Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

Exclamation "Yes, I am." - Ares Appreciation

The god with an attitude and an arsenal to match, this is where we can come to pay tribute to the God of War himself, Ares!

Taken from us by (Bendis) the Sentry far too soon, Ares nevertheless remains one of my favorite Marvel characters at present, though I admit to being barely familiar with the character before Dark Reign got underway. Dark Avengers really brought him to the forefront for me, however, and upon going back and reading Michael Avon Oeming's grand opus, Ares: God of War, I was instantly made a fan of the character.

At times seeming more human than the savage god he's so often pigeonholed as being, in the right writer's hands, Ares readily demonstrates that he's a character with over two-thousand years of depth to mine through. Whether battling men, monsters, or even other gods, he's a warrior through and through, but also a conflicted brother, father, and son, too. Stories like The Savage Axe of Ares really cut (no pun intended) to the range of themes that can be told with the character, and here's hoping that he returns sometime soon so we can get more of them.

So by all means, share your favorite Ares pictures, quotes, and storylines here, everyone! There can only ever be one Ares (at Marvel, anyway), and he deserves to be remembered!
    Last edited by Energist; 03-27-2015 at 10:00 AM.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

I hope that Marvel brings back Ares.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Thad937; 08-20-2014 at 02:50 PM.

LOVE Ares. He was amazing!!! His Dark Reign mini-series and his role in Mighty and Dark Avengers... oh, I love and miss him!!!

My favourite Ares moment of all time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Energist View Post
    The god with an attitude and an arsenal to match
    HAHAHAHAHA! I read this as "The God with an attitude, and an arse to match!" LOL! He does have an amazing butt... that is true... Also, Daken flirting with him was awesome too. Ares totally rocked that!

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-20-2014 at 12:38 AM.

BANNED

hot as hell

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

The problem with Ares... they made him dumb, and then they killed him.
    Ironically, they did something of a similar vein with Daken, who was the only bi-sexual guy in the
    MU that was worth a damn. (and to be sure! I'm not a fan of that sort of thing) strung him out on drugs (i.e. made him dumb, and killed him) all disappointing.

BANNED

Someone post the scan of Ares riding the bomb, or Ares sucker-punching Wonder Man.

Man, I really miss Ares.

Wonder if he'll ever pop up in the MCU. Never gave a Hercules film much of a chance a couple of years ago, but with The Guardians of the Galaxy being the biggest U.S. blockbuster of the summer, I suppose anything's possible now.

"Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

BANNED

Wonder if he'll ever pop up in the MCU. Never gave a Hercules film much of a chance a couple of years ago, but with The Guardians of the Galaxy being the biggest U.S. blockbuster of the summer, I suppose anything's possible now.

OMG thank you. That entire scene with Ares and Wonderman vs. Herc is comedy gold.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

I loved seeing Ares in the MU! I enjoyed reading the Mighty Avengers and Dark Avengers. He was a force! Loved that he was Hercules main enemy. Hated that he was killed in Siege, thought it was completely dumb and strictly for the sake to show how powerful Sentry was, but I really felt that Ares could have defeated him…he is the God of War after all. And I was hoping to see his return in the pages of the HERC series, but it was cancelled before it could happen

Hoping someone great writer will bring him back in the near future along with Hercules!!
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

I always liked Ares and felt he had potential but he always had his butt kicked...at least from what I read. It's surprising to me that he's still dead and Marvel hasn't brought him back yet. It's been about 5 years since Siege so I would imagine something involving Ares will happen soon due to Marvels rights on the character. I'm pretty sure that's how things legally go right? If nothing is done with a character in 5 years they lose the rights? Thats why minis and flash backs and things like that happen often to characters in limbo?

And what is that scene from where he sucker punched Wonder Man like that??!! That's hilarious!!

Really miss having ares around, he's one character that needs to come back.....

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I really miss Ares. The funny guy in Herc, the badass from Dark Avengers and the more poignant appearances in Secret Warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    LOVE Ares. He was amazing!!! His Dark Reign mini-series and his role in Mighty and Dark Avengers... oh, I love and miss him!!!

My favourite Ares moment of all time!!!
    I think that was the moment I kinda fell in love with Ares. A sweet backhand and "If I hit you, you'd be broken" was all it took. Funnily enough, I also kinda love American Eagle from the beatdown he gave Bullseye.

Man, I didn't even realise he had a Dark Reign mini, I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    Someone post the scan of Ares riding the bomb, or Ares sucker-punching Wonder Man.

Man, I really miss Ares.
    Haha that cheap shot on Wonder Man was amazing, still makes me giggle. Really like this bit as well,

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    It's been about 5 years since Siege so I would imagine something involving Ares will happen soon due to Marvels rights on the character. I'm pretty sure that's how things legally go right? If nothing is done with a character in 5 years they lose the rights? Thats why minis and flash backs and things like that happen often to characters in limbo?
    I'm not a lawyer, so I could easily be mistaken, but I believe a character like Ares is public domain. Technically, anyone can use him (and, indeed, DC already has their own (far less interesting, in my opinion) version of the character). Unfortunately, then, Marvel doesn't really have this impetus on themselves to use him again.

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    And what is that scene from where he sucker punched Wonder Man like that??!! That's hilarious!!
    Incredible Hercules #114. Awesome series, by the way.

I'm not a lawyer, so I could easily be mistaken, but I believe a character like Ares is public domain. Technically, anyone can use him (and, indeed, DC already has their own (far less interesting, in my opinion) version of the character). Unfortunately, then, Marvel doesn't really have this impetus on themselves to use him again.

You can't copy write legends and gods, otherwise someone would be making a mint after scriptwriting Jesus, Buddha and Moses.