Page 121 of 258 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171221 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 3858

I think it's because Wonder Woman had her be alive from WW1. So they did that with the comics

I think people are underestimating the power of grass roots movement. If Diana existed in the 40's and she was teaching women to stand up for themselves, those women would go on to inspire other women who in turn will inspire others. There is no way social revolution would have unfolded exactly as it did in our world if Diana had been around. By 2021, society would be a very different place had Diana been around. Of course there would still be conflict but it would still be a different, almost unrecognizable society.

There is also something exceedingly cynical about Diana; a product of an entirely female society, powered by the Goddesses, armed with all her wisdom and power and desire to help even the most ordinary people improve their lives, failing to have any effect on the world. It also goes against the core reasoning for Marston creating the character which is to have a heroine who embodies love and compassion and those traits to not be depicted as weak.

Realistic, if you had a flying, beautiful, charismatic, woman who hailed from a Paradise island, the entirety of Earth’s population would have clung onto every sentence she uttered and written texts of her philosophies like she was a prophet. (Especially during the early 20th century)

History would have change drastically. Within a year, women’s rights would have dominated global politics, along with anything else she chose to critique.

I mean, humans deify ordinary humans thought history. What do you think they would do when an actual godlike being shows up? Diana would be Joan of Arc times a million and all of Earth would be France. (I’m generalizing Joan of Arc’s history, but y’all know what I mean)

I don’t think that should be mainstream DC’s reaction to Wonder Woman since it would get messy fast, but I don’t by this “realistically, most people would ignore her because she’s a woman”. Even the most contrived, sexist bigot would snap to attention if person as powerful and charismatic as Diana came knocking.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 12-05-2021 at 06:55 PM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Realistic, if you had a flying, beautiful, charismatic, woman who hailed from a Paradise island, the entirety of Earth’s population would have clung onto every sentence she uttered and written texts of her philosophies like she was a prophet. (Especially during the early 20th century)

History would have change drastically. Within a year, women’s rights would have dominated global politics, along with anything else she chose to critique.

I mean, humans deify ordinary humans thought history. What do you think they would do when an actual godlike being shows up? Diana would be Joan of Arc times a million and all of Earth would be France. (I’m generalizing Joan of Arc’s history, but y’all know what I mean)

I don’t think that should be mainstream DC’s reaction to Wonder Woman since it would get messy fast, but I don’t by this “realistically, most people would ignore her because she’s a woman”. Even the most contrived, sexist bigot would snap to attention if person as powerful and charismatic as Diana came knocking.
    Joan of Arc was burned at the stake. Gandhi was assassinated. MLK Jr. was assassinated. The real Princess Diana was also seen as a controversial figure in her own right including the charities and organizations she heralded. And Jesus - if you believe - was crucified.

God help me, but I actually think if there was a real Wonder Woman that the reaction would be more akin to how people reacted to Superman in Batman v. Superman. She would become a highly politicized figure - through no fault of her own. If Wonder Woman championed things like bodily autonomy - you know what I'm strongly hinting at here - a large contingent of the public would not love and celebrate her. Let alone how corporations would spend hundreds of millions of dollars on P.R. smear campaigns if Wonder Woman dared advocate for unions and a reevaluation of worker's rights. Forget Cheetah, Ares, or Circe. Amazon would be Wonder Woman's arch-nemesis, and since Amazon employs millions of people with jobs in the U.S., I'm not certain Wonder Woman would win that war. And unfortunately, I can see certain women's and family values groups being a part of that vocal group demanding that Wonder Woman abandon her mission and man's world.

Anyway, I'll agree to disagree as I'm certain we're not on topic anymore.

Or how Diana's very existence proves the existence of not only deities, but deities from a religion people stopped worshipping for a over a millennia.

Again, this is just DC wanting it's cake and eating too in that WW's the "first hero" but nothing about it apparently has any meaningful impact on the larger DC Universe for almost a century in-universe. So what's the even the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Or how Diana's very existence proves the existence of not only deities, but deities from a religion people stopped worshipping for a over a millennia.

Again, this is just DC wanting it's cake and eating too in that WW's the "first hero" but nothing about it apparently has any meaningful impact on the larger DC Universe for almost a century in-universe. So what's the even the point?
    I remember Rucka in his first run actually doing something with that, since Diana's religion would cause a big upheaval across...well...the whole planet.

He was very subdue with it though, which is probably for the best.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

I remember Rucka in his first run actually doing something with that, since Diana's religion would cause a big upheaval across...well...the whole planet.

There’s no way an Earth that has concrete proof that every deity in history are all actually real would look anything like our own. Neither would an Earth that has proof that intelligent life similar to our own exists in the universe elsewhere that Superman’s existence would provide. You sacrifice “realism” to maintain the “world outside your window” aesthetic.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Yeah, Perez also touched on also when a cult to Diana spouted up on one of Circe's former islands.

Or when he had Hermes going around doing miracles in Boston.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

Mirror Master? Did the letterer make a mistake? His name is the Image Maker.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Have they actually revealed outside of the solicits that its really Image-Maker? Could be a fake out. Especially given how Image-Makers powers work.

"Mirror Master" sounds more comicbooky, "Image Maker" sounds like the public relations firm you'd call to raise your Q Score or burnish your brand.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    Joan of Arc was burned at the stake. Gandhi was assassinated. MLK Jr. was assassinated. The real Princess Diana was also seen as a controversial figure in her own right including the charities and organizations she heralded. And Jesus - if you believe - was crucified.

God help me, but I actually think if there was a real Wonder Woman that the reaction would be more akin to how people reacted to Superman in Batman v. Superman. She would become a highly politicized figure - through no fault of her own. If Wonder Woman championed things like bodily autonomy - you know what I'm strongly hinting at here - a large contingent of the public would not love and celebrate her. Let alone how corporations would spend hundreds of millions of dollars on P.R. smear campaigns if Wonder Woman dared advocate for unions and a reevaluation of worker's rights. Forget Cheetah, Ares, or Circe. Amazon would be Wonder Woman's arch-nemesis, and since Amazon employs millions of people with jobs in the U.S., I'm not certain Wonder Woman would win that war. And unfortunately, I can see certain women's and family values groups being a part of that vocal group demanding that Wonder Woman abandon her mission and man's world.

Anyway, I'll agree to disagree as I'm certain we're not on topic anymore.
    Yeah I think people are underestimating the power of patriarchy. Society is the way that it is because the people in control like it that way. Sure they'll allow the pendulum to swing a little bit for the illusion of progress, but fundamentally nothing really changes. Look at mass shootings and gun control for instance.

It's only natural for Mirror Master to sound comicbooky, he's a Flash villain...

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    It's only natural for Mirror Master to sound comicbooky, he's a Flash villain...
    Really? I don't read Flash, there are too many of them, their powers don't interest me and I resent how they've treated Wally (the one I grew up with).