Page 181 of 258 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191231 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 3858
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Alpha seems to think that anyone that has super strength, is bullet-proof, and can fly is just a straight up superman clone. Boy, we would be here all day making that list.
    Exactly. Why is WW the only one that can't be bulletproof out of countless flying bricks with Super Strength? Specially when her creator stated in one issue of his run that she was invulnerable, and has also said he meant for her to be as strong as SM. If you want her to be unique. You can still achieve that with a bulletproof WW. You only have to give proper attention to her unique martial art skills and unique magic gear(lasso, tiara, bracelets) that no other comic character shares in common. And there you have the way to make Diana stand out compared to other flying bricks. It isn't difficult at all.

Or just don't let her get hit with bullets.

A punch from Doomsday >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>> an rpg.
    Yes, a punch from Doomsday would deal damage. Just like it does to Superman.

But it would take many many many punches from Doomsday for her to be incapacitated or die

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    And there you have the way to make Diana stand out compared to other flying bricks. It isn't difficult at all.
    I agree. What I'm proposing is cool and simple. And it doesn't make her like any other flying brick

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yes, a punch from Doomsday would deal damage. Just like it does to Superman.

But it would take many many many punches from Doomsday for her to be incapacitated or die
    Your proposal would have Diana be a walking exoskeleton after a single punch or be shattered like the porcelain doll your making her out to be. It's a bad solution.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or just don't let her get hit with bullets.
    Problem 1: Diana's only weakness is to piercing weapons, any kind, regular old bullets and knives will do the trick.

Problem 2: Diana is too stupid fast to be hit by bullets and to stupid tough to be conceivably hurt by anything man made in particular, knives and bullets especially.

Problem 3: writers naturally use a character's weakness in stories. This is a problem with a Goddess level character, sculpted by clay and brought to life by the breath of Gods, when the only weakness is something that doesn't take much thought into it. Put Diana against a shotgun, that's all the tension you need, right?

Good solutions: give Diana more believable weaknesses to her power level, make her bullet proof, make writers use their creative brains to put Diana in situations that don't involve the deadliest thing being a glock.

Bad solutions: Perform mental gymnastics to justify a bad, outdated weakness. Make her "skin" kind of tough but still not bullet proof.

Extraordinary Member

Problem 1: Diana's only weakness is to piercing weapons, any kind, regular old bullets and knives will do the trick.

Problem 2: Diana is too stupid fast to be hit by bullets and to stupid tough to be conceivably hurt by anything man made in particular, knives and bullets especially.

Problem 3: writers naturally use a character's weakness in stories. This is a problem with a Goddess level character, sculpted by clay and brought to life by the breath of Gods, when the only weakness is something that doesn't take much thought into it. Put Diana against a shotgun, that's all the tension you need, right?

Good solutions: give Diana more believable weaknesses to her power level, make her bullet proof, make writers use their creative brains to put Diana in situations that don't involve the deadliest thing being a glock.

Bad solutions: Perform mental gymnastics to justify a bad, outdated weakness. Make her "skin" kind of tough but still not bullet proof.
    Okay, so honest question: so just lasers from here on in?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Your proposal would have Diana be a walking exoskeleton after a single punch or be shattered like the porcelain doll your making her out to be. It's a bad solution.
    No it wouldn't. The skin is strong, the inner skin is stronger, the rest of the meat and fat are really really really strong, and the muscles are really really really really strong, etc. So it would take a long time for her to be a skeleton

A mountain isn't bullet proof. But it takes a long ass time for you to go through a mountain with an AK47

Personally, I'm not into explaining semantics with convoluted lore-dumps.

"Diana's invulnerable except to these particular things because a magic spell that only works during certain phases of the moon and when she's wearing her costume and blah-de-blah-de-blah..."

It reminds me of the pretzels fans twist themselves into to explain how Wonder Woman can first appear in World War II, then jump to modern day without losing her supporting cast or having to acknowledge the character development she should theoretically have in the timespan in between.

"Diana started in WWII, but then went back to Themyscira where time moves differently, so to her only a few days past, but then she came back, and it turns out Steve and Etta wound up the god-zone (whatever the hell that is, we'll figure it out later) which kept them from aging, and now they're all back, and no one remembers Wonder Woman in World War II because Circe cast a spell...."

As they say...K.I.S.S.
    Keep It Simple, Stupid.

For me, I think Diana's durability and resistence to injury should be relatively proportional to her strength. She's not indestructible. She can be wounded. All that.
    I just think if she can take a punch to the face from Superman and Doomsday with only a bloody nose to show for it, gunfire shouldn't be that much of a threat to her.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Okay, so honest question: so just lasers from here on in?
    I'll put it simply, if it can harm any other heavy hitter than chances are it's going to harm Diana, with some exceptions. Hence the bracelets, which among other things are designed to negate said harmful damage. Other characters either have to tank the hit or dodge it. Diana can do both or, through speed and skill, just negate it all together. She has another way to deal with incoming attacks.

Heck, I'd be fine if they took from the 2017 movie Ares fight and have her bracelets create a shield around her that stops projectiles and throws them back at enemies. It gives her more options.

I already posted a list of weaknesses I personally find interesting and cool to implement for Diana that allows for a lot of variability in threats and tension/drama and elevates her villains to greater potential. I really don't want to try and find it, but I will if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Personally, I'm not into explaining semantics with convoluted lore-dumps.

"Diana's invulnerable except to these particular things because a magic spell that only works during certain phases of the moon and when she's wearing her costume and blah-de-blah-de-blah..."

It reminds me of the pretzels fans twist themselves into to explain how Wonder Woman can first appear in World War II, then jump to modern day without losing her supporting cast or having to acknowledge the character development she should theoretically have in the timespan in between.

"Diana started in WWII, but then went back to Themyscira where time moves differently, so to her only a few days past, but then she came back, and it turns out Steve and Etta wound up the god-zone (whatever the hell that is, we'll figure it out later) which kept them from aging, and now they're all back, and no one remembers Wonder Woman in World War II because Circe cast a spell...."

As they say...K.I.S.S.
    Keep It Simple, Stupid.

For me, I think Diana's durability and resistence to injury should be relatively proportional to her strength. She's not indestructible. She can be wounded. All that.
    I just think if she can take a punch to the face from Superman and Doomsday with only a bloody nose to show for it, gunfire shouldn't be that much of a threat to her.
    100% with this.

Just a little nudge - let's try to keep this thread on topic and not diverge too far into the 'just how tough should Diana be?' idea.

Feel free to make a new thread if you'd like!

EDIT

So clearly that polite nudge was ignored. Let's refrain from ignoring polite nudges in the future.

All posts after this one regarding Diana's weaknesses have been moved to a new thread aptly entitled 'Wonder Woman's Weaknesses.'

Any posts after this time that continue down this particular off-topic branch will be deleted.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 07-22-2022 at 09:45 AM.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Cheetah .

WONDER WOMAN #792
    Written by BECKY CLOONAN and MICHAEL W. CONRAD
    Art by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE
    Backup written by JORDIE BELLAIRE
    Backup art by PAULINA GANUCHEAU
    Cover by YANICK PAQUETTE
    Variant cover by TBD
    1:25 variant cover by ZU ORZU
    1:50 Cheetah Costume variant cover by TBD
    Black Adam variant cover by LUCIO PERRILLO
    $4.99 US | 40 pages | Variant $5.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 10/11/22
    Cheetah's gone wild! After serving as the test subject for an immoral corporation's latest product, Barbara Minerva has all but lost her humanity and it's up to Wonder Woman to remind her who she really is. Will their former friendship be the key to survival? Or are our hero and the helpless villain doomed to become extinct? Plus, in our backup story, a guest star from Olympus visits young Diana's world for the first time.