Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spider-man vs M.O.D.O.K.

Spider-man vs M.O.D.O.K. in the Khazan Arena. 616 versions of both.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

isn't current MODOK depowered or has that changed?

I know that he tends to be treated as a joke character now. If that involves de-powering, then let's say classic M.O.D.O.K., like bronze age power level.

I think MODOK has mind-blast power. Should just KO Spidey, who has no psi-screens or way to counter.

Floating Chair Warmer has too many telepathic/brain-manipulation/brain-blast kinds of options here to lose, I should think.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 12-04-2020 at 08:07 PM.

Spider-man's best hope is a blitz. We know he is faster than MODOK, but can he clear that 100' range fast enough to get in a last one punch to MODOK's big face. And if so, can he kill or at least KO MODOK with that one punch? Spidey can certainly web his face from that range, but MODOK doesn't need to see to attack Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Spider-man's best hope is a blitz. We know he is faster than MODOK, but can he clear that 100' range fast enough to get in a last one punch to MODOK's big face. And if so, can he kill or at least KO MODOK with that one punch? Spidey can certainly web his face from that range, but MODOK doesn't need to see to attack Parker.
    I'm not exactly clear on MODOK's powers because I think there have been several iterations of him, or his powers are inconsistent. But I'm pretty sure that at least once he had a force field, either built into the chair itself or telekinetically projected.

Ah, yes, it's a "mento force field."

WxouiLk.jpg
    2uxEWLF.jpg
    OZRiOan.jpg

An interesting match, but really no contest. One of the most memorable and interesting super-heroes of all time gets nerfed by one of the most boring and forgettable super-villains of all time.

MODOK for the win.

That's probably the first and only time in the entire 33 billion year lifespan of the universe that anybody will ever say those words.

That second scan indicates that isn't an auto-shield, but something that MODOK must consciously evoke. So it still comes back to a question of whether Spider-man can cover 100 feet before MODOK can react, and if one spider-punch can put MODOK down. I couldn't find a high-end vertical leap feat for Spider-man, but an early appearance showed that he could vertically leap 3 stories high. I think Spider-man could plausibly cover 100 horizontal feet in 2 bounds, but is that fast enough? Spider-man is a legit bullet-timer, while MODOK is not.

don't see him getting there before Modok thinks "force field"

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Is MODOK capable of AOE psionic blasts, or just beams that Pete can dance around all day until one of them falls asleep? And if that feat with Iron Man being able to cause MODOK to spin around even with his force field up is consistent (and something Spider-Man is able to replicate despite being much weaker than Iron Man), then the webhead might be able to try and make MODOK puke himself unconscious if there's no risk of AOEs.

EDIT: If Wikipedia is right, I don't see any indication that his psi-blasts have AOE capabilities, *but* he is still capable of regular mind control of entire groups of people at once, and that should be enough to end the fight rather quickly as long as he gets his force field up first since Spidey doesn't normally pack psi-shields (which you would think would be item one for any gageteer hero with a secret identity, considering how many telepaths are in the MU).
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 12-06-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    don't see him getting there before Modok thinks "force field"
    And as one of those guys with a computer-fast, computer-efficient brain, he'll be thinking "force field" faster than any human with an unenhanced brain would.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Peter can cover significantly more than 100 feet in two leaps - the dude has covered the majority of a city block in a single leap many, many times.

For MODOK... as mentioned, he kind of became a joke over time. Peter has webbing - he should be able to blitz and pull MODOK straight out of his stupid chair.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Peter has webbing - he should be able to blitz and pull MODOK straight out of his stupid chair.
    I don't think you can just pull MODOK out of his chair. I think he's kind of ... melded or sealed in there. Sort like Davros is melded or sealed into his own mobile unit.

modok-marvel-artwork-by-tristanjones-and-douggarbark.jpg

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    And as one of those guys with a computer-fast, computer-efficient brain, he'll be thinking "force field" faster than any human with an unenhanced brain would.
    True enough, though given Spider-Man's spider-sense and how it interacts with his five primary senses and his superhuman reflexes, it stands to reason that his own brain processes also work at an enhanced capacity compared to those of a normal human.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimately, it's still the problem that Modok shouldn't get taken out before he thinks "force field", at which point he can then do the mind control thing.

Particularly for the OP's "before he became a joke" stipulation.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    I don't think you can just pull MODOK out of his chair. I think he's kind of ... melded or sealed in there. Sort like Davros is melded or sealed into his own mobile unit.

modok-marvel-artwork-by-tristanjones-and-douggarbark.jpg
    I dunno - back in the day, MODOK could be pulled out of the chair or knocked out of it.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan