Spectacular Member

Default Advice for collecting comics?

I would like to collect storylines to read for a multitude of characters from past eras, for example 1990s. However, it's hard to find the right comics when I would rather read about any characters than focus on a select few. I'm happy to read about almost any character but there's so much to get through that I'm overwhelmed and unsure how to pick. Does anyone have any advice on where to look for comics or how to find the right ones?

BANNED

If you would like to read about any character then randomly pick a character and have at it. For example, go read Wally West's 90s Flash comics. If/when you get bored of them, go read Triangle era Superman comics.

Incredible Member

Nightwing is a good 90's series and the first 70 issues and other tie-ins by Chuck Dixon are available in 8 graphic novels

Nightwing Vol. 1: Blüdhaven Nightwing Vol. 1 #1-4; Nightwing Vol. 2 #1-8
    Nightwing Vol. 2: Rough Justice Nightwing Vol. 2 #9-18, Nightwing Annual #1
    Nightwing Vol. 3: False Starts Nightwing/Huntress #1-4; Nightwing Vol. 2 #1/2, #19-25
    Nightwing Vol. 4: Love and Bullets Nightwing Vol. 2 #26-34, #1,000,000; Nightwing Secret Files and Origins #1
    Nightwing Vol. 5: The Hunt for Oracle Nightwing Vol. 2 #35-46; Birds of Prey #20-21
    Nightwing Vol. 6: To Serve And Protect Nightwing Vol. 2 #47-53; Nightwing 80-Page Giant #1
    Nightwing Vol. 7: Shrike Nightwing Vol. 2 #54-60; Nightwing: Our Worlds At War #1; Nightwing: Targets #1
    Nightwing Vol. 8: Lethal Force Nightwing Vol. 2 #61-70 November 2018

Well, you could look online for "best of" lists. I'm one of those people who reads by characters I find interesting and the only "this's something you owe yourself to read" stories I can think of are by Marvel, not DC. I tend to like stuff with Jessica Cruz, who's not past era, and the YA graphic novels, which are not also past era, but do have quite a wide range of characters they focus on.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

If you don't mind reading digitally, subscribe to the DC Universe app that has literally ten of thousands of issues available to read and sample to see what you like and don't like. As you identify things you enjoy, you can dive deeper or earmark those to find as back issues or trades to read. You can sample different characters, different eras from the Golden Age to just a few months ago. And if you don't like something, no worries, there's more to try so you didn't waste your money on something you didn't like.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    I would like to collect storylines to read for a multitude of characters from past eras, for example 1990s. However, it's hard to find the right comics when I would rather read about any characters than focus on a select few. I'm happy to read about almost any character but there's so much to get through that I'm overwhelmed and unsure how to pick. Does anyone have any advice on where to look for comics or how to find the right ones?
    Look for majors 90's DC stories/events/runs.
    Read by "familly of book" : Batman, Superman, Justice League, Green Lanterns, Wonder Woman, Vertigo, Wildstorm, Others.