Page 118 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 1909
  1. #1756
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    6,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Oddly enough, this is what has been missing the most in the series for some years now. So it's great to see this brought in so well.
    This is exactly what I've loved the most about the current run! But I'd be lying if I said my fingers weren't crossed, hoping it all doesn't go out the window with the next writer (as DC editorial is wont to do).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  2. #1757
    Mighty Member Largo161's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I also really, really disliked Cloonrad's first arc. However, I have found the beginning of the Image Maker and the Annual much better. If you are a fan of relationships, the Etta/Diana relationship in only two issues is the best it's been in years.

    Nubia is also great.

    I haven't read Wonder Girl - I'm waiting on the trade - but the reviews have been consistently good.

    I also liked the Artemis backup.

    However, none of these show any great "feats," but they do a wonderful amount of world and relationship building.
    You disliked all ten issues of the Afterworlds arc?
    I only support clay origins.

    “Amazons do know how to party”—Diana, Princess of Themyscira

  3. #1758
    Incredible Member Sebastianne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    515

    Default


  4. #1759
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    You disliked all ten issues of the Afterworlds arc?
    I didn't read all 10 issues. I checked my Comixology account, and I see that I stopped at 772, which is the issue with Thor. I just really, really disliked those three issues, and checked out and did not return until 780 and 781, which I really loved. I think I commented on both threads, as I was such a big fan of both.

    I also read the Annual today, which I also really liked, especially the Diana/Etta scenes. And I'm on record countless times as to loving seeing Diana in a museum, especially the Smithsonian.

  5. #1760
    Mighty Member Largo161's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I didn't read all 10 issues. I checked my Comixology account, and I see that I stopped at 772, which is the issue with Thor. I just really, really disliked those three issues, and checked out and did not return until 780 and 781, which I really loved. I think I commented on both threads, as I was such a big fan of both.

    I also read the Annual today, which I also really liked, especially the Diana/Etta scenes. And I'm on record countless times as to loving seeing Diana in a museum, especially the Smithsonian.
    Ok. I gotcha.
    I only support clay origins.

    “Amazons do know how to party”—Diana, Princess of Themyscira

  6. #1761
    Astonishing Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    And everything isn't unicorns and rainbows, as some would seem to suggest here. According to a few of the posters here, nothing has ever been better than it has been now for the Wonder Woman universe. I beg to differ, but then again I haven't been spending any of my money lately on Wonder Woman products. For all I know, the posters here could be right and this is the best of all time periods to be a Wonder Woman fan. But I got suckered into thinking that and bought the first arc of the Cloonrad comic and was severely disappointed.

    I hope Wonder Woman gets better. Justice Society, Cloonrad 1st arc and WW84 isn't lending me to believe that is happening!
    Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I also really, really disliked Cloonrad's first arc. However, I have found the beginning of the Image Maker and the Annual much better. If you are a fan of relationships, the Etta/Diana relationship in only two issues is the best it's been in years.

    Nubia is also great.

    I haven't read Wonder Girl - I'm waiting on the trade - but the reviews have been consistently good.

    I also liked the Artemis backup.

    However, none of these show any great "feats," but they do a wonderful amount of world and relationship building.
    Okay I promise I won't press the point because I disagree, but I'm really curious as to why you didn't like the first arc? What was it that turned you off about it? For me it's every bit as good as Rucka and Perez simply because of how they changed Diana's voice and tone. She's much more forceful, braggadocios and aggressive now, but she's still nice, has an air of regality and uses diplomacy before violence. It's like Cloonrad turned her volume up and added more heat to her personality, so she more closely resembles her Golden Age characterization.

  7. #1762
    Incredible Member MarquisAsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Okay I promise I won't press the point because I disagree, but I'm really curious as to why you didn't like the first arc? What was it that turned you off about it? For me it's every bit as good as Rucka and Perez simply because of how they changed Diana's voice and tone. She's much more forceful, braggadocios and aggressive now, but she's still nice, has an air of regality and uses diplomacy before violence. It's like Cloonrad turned her volume up and added more heat to her personality, so she more closely resembles her Golden Age characterization.
    I agree with everything you said. I like that she seems to know she’s the pill to swallow.

  8. #1763
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Okay I promise I won't press the point because I disagree, but I'm really curious as to why you didn't like the first arc? What was it that turned you off about it? For me it's every bit as good as Rucka and Perez simply because of how they changed Diana's voice and tone. She's much more forceful, braggadocios and aggressive now, but she's still nice, has an air of regality and uses diplomacy before violence. It's like Cloonrad turned her volume up and added more heat to her personality, so she more closely resembles her Golden Age characterization.
    For anyone who's familiar with my posts, I don't think this response should come as a surprise. I really, really, don't like seeing Diana outside of "Man's world." As I've said in other posts, before Nubia and the Artemis backup and even the Wonder Woman films, I really did not like any story of Diana on Themyscira. It seemed too far away from Diana's mission, and ultimately, I'm interested in how Diana impacts man's world and how man's world impacts Diana.

    Accordingly, I just wasn't interested in Diana in Valhalla. Ironically, I'm quite certain in this very thread I actually say I'm excited once the solicit was released. However, buying the comic and reading it was a slog for me to get through. Not because of Diana's characterization, but because I just didn't care about that particular world, how Diana impacted it or how it impacted Diana.

    Building on that, I stopped at 772 because I'm pretty sure that's when the solicits were released about Diana Earth hopping, and I just had no interest. I also didn't like the Janus design, so I wasn't particularly interested in the search for Janus.

    I kept up in the review threads to make sure I wasn't missing anything important, but even though you all were enthusiastic, I just could not push myself to buy those issues.

    This is also why I returned with 780 and why I think I'm now liking the run. Diana is in "man's world," she's interacting with Etta, and not interacting with Steve is a part of her story that it's clear will be resolved. I also like her being in D.C. and the Smithsonian.

    The run now is just closer to what I look for than it was before.

  9. #1764
    Astonishing Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    And everything isn't unicorns and rainbows, as some would seem to suggest here. According to a few of the posters here, nothing has ever been better than it has been now for the Wonder Woman universe. I beg to differ, but then again I haven't been spending any of my money lately on Wonder Woman products. For all I know, the posters here could be right and this is the best of all time periods to be a Wonder Woman fan. But I got suckered into thinking that and bought the first arc of the Cloonrad comic and was severely disappointed.

    I hope Wonder Woman gets better. Justice Society, Cloonrad 1st arc and WW84 isn't lending me to believe that is happening!
    Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I also really, really disliked Cloonrad's first arc. However, I have found the beginning of the Image Maker and the Annual much better. If you are a fan of relationships, the Etta/Diana relationship in only two issues is the best it's been in years.

    Nubia is also great.

    I haven't read Wonder Girl - I'm waiting on the trade - but the reviews have been consistently good.

    I also liked the Artemis backup.

    However, none of these show any great "feats," but they do a wonderful amount of world and relationship building.
    Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    For anyone who's familiar with my posts, I don't think this response should come as a surprise. I really, really, don't like seeing Diana outside of "Man's world." As I've said in other posts, before Nubia and the Artemis backup and even the Wonder Woman films, I really did not like any story of Diana on Themyscira. It seemed too far away from Diana's mission, and ultimately, I'm interested in how Diana impacts man's world and how man's world impacts Diana.

    Accordingly, I just wasn't interested in Diana in Valhalla. Ironically, I'm quite certain in this very thread I actually say I'm excited once the solicit was released. However, buying the comic and reading it was a slog for me to get through. Not because of Diana's characterization, but because I just didn't care about that particular world, how Diana impacted it or how it impacted Diana.

    Building on that, I stopped at 772 because I'm pretty sure that's when the solicits were released about Diana Earth hopping, and I just had no interest. I also didn't like the Janus design, so I wasn't particularly interested in the search for Janus.

    I kept up in the review threads to make sure I wasn't missing anything important, but even though you all were enthusiastic, I just could not push myself to buy those issues.

    This is also why I returned with 780 and why I think I'm now liking the run. Diana is in "man's world," she's interacting with Etta, and not interacting with Steve is a part of her story that it's clear will be resolved. I also like her being in D.C. and the Smithsonian.

    The run now is just closer to what I look for than it was before.
    Fair enough, hopefully you'll continue to enjoy the book and if you don't that's cool too.

  10. #1765
    Mighty Member Avi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,358

    Default

    The Enki people seem interesting enough, but I'm not into the plot point "got displaced by the Amazons".

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Anyways, I thought the Annual was decent but it's mainly more setup for Trial of the Amazons. I think my only real critique is that Diana felt weirdly more aggressive here than she has been under Cloonan/Conrad.

    Highlight was probably the Dianna/Etta stuff.
    Yeah, there was something off while she fought the robbers that made me think she was one of the Mirror Wonder Women for a second. Maybe sth happens at the end of the current arc that has Diana up in arms? I thought her more aggressive stance made perfect sense when she confronted Altuum, though. He was being a real creep.

    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Interesting that only Nubia and Diana are mentioned by name.

  11. #1766
    Just crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Okay I promise I won't press the point because I disagree, but I'm really curious as to why you didn't like the first arc? What was it that turned you off about it? For me it's every bit as good as Rucka and Perez simply because of how they changed Diana's voice and tone. She's much more forceful, braggadocios and aggressive now, but she's still nice, has an air of regality and uses diplomacy before violence. It's like Cloonrad turned her volume up and added more heat to her personality, so she more closely resembles her Golden Age characterization.
    Since you have also quoted one of my posts, here are my issues with the first arc (4 issues) of the Cloonrad run:

    Amnesia

    Powerless

    Her one night stand with Siggy which felt forced and out of character for Diana. If they had developed something beforehand, then maybe I could accept it. But just to say that they are warriors and go with that? Come on.

    For a warrior that should be at the top of the list for skills and the like for weapons and martial forms, she sure did die alot. Not a great look for her.

    Amnesia and powerless to start are big turn offs for me. It's been done before and this is how they start their first arc? But in order to finish the story, I did buy the 4 issues from comixology and was disappointed. I might try and reread them again and see if time changes my opinion, but the Janus arc coming after didn't make me want to buy the arc either. They either need to stop decompressing these arcs or put more epic action in them, since they don't have to worry about budget costs
    Last edited by BiteTheBullet; 12-02-2021 at 05:40 AM.

  12. #1767
    Just crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I also really, really disliked Cloonrad's first arc. However, I have found the beginning of the Image Maker and the Annual much better. If you are a fan of relationships, the Etta/Diana relationship in only two issues is the best it's been in years.

    Nubia is also great.

    I haven't read Wonder Girl - I'm waiting on the trade - but the reviews have been consistently good.

    I also liked the Artemis backup.

    However, none of these show any great "feats," but they do a wonderful amount of world and relationship building.
    I haven't read the latest arc, but this image maker and making copies that are supposed to be of Wondy and being beaten by a bullet for instance, doesn't give me hope that they do the great feat scenes well.

    But, I haven't read the issues so I have inadequate data to say much more. I haven't seen anyone post it on the comic scans site so I don't have that much to go on.

    Relationship building is fine, but unless they respect her powers and what she should be able to do, then these arcs don't hold much for me. If they got rid of Steve, that would be a good start, though.

  13. #1768
    Beyond Good. Beyond Evil. Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Occupied Klendathu
    Posts
    9,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    The Enki people seem interesting enough, but I'm not into the plot point "got displaced by the Amazons".



    Yeah, there was something off while she fought the robbers that made me think she was one of the Mirror Wonder Women for a second. Maybe sth happens at the end of the current arc that has Diana up in arms? I thought her more aggressive stance made perfect sense when she confronted Altuum, though. He was being a real creep.
    I'm not so hot on that plot point either, he's clearly a villain so I'm hoping that there's more to the story here.

  14. #1769
    Fantastic Member HestiasHearth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Themyscira
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    I love how all these covers seem to ephasize her connection/link to the animal kingdom. LOVE it!!!

  15. #1770
    Incredible Member Sebastianne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I love how all these covers seem to ephasize her connection/link to the animal kingdom. LOVE it!!!
    Yeah! And it seems from the poses and animals that each cover is replicating beauty, strength, speed and... wisdom? I have doubts with the last except for the owls, but the poses of the first three are so obvious.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •