Page 168 of 258 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178218 ... LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 3858

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    I mean, what can you expect when you have writers in DC disrespecting WW constantly?

Apparently hawkgirl, Mera, Barda, Starfire, Artemis and Hyppolyta are just as as powerful as WW according to trhis list. LOL

https://screenrant.com/dc-comic-fema...-wonder-woman/
    Okay, are we gonna get mad and share every clickbait article we come across.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I made a thread to discuss these rankings. Because this thread is about current WW run.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    TBF a lot of that has to do with the idea that Diana herself isn't that powerful, it works both ways. "If Cheetah can't beat Diana, then clearly someone weaker than her can take Cheetah on too, right?" and when you view Diana as just a slightly superior amazon vs a literal child of the Gods then you get stuff like Batman, Green Arrow and Catwoman taking Cheetah down.

I agree with your context take too, though a lot of those stories also established those villains as physical threats to Diana as well, save for Psycho and Cale. I think First Born has a lot of potential if you take away the context of Nu52 Diana's origin and amazons.
    Yeah totally get your point about the ripple effect of it scaling Diana's power, that's fair. Though with villains I meant less that they're purely psychological threats and more that they have a lot more in their bag of tricks than, say, punching really hard and shooting energy beams like Doomsday or Mongul. The fact that she deals with crafty gods and magic instead of just "meeting her match" all the time makes her way more interesting IMO. Probably getting off topic here though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Are you new here?

A lot of movies, television series, novel series, etc. all have series bibles that track what happens to characters and their world so it stays true to who the character is and their skills, attributes and history.

I’ve always wondered if or if not editors at DC or Marvel should use these as a tool for changing creative teams to better represent the characters they’re writing and rendering… I get that can be difficult to do for an entire multiverse of characters, but I think it’d be helpful and supportive in a creative way.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    A lot of movies, television series, novel series, etc. all have series bibles that track what happens to characters and their world so it stays true to who the character is and their skills, attributes and history.

I’ve always wondered if or if not editors at DC or Marvel should use these as a tool for changing creative teams to better represent the characters they’re writing and rendering… I get that can be difficult to do for an entire multiverse of characters, but I think it’d be helpful and supportive in a creative way.
    At one point Marvel did, not sure if they still do. In the 80's, they had the Marvel Universe handbook (or something like that) which was either a weekly or monthly comic which went through, alphabetically, all the major heroes and villains in their lineup. They were pretty detailed about ranking characters in terms of strength by stating that Spiderman, for instance, can lift 10 tons, while a character like She-Hulk started at 70 tons (could be wrong about that) before she gets mad, and anyone like Hulk and Thor were above the 100 ton lifting class. Back then, I thought they were pretty consistent about power levels, such that the author had to figure out ways to get characters like Spiderman to beat up on a Herald of Galactus at the time in Firelord (I think I got the name right, it has been a long time) knowing the inherent disparities in strength levels between the two. For those that don't know, basically Spiderman used his spider-sense and agility to the effect that Firelord couldn't touch him as Spidey was not holding back and hitting him consistently until he went down. Firelord did say he didn't want to use his nova flame for a cheap win.

I would love for DC to do something like this, but when Superman is lifting a quintillion tons and we still have stories about DC heroes moving planets, that point may be moot.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    At one point Marvel did, not sure if they still do. In the 80's, they had the Marvel Universe handbook (or something like that) which was either a weekly or monthly comic which went through, alphabetically, all the major heroes and villains in their lineup. They were pretty detailed about ranking characters in terms of strength by stating that Spiderman, for instance, can lift 10 tons, while a character like She-Hulk started at 70 tons (could be wrong about that) before she gets mad, and anyone like Hulk and Thor were above the 100 ton lifting class. Back then, I thought they were pretty consistent about power levels, such that the author had to figure out ways to get characters like Spiderman to beat up on a Herald of Galactus at the time in Firelord (I think I got the name right, it has been a long time) knowing the inherent disparities in strength levels between the two. For those that don't know, basically Spiderman used his spider-sense and agility to the effect that Firelord couldn't touch him as Spidey was not holding back and hitting him consistently until he went down. Firelord did say he didn't want to use his nova flame for a cheap win.

I would love for DC to do something like this, but when Superman is lifting a quintillion tons and we still have stories about DC heroes moving planets, that point may be moot.
    Lol, you did pretty good here, Bite the Bullet. Just a few clean-ups: She-Hulk started at "about 50 tons" and her mad did not matter. Hulk was 100 tons (sometimes changed to 90 tons calm) as was Thor, although I think one book might have listed Thor at 95 tons. Yes, Spidey did beat Firelord to the disdain of many. I believe the lame Marvel excuse was something like "Spidey was fighting the best fight of his life and Firelord was having an off (bad) day. A really off (bad)-day. It may not happen often but occasionally it does. Firelord was so off and Spidey was fighting so well, that this outcome happened."
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I bought both versions of D.C.'s Who's Who but have all these random loose leaf pages because I didn't buy the binder you were supposed to keep them in, Marvel's Official Handbook was far superior, mostly because they invented the idea.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post

I grew up in the era where these types of references were gospel, and I ate it up. However, modern creators don't want to be beholden to such metrics and I don't see that changing anytime soon (for better or for worse).

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Lol, you did pretty good here, Bite the Bullet. Just a few clean-ups: She-Hulk started at "about 50 tons" and her mad did not matter. Hulk was 100 tons (sometimes changed to 90 tons calm) as was Thor, although I think one book might have listed Thor at 95 tons. Yes, Spidey did beat Firelord to the disdain of many. I believe the lame Marvel excuse was something like "Spidey was fighting the best fight of his life and Firelord was having an off (bad) day. A really off (bad)-day. It may not happen often but occasionally it does. Firelord was so off and Spidey was fighting so well, that this outcome happened."
    Case in point.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I bought both versions of D.C.'s Who's Who but have all these random loose leaf pages because I didn't buy the binder you were supposed to keep them in, Marvel's Official Handbook was far superior, mostly because they invented the idea.
    The DC's Who's Who was a far inferior product to the Marvel Universe handbook. If someone had super strength, that is all we got. They at least tried to quantify the different characters in Marvel by saying how much they could bench and that characters whose strength couldn't be very well measured in the above 100 ton class.

I am pretty sure that a character like Cheetah, back in these times, would not have gotten the shaft that she does now or lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I had no problem with the Spidey/Firelord fight. Firelord already said he wouldn't go nova because that would make it game over right away. If I remember right, they had him rated at 50 tons versus Spidey at 10 tons, and given Spidey's spider sense and incredible agility, I didn't see a problem with the outcome. I thought this was Spidey at his best, sans distractions he should always be next to impossible to get hit and if you consistently hit your opponent without getting touched, you will probably win. IF I also remember right, Spidey kept going until he was too tired to throw another punch.

If you are a Firelord fanatic, you could always point to the fact that it would have been game over if he went nova, so there was a little for everyone if you look at it that way.

Extraordinary Member

Wonder Woman #789 Preview
    Writers: Michael Conrad and Becky Cloonan
    Artists: Emanuel Lupacchino and Eduordo Pansica
    Backup Writer: Jordie Bellaire
    Backup Artist: Paulina Ganucheau

WW COVER 788.jpg

It seems Paquette is drawing the boots less complicated than before but now the belt is more busy.

Incredible Member

I really like the use of the lasso for Dolos/Psycho.

I have a question. Is Cizko pronounced Sisko or Psycho?

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I really like the use of the lasso for Dolos/Psycho.

I have a question. Is Cizko pronounced Sisko or Psycho?
    That one, I believe.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor