposed to.

Do I want all stories to be about that? No, of course not. But not all of them are. Do I think it's appropriate to forgo characterization to do it? Also not really, but this is a new character and the one big concern (Starfire not being an attentive and loving mother) remains to be seen because the goddamn thing hasn't even dropped preview pages let alone the book. It may very well be bad. It could be good. We'll know when it drops. Until then, read something else. For what it's worth, coming of age stories are like 90% of YA novels from my understanding so if that's not appealing then it's just not the medium for you, dude/dudette.

People want to complain. It is what it is. A lot of the people who whine about this stuff also read Injustice which butcher Superman and Wonder Woman, but they aren't talking about LGBTQ+ or portraying non-idealized body shapes so they're fine with horrendously out-of-character behavior because Diana still looks attractive I guess. Isn't this version of Starfire's daughter what people actually want when it comes to representation? New characters instead of changing established ones? And she's not even canon to the main DCU. They just want to complain because how dare a DC product not be aimed at a dwindling market that's proven to only care about Batman and staying on all the other books for six months tops.

Just tune that **** out and move on, unless you just get a kick out of watching them lose their minds.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-03-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm kind of exhausted hearing about this book, so I admittedly don't care to listen to another rant on it... But I will posit this:

Superheroes are constructs in which we take perceived failures and injustices that exist in the world and then direct these characters at them to create an exaggerated way to tackle and hopefully resolve that problem. Sometimes it's just "extinction event, oh no" action and others it's talking about poverty, famine, or yes, identity politics and representation. I don't get inspired by sports movies, but other people who are invested in sports do. Sometimes I like those movies, but I'm not the target audience and that's okay. I'm probably not the target audience of the Black Lightning TV show and it's the only one of those CW shows I enjoy.

If this book inspires kids to embrace what they feel with respect to who they are and the types of people they're attracted to, then yes, it's about embracing the better qualities of the human spirit-- because it's about ensuring a child grows up and doesn't feel like a monster because they happen to like someone other than who they're told they're supposed to.

Do I want all stories to be about that? No, of course not. But not all of them are. Do I think it's appropriate to forgo characterization to do it? Also not really, but this is a new character and the one big concern (Starfire not being an attentive and loving mother) remains to be seen because the goddamn thing hasn't even dropped preview pages let alone the book. It may very well be bad. It could be good. We'll know when it drops. Until then, read something else. For what it's worth, coming of age stories are like 90% of YA novels from my understanding so if that's not appealing then it's just not the medium for you, dude/dudette.

People want to complain. It is what it is. A lot of the people who whine about this stuff also read Injustice which butcher Superman and Wonder Woman, but they aren't talking about LGBTQ+ or portraying non-idealized body shapes so they're fine with horrendously out-of-character behavior because Diana still looks attractive I guess. Isn't this version of Starfire's daughter what people actually want when it comes to representation? New characters instead of changing established ones? And she's not even canon to the main DCU. They just want to complain because how dare a DC product not be aimed at a dwindling market that's proven to only care about Batman and staying on all the other books for six months tops.

Just tune that **** out and move on, unless you just get a kick out of watching them lose their minds.
    What they said.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

You can have more than one product for more than one consumer at a time.

One does not negate the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

Basically, what they said.
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Wow, that's a lot of words and sophism just to justify his sexism; basically, his whole spiel is that the book is an affront to Western civilization because the lead character doesn't look like a supermodel. Heard that argument before and it's as asinine now as it was before. Also really like how he says very little beyond how much he hates the cover. Nothing is said about the fact that Mariko Tamaki is a multiple-award-winning author or any analysis of her past work in regards to the kind of craftsmanship we can expect (same for the artist). Nothing is said about the interesting premise of using the superhero genre to explore parent/child relationships (admitting that it was a good premise is about the only fair thing that YouTuber said). This guy is not the first to whine about this book existing just because he's unhappy that publishers make stuff that's not designed to appeal to him and he probably won't be the last. Either way, he's not someone worth listening to.

(As far as the book itself, I am really looking forward to it. As noted before, the premise sounds really good. Also, Mariko Tamaki writes good stuff. That's all you need to know.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

It's like Netflix, one person can't watch it all but you got to have a product to each type of people.
    This one is clearly trying to appeal to rebel teenager girls, do they buy comics? Idk. The complains are on this subject, like, why release something that won't sell? Why waste the slot with this instead releasing something that would appeal the majority of readers? But those are questions only the company can answer.