Page 186 of 192 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 2870
  1. #2776
    Spectacular Member bardkeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    One good story does not make a good run. She took over the book when sales were extremely high thanks to Heinberg and to a lesser extent Picoult. After the Circle sales started to fall drastically until eventually she was fired after dividing the fan base and losing fifty percent of readers.
    I was not aware that all of DC was rebooted for the new 52 because the notoriously top-selling smash hit Wonder Woman ongoing was dividing the fanbase. Also Allan Heinberg's run started with a new #1, Jodi Picoult is a very famous author, and sales always start high when a new writer takes over and decline over time.

    All that aside, anecdotally Gail is easily the 3rd most popular Post-Crisis WW writer I see cited after Perez and Rucka, at least in hindsight. But again, if it's not your cup of tea more power to you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Yeah, cause every day someone here is clamoring for the return of the Gorilla Knights.
    This but unironically. The scene where they bring briefcases to Diana's meeting with Hollywood execs only to reveal that they're full of newspapers and rotten fruit is still one of the funniest things I've ever read in a comic

  2. #2777
    Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I liked the Gorilla Knights.

    If you didn't like the run that's fine, there's stuff I didn't like in it either, but something being financially successful shouldn't be a sole indicator if something is considered good or allowed to like. Yara's book outsold Diana's but that book was largely a snoozefest to me.

    Batman regularly tops the comic charts but let's not pretend every Batman story that comes out is DKR.
    In Diana's defense, Yara was pushed to the extreme and it started of course with a #1 issue. We know how that turned out with her series apparently being cancelled before it even started.

    Of course, even with most posters on this board thinking that Cloonrad is doing an amazing job, the book still ranks at about 100 or less in sales. Not very good for a so called member of the Trinity.

  3. #2778
    Astonishing Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I liked the Gorilla Knights.

    If you didn't like the run that's fine, there's stuff I didn't like in it either, but something being financially successful shouldn't be a sole indicator if something is considered good or allowed to like. Yara's book outsold Diana's but that book was largely a snoozefest to me.

    Batman regularly tops the comic charts but let's not pretend every Batman story that comes out is DKR.
    I agree finacial success doesn't equate to critical success or overall enjoyment, there are plenty of hidden gems that go unnoticed, but Gail Simone's run wasn't a gem, it was a rock, that sank.

    This is why I usually let it slide when you all try to reframe the run as good even though it wasn't. I don't want to get involved in a big, long, back and forth where I have to battle the whole board. It just irks me how soon people forget and look back on it through rose colored glasses, when that wasn't the consensus at all 10 years ago.

    People want to make it out to be fire and music when what it really was was a few sparkles and an old kazoo.

  4. #2779
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,003

    Default

    Wonder Woman #790 Preview
    Writers: Becky Cloonan and Michael W. Conrad
    Artists: Emanuela Lupacchino, Jose Luis and Eduardo Pansica
    Backup Writer: Jordie Bellaire
    Backup Artist: Paulina Ganucheau


  5. #2780
    Astonishing Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    I was not aware that all of DC was rebooted for the new 52 because the notoriously top-selling smash hit Wonder Woman ongoing was dividing the fanbase. Also Allan Heinberg's run started with a new #1, Jodi Picoult is a very famous author, and sales always start high when a new writer takes over and decline over time.

    All that aside, anecdotally Gail is easily the 3rd most popular Post-Crisis WW writer I see cited after Perez and Rucka, at least in hindsight. But again, if it's not your cup of tea more power to you!



    This but unironically. The scene where they bring briefcases to Diana's meeting with Hollywood execs only to reveal that they're full of newspapers and rotten fruit is still one of the funniest things I've ever read in a comic
    Quoted from another poster in this forum that sums up my feelings on it...


    "01-25-2015, 10:06 PM #34

    Very frustrating run with lots of hype in the stories but very little payoff. Stories just petered out or had incredibly unsatisfying outcomes.

    The Circle—Alkyone tells the other guards to kill Diana if they can, but when they have her cornered and unconscious, they take off to higher ground, for some reason. They want to force Diana to cross a bridge on the threat of killing Hippolyte—which we all know they have sworn against. It doesn’t make sense.

    Ends of the Earth—Diana defeats the Devil—literally, the Devil- with the invisible jet? Wtf?

    Queen of Fables—Diana defeats her—an incredibly powerful sorceress who can bend reality—simply by grabbing her? I thought I was missing a page the first time I read it.

    Genocide arc—Diana cannot defeat her, then suddenly she can. Cheetah surrenders when Diana threatens to cut her tail off, even though Diana has ripped it off it the past. Diana “defeats” Ares by hitting him in the head with an axe (she did the same in the animated movie), and then Ares appears a few issue later, just as powerful as ever. Genocide gets away, after which Diana and Canary trace her to Tokyo—hopefully for a resolution—but they don’t find her, and the search is dropped.

    Diana defeats the children of Ares—you’d think they’d be incredibly powerful—by threatening to spank them.

    Warkiller was so boring I can barely remember the story.

    Add to that all the crap added to the mythos—the ichor, the space alien gods, the golden arches bringing the Amazons home in the worst deus ex machina way ever, the Hawaiian god stuff, the lighting bracelets, the giant clam shell, the giant sharks, the male Amazons and their Son of Vulcan/the Olympian rip-off leader, and everything else I can’t remember right now.

    Plus the weirdo Diana who screwed around with Tom (suggesting they take a shower? Wtf?) and her feelings of strangeness around supposed friends like Etta and Black Canary. The only supporting cast she felt at home with was her apes.

    And the way she spoke. God. So mannered and ironic. She seemed like a theater person, not a warm and approachable person."

  6. #2781
    Astonishing Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Wonder Woman #790 Preview
    Writers: Becky Cloonan and Michael W. Conrad
    Artists: Emanuela Lupacchino, Jose Luis and Eduardo Pansica
    Backup Writer: Jordie Bellaire
    Backup Artist: Paulina Ganucheau

    I like seeing Etta in her Golden Age function of being bad ass!

  7. #2782
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    89,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Wonder Woman #790 Preview
    Writers: Becky Cloonan and Michael W. Conrad
    Artists: Emanuela Lupacchino, Jose Luis and Eduardo Pansica
    Backup Writer: Jordie Bellaire
    Backup Artist: Paulina Ganucheau

    Etta being awesome .

  8. #2783
    Incredible Member Sebastianne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Sensational Etta Candy

  9. #2784
    Beyond Good. Beyond Evil. Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Occupied Klendathu
    Posts
    10,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I agree finacial success doesn't equate to critical success or overall enjoyment, there are plenty of hidden gems that go unnoticed, but Gail Simone's run wasn't a gem, it was a rock, that sank.

    This is why I usually let it slide when you all try to reframe the run as good even though it wasn't. I don't want to get involved in a big, long, back and forth where I have to battle the whole board. It just irks me how soon people forget and look back on it through rose colored glasses, when that wasn't the consensus at all 10 years ago.

    People want to make it out to be fire and music when what it really was was a few sparkles and an old kazoo.
    I read through Simone's run two years ago, no tinted glasses on my end since I wasn't reading comics in the 00s.

  10. #2785
    Mighty Member mystical41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    1,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    In Diana's defense, Yara was pushed to the extreme and it started of course with a #1 issue. We know how that turned out with her series apparently being cancelled before it even started.

    Of course, even with most posters on this board thinking that Cloonrad is doing an amazing job, the book still ranks at about 100 or less in sales. Not very good for a so called member of the Trinity.
    Honestly. There is no such thing as a trinity. Superman has been selling in the same range as WW for a while now.

  11. #2786
    Astonishing Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I read through Simone's run two years ago, no tinted glasses on my end since I wasn't reading comics in the 00s.
    We know you're young and optimistic Gaius that's why we like you. Did you "read through it" or did you read the whole thing? Start at the beginning and you'll see things begin to shift after the nonsensical Green Lantern story. If you go in order the pacing problems become apparent and I promise you'll get sleepy during the never ending arc that was Rise of the Olympian.

