Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The folks who have gotten everything are throwing fits at the ones who don't. .
    If we're talking about stuff here like the Hal Jordan thread, nobody except one person was getting heated about Redjack's past tweets about Hal or at the people "who don't have everything."

Expressing reasonable concerns about a writer who is coming on board tweeting that one of your favorite characters sucks knowing that sometimes creeps into the work itself isn't fanning the flames of fandom war. It's not like any of us were saying the other characters can't have anything either, we're just naturally going to be concerned with our favorites overt expending energy being concerned about everyone else (as every single fan on here is).

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    DC ISN'T doing anything "new" though. They're using 80 year old concepts and old ideas that were created for other older versions of the character.

Superman is still some white male from another planet with a wide variety of super attributes.

Batman is some white dude dressed up like a bat who fights crime with an assortment of gadgets.

The Flash is still some white guy dressed in red & yellow who runs really fast.

Green Lantern is still some dude who uses their willpower to manipulate the energy of a power ring.

If they REALLY were doing something new Superman would be a Minority character from somewhere on Earth with some superhuman abilities but with no weird alien powers like flight or heat vision, Batman would be a person who can't control becoming a Bat-like creature after having a curse placed on them, The Flash would be someone who could "flash" from point to point with a simple thought and maybe also have the ability to "flash bomb" people in order to momentarily blind people for a couple of minutes, Green Lantern would actually use the powers of a magic green lantern instead of a power ring, etc.

DC & Marvel never actually do anything "new". They just do the same stuff they've always done wrapped up in a different package/character. So this whole thing is a pass for me as it really isn't anything really new like the Tangent versions were.
    You seem to have inferred i was talking about Future State? I wasn’t.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I have been off DC for over a year and a half. The only book that I am now following is King's Bat/Cat and that's because I want to see how he finishes his Batman story.

I think DC does not allow for experimentation with the characters. They'll do a gimmick for like 6 months (or in the case of Future State 2 months) and just drop it like a sack of potatoes the minute "fans" get upset. So to appease these fans all we get are these vanilla ass stories that have no impact or gravitas.

The thing that completely soured me on DC is that during the Rebirth Era they tried to change things up by allowing some characters to grow they gave Clark a son and allowed Bruce to grow emotionally, but they did a complete about face. They shunted Jon off to the future and basically destroyed his character, and booted King off Batman before he could finish his story.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    You seem to have inferred i was talking about Future State? I wasn’t.
    Actually, I was talking about both FS and the sort of return to status quo relaunch. For a long time fan like myself it all just seems like the same thing over and over again. Moving some of the pieces but not having the balls to really change things at their core, y'know? After all these years I actually might respect DC for being ballsy enough to do something like that even if that meant all my personal preferences were gone. That's where I'm at right now personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The closest example I can think of something like this being done was when they revamped the Flash and GL mythoi in the the fabled birth of the Silver Age, though even then I'm not sure if even those changes were as extreme as posited above. But it bears mentioning that almost everything else remained familiar. Doing something genuinely new, on a wholesale level, has a ton of risks in its own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    I don't see that being possible so long as DC doesn't want to support original creator owned works anymore. That's why they shouldn't have let Vertigo fall apart.

It was cool when DC put out books like Major Bummer, Bloodhound, and Hitman but that pretty much died off by the mid 2000s and even back then most people either didn't know about them or didn't buy them.

As far as current DC goes I dunno. Might give GL another shot with the recent announcement and it looks like Future State may not be a crossover mess but other than stuff like Batman: White Knight what else is there?
    Oh. I totally understand why DC wouldn't make such drastic changes like the few examples I did. Just saying where I'm at right now after going through so many relaunches before. I'm relaunched out and it would take something really big for me to be interested again in another one at this point

I'm not tired of comics because "they ruined mah continuities!" or anything, but this past year it's been real hard to give a damn about the hobby. The shutdown got me out of the habit of hitting the LCS and the economic collapse and subsequent chaos has made me resent the expense.

And damn little coming out of DC is of high enough quality and vision to overcome my apathy. I mean, I'd celebrate in the streets if they announced some new, intriguing direction for Nightwing or Cyborg or one of my other favorites, or introduced a new character who had promise, with creative teams who could pull it off and editors brave enough to take the risk. But what we usually get is just the same old same old. Batman spends six months defeating Mr. Freeze for the billionth time. Meh.

Some of the Future State stuff looks vaguely interesting, and maybe some of the books afterwards will be too. I tell myself that all the chaos this year has left us with a DC under completely different management with a totally new operating system and goals, and this could give us some of the best comics the company has produced in years. But I don't know yet if that'll actually happen, or if we'll just get the same comics in a different wrapper.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm not tired of comics because "they ruined mah continuities!" or anything, but this past year it's been real hard to give a damn about the hobby. The shutdown got me out of the habit of hitting the LCS and the economic collapse and subsequent chaos has made me resent the expense.

And damn little coming out of DC is of high enough quality and vision to overcome my apathy. I mean, I'd celebrate in the streets if they announced some new, intriguing direction for Nightwing or Cyborg or one of my other favorites, or introduced a new character who had promise, with creative teams who could pull it off and editors brave enough to take the risk. But what we usually get is just the same old same old. Batman spends six months defeating Mr. Freeze for the billionth time. Meh.

Some of the Future State stuff looks vaguely interesting, and maybe some of the books afterwards will be too. I tell myself that all the chaos this year has left us with a DC under completely different management with a totally new operating system and goals, and this could give us some of the best comics the company has produced in years. But I don't know yet if that'll actually happen, or if we'll just get the same comics in a different wrapper.
    I have been meaning to ask the Superman board crew what the word is on this Dceased neverending series

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

It's likely to happen. Jim Lee and Marie Javins are different from DiDio and Harras. I would be cautiously optimistic about them.

The only thing I enjoyed from DC's output this year was 'The Otherside of the DCU'.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I have been meaning to ask the Superman board crew what the word is on this Dceased neverending series
    Can't speak for everyone but a lot of us wrote the series off in issue six when Clark one-shot Diana and we realized Taylor isn't all he's chalked up to be. The guy gets his own universe and as a result gets to put in big moments that seem interesting (Dinah becoming a GL) but a lot of it rings a bit hollow, like fanfic. I dunno. I personally just can't with Taylor's "kill 'em all and let DC sort 'em out" approach.