• Matt Gaetz

0 0%
  • Tom Cotton

1 3.45%
  • other

8 27.59%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Default Who Will Be The 2024 GOP Presidential Candidate?

Basically, the fight over the nomination has already begun.

Will Trumpism continue to dominate the GOP? Will they go back to the Bush style? Will there be a completely new style of conservatism? And who will be the candidate in the end?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Has Mitt Romney said anything about running? He's probably been the face of the anti Trumpists since McCain died.

Right now though the Trump cult looks like it has the most power in the party so I'd bet on Trump or someone Trump adjacent winning. Though if any criminal charges happen post Inauguration that could change.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Donald Trump Sr is the favorite. This doesn't mean his chances are better than even, but he has support from a lot of primary voters, lost reelection narrowly in terms of the swing states, will dominate the conversation, and will have sycophants crediting his administration for any resolution to COVID.

Donald Trump Jr has a potential launching pad if he can become the head of the NRA, as he's apparently interested in doing.

Ivanka Trump would need to beef up her resume. I don't think that's doable in four years.

Nikki Haley has a decent reputation and qualifications, but would need to stand out in a crowded field.

Mike Pence unites different sections of the party as an evangelical member of the establishment who served in the Trump administration, but I'm not sure who would see him as their first choice.

Tucker Carlson has a lot of name recognition, and could easily run as a Trump with less self-owns. If there's a Trump in the race, he might help split votes. If there's no Trump, he could run against members of his administration (Pence, Haley, Pompeo) as the true heir.

Marco Rubio definitely wants to be President, and is trying to set himself up as a protector of blue-collar Americans. He also has a good platform as a prominent Senator. He's probably in the top five.

Ted Cruz would need to find a way to distinguish himself. Cotton has decent academic credentials. Pence has Evangelical support. There are other firebrands who haven't pissed off as many members of the party.

Tulsi Gabbard was a Bernie Sanders supporter in 2016 who got about one percent in Democratic primaries.

Larry Hogan is the guy I'd vote for in the primaries. He's setting up a presidential bid, squaring the circle of appealing to moderates without pissing off the base, as in his recent Op-Ed endorsing the Republican Senators in the Georgia runoff. Centrists rarely win primaries, although the Republicans did nominate McCain and Romney relatively recently.

Michael Steele doesn't have enough of a resume, and has probably pissed off too many people on the right.

George Conway has a similar story. A lawyer who has been yelling about Trump's corruption isn't going to be a presidential contender.

Matt Gaetz seems to be a lightweight congressman. He's notable for sucking up to Trump, but Trump fans would prefer someone with the Trump last name, or another celebrity candidate.

Tom Cotton is a small-state Senator. He would have to find a way to stand out in a crowded field.

It seems to me the top five are Donald Trump Sr, Marco Rubio, Mike Pence, Nikki Haley and Donald Trump Jr. If no Trump runs, Tucker Carlson would be a top-tier contender.
    Ted Cruz, Tom Cotton and Larry Hogan would be the B-listers.
    I don't think there's any chance for Ivanka Trump, Tulsi Gabbard, Michael Steele, George Conway or Matt Gaetz.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

In December of 2012, if this question was asked, all responses would be grossly wrong. And the answer was even more gross.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Jesus christ is that a terrifying list. Right now I'd have to guess Trump himself still has a decent shot at it unless his crimes and debt finally catch up with him or the big macs finally do him in.

Astonishing Member

Mike Pompeo should certainly be on the list. He will go all out, and he has already fired people for investigating him for wrongdoing. Trumpists admire that.

Astonishing Member

I wish Schwarzenegger were allowed to run.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Mike Pompeo should certainly be on the list. He will go all out, and he has already fired people for investigating him for wrongdoing. Trumpists admire that.
    Pompeo was born in Narnia and is not eligible.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Pompeo was born in Narnia and is not eligible.
    I found a site that prices out domain names. pompeoforpresident.com is up for sale, price $10,000

Not worth the money unless you plan on messing with him in 4 years.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Mighty Member

Attila the Hun.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Forget Trump, if he goes on trial and gets convicted, he’s toast, and Junior isn’t worth seriously considering. Forget Ivanka, Haley and Gabbard, right wingers and conservatives would sooner eat ground glass and wash it down with antifreeze before voting for a woman. Forget Mittens and Steele, they burned too many bridges by daring to go against Dolt45, and his cultists aren’t the forgive and forget kind. Forget Pence, Cruz and Rubio, they aren’t rabid enough to follow in Trump’s footsteps and bring the mouth foaming crazy like he had. The wild card here is Carlson, just like Trump, he could come out of left field to nail down the nomination.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Attila the Hun.
    You mean Loeffler?

Hillary was right!

Mighty Member

Yet another political thread on here....but I cannot resist.

1. Donald Trump is done

No one is going to be excited about electing a President for 1 term.
    He has alienated swing and moderate voters with his erratic unstable personality (embracing conspiracy theories, and fringe anti vaccers)
    Trump will most likely be mired in corruption charges (Testimony from Micheal Cohen) .

2. The public will never vote for Donald Trump JR

He has shown to be as erratic and unstable as his father, (embracing conspiracy theories)
    He championed his father's appeal to the fringe right in the last election (Militia men, Trump Train, non maskers & other wierdos)
    If he needs to be pardoned by his father, than he will have a black mark on his name

3. The person who wins the GOP will take some of Trump's views, moderate them, in order to make them appealing to moderates.

The three issues Trump rode to victory on, 1. Nationalization of the economy (Tariffs) 2. immigration 3. Foreign Intervention, are not solely American issues,

they are the three core issues being played out around the world in politics right now. Basically the core urban centers vs the peripheral rural towns.

The candidate who appeals to these issues has a strong chance to win the GOP in 2024, but not necessarily the Presidency.

Trump lost twice, first by 3 million votes and then by over 7 million votes. He didn't win on any policy, just got lucky with a few States in our f'ed up election system.
    American voters rejected him, twice, and he lost Georgia! A solid Red State.
    He owns the soul of the Republican Party, but he is not ever going to get the majority of American voters.
    He will also be mired in court cases the next four years, both civil and criminal and a business on the verge of collapse.

I don't doubt that a Trump like candidate could emerge and win the nomination, and the election because of our non-majority system.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 12-05-2020 at 03:00 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

I think Trump four years out will probably be too tired/old to want to waste the energy on another campaign and four years in office beyond that, or (wishful thinking perhaps) something he's done while in office or on his way out (pardons for cash/leaking of info/etc.) will finally make him too toxic at least to the Party (not sure there is a line he can cross with his base) to disqualify him. His daughter is beautiful, but doesn't have his charisma. His sons don't even have looks going for them. It'd be like Hillary, all of the baggage and none of the charisma.

Besides him on that list I think Haley might be interesting, but being a woman and a minority is probably a bridge too far (maybe VP slot). I voted Other, probably someone we're not considering now. Might be too early, but folks on the right seem to love them some Dan Crenshaw. I could see him going for it. Not very experienced, but considering the bar is now Trump he's relatively overqualified. It's going to be a rough couple of years for Biden/Harris to turn things around, and they might be vulnerable if anything goes wrong. Between the virus, the economy, repairing relationships, whatever other fires the Trump administration set we don't even know about or are going to set on the way out the door they might be working hard to get to zero and not get much credit for it. Hope I'm wrong, but this list gives me some hope there's not a lot out there to be scared of in four years. Then again, I never thought we'd have a Trump.