Page 249 of 258 FirstFirst ... 149199239245246247248249250251252253 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,735 of 3858
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    They are technologically advanced though, and Angleman70 is right. Everything we have now is due to Perez after all he was the one who started the multiple tribes.
    I actually think that was Dan Mishkin, but Perez executed it better.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    True, but Perez fleshed out the concept, created the Bana and hinted at there being more.

Oh yeah, he created the Bana too. What else in the current wonder universe comes from him?

Putting aside that the Bana were pretty clearly inspired by Mishkins run because Perez borrowed a surprising amount from past continuity, oh and Faruka who was a villain and killed off in his run (and was also white and had an eyepatch)
    And of course the Well of Souls...
    His take on Deimos with the snakes still makes appearances here and there.
    Barbara Minerva is his creation even if she has changed quite a bit since his interpretation.
    Myndi Mayer gets referenced on occasion
    The Kapatelis family of course, though comics have not been kind to them ever since Byrne did everything he could to try writing them out to replace with his totally original characters.
    He created a character named Shim'Tar who looked like Diana but with a face mask and guns. Messner-Loebs would make it a title of the Banas champion.

Oh and he ended his run with having the Greek gods decide to leave the universe and never involve themselves ever again in the affairs of mortals, wiping the slate clean of all god stuff so that no run would ever use them ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Do you mean that in terms of popularity? Because I don't think we can trace the wordlbuilding of today to him very much aside from the Well of Souls (and the amazons not being a technologically advanced society).
    First, you have to look at what Diana was pre-crisis. It was dull. Basically, she was a typical superhero. Diana also lacked most of the powers she has today (super speed, flight, hunter ability and communication with animals, A-2 strength from Demeter).

Second, IÂ’ll go with detail as I said before. There was a greater telling of the Amazons and the Gods which brought a cohesiveness to DianaÂ’s and the Amazons orgins. Themyscira and the buildings all remained consistent throughout his run. The names of the Amazons mostly remained consistent with better character development. Olympus was jarring and confusing as it should be and not some generic palace as was shown before and yes they wear togas as befit to their history. Perez also gave WW a down to earth supporting cast in Julia and Vanessa.

All these things and more gave WW the much lifted oomph that was needed. If he hadnÂ’t jumped in to do it at that time then who knows what wouldÂ’ve happened . As to his work being wordy, Rightly so! There is no better way to tell a story without the words. It is a book after all!

It will always be DC themselves that can make WW popular or not. Was she then, I believe to a point but itÂ’s hard to compete with the X-men, Supes and Bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Putting aside that the Bana were pretty clearly inspired by Mishkins run because Perez borrowed a surprising amount from past continuity, oh and Faruka who was a villain and killed off in his run (and was also white and had an eyepatch)
    And of course the Well of Souls...
    His take on Deimos with the snakes still makes appearances here and there.
    Barbara Minerva is his creation even if she has changed quite a bit since his interpretation.
    Myndi Mayer gets referenced on occasion
    The Kapatelis family of course, though comics have not been kind to them ever since Byrne did everything he could to try writing them out to replace with his totally original characters.
    He created a character named Shim'Tar who looked like Diana but with a face mask and guns. Messner-Loebs would make it a title of the Banas champion.

Oh and he ended his run with having the Greek gods decide to leave the universe and never involve themselves ever again in the affairs of mortals, wiping the slate clean of all god stuff so that no run would ever use them ever again.
    Circe also did exist and interact with WW pre-Crisis but if she gets used today it’s entirely because of Perez’s run.

Quote Originally Posted by Angleman70 View Post
    First, you have to look at what Diana was pre-crisis. It was dull. Basically, she was a typical superhero. Diana also lacked most of the powers she has today (super speed, flight, hunter ability and communication with animals, A-2 strength from Demeter).

Second, IÂ’ll go with detail as I said before. There was a greater telling of the Amazons and the Gods which brought a cohesiveness to DianaÂ’s and the Amazons orgins. Themyscira and the buildings all remained consistent throughout his run. The names of the Amazons mostly remained consistent with better character development. Olympus was jarring and confusing as it should be and not some generic palace as was shown before and yes they wear togas as befit to their history. Perez also gave WW a down to earth supporting cast in Julia and Vanessa.

All these things and more gave WW the much lifted oomph that was needed. If he hadnÂ’t jumped in to do it at that time then who knows what wouldÂ’ve happened . As to his work being wordy, Rightly so! There is no better way to tell a story without the words. It is a book after all!

It will always be DC themselves that can make WW popular or not. Was she then, I believe to a point but itÂ’s hard to compete with the X-men, Supes and Bats.
    Wasn’t his Shim’Tar Hippolyta?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Circe also did exist and interact with WW pre-Crisis but if she gets used today it’s entirely because of Perez’s run.
    kinda? I mean the entire plot with her being motivated by a prophecy that Diana would kill her is 100% straight ripped off of Mishkins run. As was the idea of her having an island full of various beastial monster men.
    Beyond that, Perez was indeed the one who established her having the soul and powers of Hecate which got used in a Justice League Dark story in recent years, but beyond that...