  12. #2787
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SouthEast Tennessee
    Posts
    3,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    One good story does not make a good run. She took over the book when sales were extremely high thanks to Heinberg and to a lesser extent Picoult. After the Circle sales started to fall drastically until eventually she was fired after dividing the fan base and losing fifty percent of readers.
    As long as we are wanting to get things "straight" let's remember that Gail wasn't dropped because of sales. She was dropped for JMS' alternative universe/reboot thing he was trying to do (and subsequently left after a handful of issues.) Also, Jodi Picult was not selling gangbusters either. She was plagued with severe criticism at the time for bad dialogue, characterization (and an interview in which she admitted to not knowing anything about the character and having to rely on her teenage son for information and took the gig because she wanted him to think she was cool.)
    Likewise, Gail has commented on more than a few occasions how her run was plagued with editorial interference and ridiculous restrictions (not being able to use anything from Rucka's run specifically.)
    Just because we dont want to rose tint anything doesn't mean we need to call it all garbage simply because you say so.

  13. #2788
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    14,357

    Default

    Simone's run is pretty solid. It's far better than most of the crap we have gotten since. Rucka 2.0 and Cloonrad are the only things as good/better.

    Post Crisis wise, she's still better than everyone other than Perez, Rucka and Jimenez

  14. #2789
    Beyond Good. Beyond Evil. Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Occupied Klendathu
    Posts
    10,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    We know you're young and optimistic Gaius that's why we like you. Did you "read through it" or did you read the whole thing? Start at the beginning and you'll see things begin to shift after the nonsensical Green Lantern story. If you go in order the pacing problems become apparent and I promise you'll get sleepy during the never ending arc that was Rise of the Olympian.
    The Genocide arc was, yes, a slog when I went through the omnibus but The Circle, the GL storyline, Hollywood arc (even though I don't care for Queen of Fables), and the team-ups with Black Canary and Powergirl were all good reads.

    Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    As long as we are wanting to get things "straight" let's remember that Gail wasn't dropped because of sales. She was dropped for JMS' alternative universe/reboot thing he was trying to do (and subsequently left after a handful of issues.) Also, Jodi Picult was not selling gangbusters either. She was plagued with severe criticism at the time for bad dialogue, characterization (and an interview in which she admitted to not knowing anything about the character and having to rely on her teenage son for information and took the gig because she wanted him to think she was cool.)
    Likewise, Gail has commented on more than a few occasions how her run was plagued with editorial interference and ridiculous restrictions (not being able to use anything from Rucka's run specifically.)
    Just because we dont want to rose tint anything doesn't mean we need to call it all garbage simply because you say so.
    Yeah, read up about that. I know Simone wanted to use Cale but she asked Rucka and he said no as I believe had plans for something else before he and Didio burned bridges.
    Last edited by Gaius; 08-05-2022 at 08:11 PM.

  15. #2790
    Astonishing Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    As long as we are wanting to get things "straight" let's remember that Gail wasn't dropped because of sales. She was dropped for JMS' alternative universe/reboot thing he was trying to do (and subsequently left after a handful of issues.) Also, Jodi Picult was not selling gangbusters either. She was plagued with severe criticism at the time for bad dialogue, characterization (and an interview in which she admitted to not knowing anything about the character and having to rely on her teenage son for information and took the gig because she wanted him to think she was cool.)
    Likewise, Gail has commented on more than a few occasions how her run was plagued with editorial interference and ridiculous restrictions (not being able to use anything from Rucka's run specifically.)
    Just because we dont want to rose tint anything doesn't mean we need to call it all garbage simply because you say so.
    Please let's not act like I'm the only one.

    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...nder-Woman-run


    It's true a lot of people like the run but it's also true that a lot of people don't. Personally I can't forgive Artemis, Hippolyta and Diana acting wildly out of character, Diana using Tom to get pregnant while pretending to love him and convoluted stuff like Genocide being cobbled together from Wonder Woman's corpse, also the tone, the pacing and the story beats, but if you like it it's perfectly fine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •