Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Ultimately, it's still the problem that Modok shouldn't get taken out before he thinks "force field", at which point he can then do the mind control thing.

Particularly for the OP's "before he became a joke" stipulation.
    And with the above post said, I'm not going to argue against this basic result. Gun to my head, I'd guess Pete can still get a few out of ten by getting his webbing on the guy and swinging him around or something, but yeah, "force field" (even if it's evidently powered by Mentos, the freshmaker) is the most likely outcome.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    don't see him getting there before Modok thinks "force field"
    Only if the plot requires him to lose because, he's actually won against MODOK before.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Only if the plot requires him to lose because, he's actually won against MODOK before.
    Or, that's the plot requiring Spiderman to win against a guy who should otherwise be able to all of thought activate his force field, then thought activate his mind control, being that these are both abilities he has.

Still, if your concern is the plot mandating things one way or another, that's not what we go by here. We pare it down to weighing individual capacity, as much as can be done, to avoid these very issues. If someone for instance conveniently forgets an ability they have and can use for the sake of a story going a certain way, we don't much factor that in as being overly relevant.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 12-08-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Ah, but you see here we ignore what the plot requires.

We do it based on each character’s high-end feats consistent with their portrayal.

We have rules and FAQs in stickies threads in the forums, so it might be worth your time to read them. But in the meantime... Welcome to Rumbles.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I mean, it all depends on the circumstance. In an actual fight, I'm fully comfortable with Pete being able to blitzstomp MODOK before he can think "force field" if he's at least moderately less than a full 100 feet away and/or attacking while MODOK is unaware or distracted (assuming that MODOK doesn't have any sort of significantly superhuman durability that I'm not aware of), especially if he's got prep to go rig up or borrow some psi-shields so that he won't get mind controlled the instant the defenses do go up.

It's just that in an arena match, the default distance between the two combatants is just too big to keep MODOK from activating his defenses, at which point the ol' webhead is completely without recourse to MODOK turning his brain into soup with his telepathy.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Actually, looking up some feats for MODOK, I'm not sure that he can't survive a Spidey-blitz long enough to activate his shield or mind control powers if being able to tank direct hits to the face from Iron Man, a reasonably pissed off intelligent Hulk, and Ms. Marvel is his standard portrayal and not just SMvFL feats.