Like, Perez's Circe straight up just wanted her dead and would use her powers to try and kill Diana and the Amazons as much as possible. She had a plot to unmake the whole universe and recreate it in her image. She was built up as this ultimate big bad which few writers following Perez would even acknowledge.

It would be Messner-Loebs who would establish a weird sorta frenemy dynamic which became the norm in the modern day.
    Jiminez who played up the mother dynamic which Messner-Loebs established.
    and nowadays she doesn't really have an army of bestial minions who serve her will, or a cult to do her bidding, or any schemes that even affect the world, much less the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Wasn’t his Shim’Tar Hippolyta?
    Sorta? His Shim'Tar was killed in the story which introduced the Bana (which also established them to be terrorist mercenaries which provided weapons and soldiers to the taliban in exchange for sex slaves)
    But then when Perez did that finale story he had the Bana come back as Circes minions and had Circe kidnap Hippolyta to use magic to brainwash her into becoming a new Shim'Tar so that her and Diana would either kill eachother, or it would cause the survivor unimaginable pain to discover they had killed a loved one.

True. He also used Circe and the bestiamorphs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    True. He also used Circe and the bestiamorphs as well.
    Also, Shim'tar was originally meant by Perez to be a revamp of Dr. Cyber, who showed up in her masked armored form in the Mishkin run. He placed Cyber and Shim'tar next to each other in his "Wonder Woman through the ages" poster.

Then we have Conway inventing Deborah Domaine Cheetah (a more savage Cheetah with long red hair), and Thomas brought back Dr. Psycho and introduced the Silver Swan. All three of which were used by Mishkin in a one-off story. Perez basically polished her late Bronze Age rogues gallery for his run (Cheetah, Circe, Psycho, Silver Swan and Cyber/Shim'tar). Angle Man was really the only one that was missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Whatever one can say about Cloonan and Conrad, their Diana has conviction and backbone.
    That’s definitely true from my point of view.

Also, Shim'tar was originally meant by Perez to be a revamp of Dr. Cyber, who showed up in her masked armored form in the Mishkin run. He placed Cyber and Shim'tar next to each other in his "Wonder Woman through the ages" poster.

Then we have Conway inventing Deborah Domaine Cheetah (a more savage Cheetah with long red hair), and Thomas brought back Dr. Psycho and introduced the Silver Swan. All three of which were used by Mishkin in a one-off story. Perez basically polished her late Bronze Age rogues gallery for his run (Cheetah, Circe, Psycho, Silver Swan and Cyber/Shim'tar). Angle Man was really the only one that was missing.
    I always for get that bit about Cyber and Shim’tar. A shame he didn’t do more to develop that character.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I always for get that bit about Cyber and Shim’tar. A shame he didn’t do more to develop that character.
    Had he stuck on the book longer, I wonder if he would have brought her back and highlighted more similarities between her and Cyber. I also would have loved if he brought back the other old Villainy Inc members.

Another idea for Cyber I've been kicking around, if we ever get another take that skews towards pre-Crisis (either in animation or an outside continuity comic): maybe Paula von Gunther's old slave/sidekick-turned-enemy Mavis could be Dr. Cyber? Veronica Cale now has elements of Paula folded into her, with her own friend now being Dr. Cyber. I'd like to see if they could reverse it in a new classic take on the WW-verse.

This is probably one of the worst numbers written by Cloonrad.
    Once again I feel that the whole story suffers from being too long and the worst thing is that instead of taking advantage of it, everything ends up in nothing.
    All the support casting could not be there since they do nothing, I can understand it in the case of Etta and Steve, but Siggy, Cheetah, The Captain, Yara, it is not understood that they are just mere observers, not to mention Ares who is only to talk and talk.
    I will repeat here that the fact that Artemis, Donna and Cassie do not have any participation in the story is absolute nonsense.
    I would have liked to see the story take place on several battlefronts, Earth (Diana, Cassie, Cheetah, Siggy) Themyscira (Nubia, Phillipus and the amazons as it takes place in the backup story, which I really liked) Qurac (Donna, Faruka and Artemis) and Akahim (Yara and the Esquecidas), fighting against the Gods of different pantheons. They could not only have developed other pantheons but also show the influence of these, allies and enemies, etc. I would have liked to see Cheetah take on Uzkartaga and maybe Siggy against Gundra.
    With a number to go I feel like it's another missed opportunity.

I'm confused, didn't Hera turn Diana into a goddess a few issues ago? But in this issue they say that the Shazam power up turned her into one. Or was she a discount goddess before and now she's a proper one?

Either way, I'm not feeling Cloonrad's take on the gods at all. They're just lame and uninteresting. Never thought I'd say this, but Azarello's gods were better.

Also, it's mind-boggling that Cassie's gear made an appearance, but Cassie herself did not.