Page 56 of 258 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast

So...anyone looking forward to tomorrow’s issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Very! Hoping Gundra shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    I've come to understand that the consistent and persistent depowering of Wonder Woman in the various media forms is linked directly to the idea that the concept of "superheroes" is rooted in male power fantasy. In particular, patriarchal male power fantasy--in which maleness is always seen as dominant in every respect: physical strength, intellectual acuity, leadership, political strategy, athletic ability, combat prowess, etc.

This fantasy is inextricably tied to an unhealthy dose of misogyny and sexism (not to mention anti-queer/anti-trans bigotry).

I can't remember the last time I read a comic book or saw a movie/TV show featuring Wonder Woman where she wasn't depowered strength-wise so as not to make, say, Superman look "weak" by patriarchal standards; where her wisdom of Athena wasn't erased so that say, Batman could have all the answers and all the strategy and all the solutions, leaving Wonder Woman to be either chastised for being too brutish in her approach or mansplained to because she was depicted as insufferably, unbelievably naïve and unknowledgeable (irrespective of how long she's been in operation). All of this is the creators of such media talking directly to who they believe is their base: men who would be intimidated or feel emasculated by a woman's excellence, by her perceived ability to outfight or out think or outshine a man.

Here you have an immortal Amazon, blessed with gifts by goddesses, who has been alive for over 3,000 years; and all that time, she has been learning and training and perfecting her gifts such that she (and Nubia) is the best of her people--people who, by the way, are themselves extraordinary. She comes to Patriarch's World during World War I or World War II (depending on the source material), and has thus been operating as a superhero and diplomat for somewhere between 82 and 107 years, and with all of that experience under her belt, she is *still* written into situations with the bold, if unspoken, assumption/assertion that even those with significantly less experience, power, and skill are her superiors (especially if they are men).

Dr. Marston predicted that this would be Wonder Woman's fate if left to other hands and other minds; that, in the end, "blood-curdling masculinity" would win out and any attempt to have Wonder Woman actually challenge the patriarchal status quo, to have her actually be better than her male compatriots (which, if she were a man, most would accept this as "normal") would be met with fear, anger, and resentment, followed by attempts to "put her in her place" by any means necessary.

Also: It doesn't strike anyone as odd AF that Diana's female friendships have all but disappeared and her relationships to the women and girls in her family are relatively nonexistent? That isolation strategy is one of the telltale signs of a patriarchal agenda and a patriarchal imagination (irrespective of the gender of the person who holds it). Gail Simone already let us know that there was an actual agenda, too.

I've been terribly displeased with Wonder Woman media for a very long time (I find my woman empowerment media elsewhere--y'all should read FAR SECTOR). We won't get to see a lot of Diana in Kelly Sue DeConnick and Phil Jimenez's HISTORIA, but I do know that what we do see will be devoid of those terrible features (patriarchy and the male gaze).
    You stated the main reason I dislike Diana being thousands of years old. She comes off less than capable.

Heck Yeah With Bells On! It's coming out way too infrequently for me. It slows the momentum but it's going to be an Amazing trade.

YES!

Valkyries!

In the preview one of them mentioned the Valkyries having fought against and alongside the Amazons. I would love to know more!

This week is also when Heroes Reborn 6 is going to be released. This issue is centered around Power Princess. I wasn't enjoying Aaron's Avengers at all, but Heroes Reborn has been somewhat interesting in that every single character is taken to their extremes in terms of action scenes. It could be interesting to see what Aaron's idea of an extreme Wonder Woman is like.

I sometimes feel like Diana would be better served at Marvel in the sense that her stories could actually be transgressive. Heroes Reborn certainly won't be about that though.

But yeah, excited for the brand new Cloonrad issue. We will probably get some kind of major surprise this issue, or a major plot development. Although to be fair, that has been true of every issue until now. Their pacing is so on point. Constantly moving forward while still giving us all that we need to enjoy the setting and the characters.

They also had another tease of ratatowski with that line where Diana says that everyone is wrong about him being a trikster. If he does turn out to be Loki, I wonder why he still appears as a rat on the cover of #778
    Last edited by Alpha; 06-07-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Meeeeee!!!!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm still behind but I'd be excited for the art alone. This whole run so far sounds pretty fun and I can't wait to dive in once I get to it in my backlog. It's rare I see a WW book get this much support on these boards so it bodes well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm still behind but I'd be excited for the art alone. This whole run so far sounds pretty fun and I can't wait to dive in once I get to it in my backlog. It's rare I see a WW book get this much support on these boards so it bodes well.
    The art is absolutely outstanding. The WONDER WOMAN title has had some remarkable artists throughout the years: George Perez, Phil Jimenez, Nicola Scott, Cliff Chiang, and now Travis Moore.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Fantastic Member

Anyone enjoy Wonder Woman's viking outfit?

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    You stated the main reason I dislike Diana being thousands of years old. She comes off less than capable.
    I feel like if she’s that old she needs to be the most experience. Especially against batman. Living in man’s world since the first war she should’ve taken up dectective as a hobby or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    Anyone enjoy Wonder Woman's viking outfit?
    I am! Princess needs wardrobe for all occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    First of all, SINCE WHEN IS DIANA 3000 YEARS OLD IN COMICS. You guys keep bringing this stuff up but I don't remember ever seeing in anynplace except in interviews with Zack Snyder.
    I cringed so hard when Aquaman said she's 50 000 years old in the Snyder Cut. Firstly, why such an astronomical number? Secondly, if she's so old then why is she such a jobber? Thirdly, how the hell does a 50 000 year old woman not know what marriage is?!

I sure we won't see stuff like this in the current run or in any run ever.

...Dr. Marston predicted that this would be Wonder Woman's fate if left to other hands and other minds; that, in the end, "blood-curdling masculinity" would win out and any attempt to have Wonder Woman actually challenge the patriarchal status quo, to have her actually be better than her male compatriots (which, if she were a man, most would accept this as "normal") would be met with fear, anger, and resentment, followed by attempts to "put her in her place" by any means necessary.

Also: It doesn't strike anyone as odd AF that Diana's female friendships have all but disappeared and her relationships to the women and girls in her family are relatively nonexistent? That isolation strategy is one of the telltale signs of a patriarchal agenda and a patriarchal imagination (irrespective of the gender of the person who holds it). Gail Simone already let us know that there was an actual agenda, too...
    Boys on the side...

I've been rallying for a Wonder Woman comic, with the friendship betwixt Diana, Etta and Mala, at the center of the on-going narrative, ..and Diana's deepening, fluctuating attraction to Steve Trevor poking its head in, once in a while. It would require ending Steve and Diana's (and in that order) paperless, low-stakes instant-marriage and moving Mala to Man's World, permanently, in an Alfredish role; so that, no matter, what any given writer changes, there's an important character in the comic, who keeps Diana's mythical background, out front ..and in play!

I'm really not worried about the thing, with Steve. I think, if we can get a writer, who puts a bullet through the Steve-is-Diana's-Lois idea, that would be progressive. Steve's role in the on-going narrative, and what we expect from him, needs to change. I imagine Diana sharing her adventures, with a select circle of loyalists - royals have loyalists - each, with special skills/abilities, ..and I imagine Steve, in addition to being Diana's confidant and friend, being the star of this circle. He not in every adventure, ..and a clever writer could turn that into something to look forward to.

WW writers keep shoveling more Styana, at us - even Patty Jenkins - and we just don't bloody care. There isn't enough crackling there to ignite the classic love story you have between Lois and Big Blue ..or Batman and Catwoman. There's no uncertainty or danger or heat, between them, and seeing writers force it, just makes me wish some writer would give that sort of panel-time to building the Etta-Diana dynamic. How could that hurt?

I'll always believe that the one, game-changing thing, which Jenkins's movie was missing was Gal's comedic friendship, with a Rebel Wilsonesque Etta [Rebel, herself, might have been too much!], instead of the chub-slaying non-romance, between Steve and Diana, ..which never achieves fusion! When is someone going to believe in the power and magic of sisterhood? When some genius sandwiches Diana between two women, Mala and Etta, who represent the most dynamic and entertaining aspects of her character, with fully-formed Steve (dark secrets, dramatic motivation, etc) along for the ride (sometimes), ..you will see a second golden age for this comic, unrivaled, since the Fab Forties!

Boys on the side, for WW!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-08-2021 at 01:47 AM. Reason: clarity, content
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I've come to understand that the consistent and persistent depowering of Wonder Woman in the various media forms is linked directly to the idea that the concept of "superheroes" is rooted in male power fantasy. In particular, patriarchal male power fantasy--in which maleness is always seen as dominant in every respect: physical strength, intellectual acuity, leadership, political strategy, athletic ability, combat prowess, etc.

This fantasy is inextricably tied to an unhealthy dose of misogyny and sexism (not to mention anti-queer/anti-trans bigotry).

I can't remember the last time I read a comic book or saw a movie/TV show featuring Wonder Woman where she wasn't depowered strength-wise so as not to make, say, Superman look "weak" by patriarchal standards; where her wisdom of Athena wasn't erased so that say, Batman could have all the answers and all the strategy and all the solutions, leaving Wonder Woman to be either chastised for being too brutish in her approach or mansplained to because she was depicted as insufferably, unbelievably naïve and unknowledgeable (irrespective of how long she's been in operation). All of this is the creators of such media talking directly to who they believe is their base: men who would be intimidated or feel emasculated by a woman's excellence, by her perceived ability to outfight or out think or outshine a man.

Here you have an immortal Amazon, blessed with gifts by goddesses, who has been alive for over 3,000 years; and all that time, she has been learning and training and perfecting her gifts such that she (and Nubia) is the best of her people--people who, by the way, are themselves extraordinary. She comes to Patriarch's World during World War I or World War II (depending on the source material), and has thus been operating as a superhero and diplomat for somewhere between 82 and 107 years, and with all of that experience under her belt, she is *still* written into situations with the bold, if unspoken, assumption/assertion that even those with significantly less experience, power, and skill are her superiors (especially if they are men).

Dr. Marston predicted that this would be Wonder Woman's fate if left to other hands and other minds; that, in the end, "blood-curdling masculinity" would win out and any attempt to have Wonder Woman actually challenge the patriarchal status quo, to have her actually be better than her male compatriots (which, if she were a man, most would accept this as "normal") would be met with fear, anger, and resentment, followed by attempts to "put her in her place" by any means necessary.

Also: It doesn't strike anyone as odd AF that Diana's female friendships have all but disappeared and her relationships to the women and girls in her family are relatively nonexistent? That isolation strategy is one of the telltale signs of a patriarchal agenda and a patriarchal imagination (irrespective of the gender of the person who holds it). Gail Simone already let us know that there was an actual agenda, too.

I've been terribly displeased with Wonder Woman media for a very long time (I find my woman empowerment media elsewhere--y'all should read FAR SECTOR). We won't get to see a lot of Diana in Kelly Sue DeConnick and Phil Jimenez's HISTORIA, but I do know that what we do see will be devoid of those terrible features (patriarchy and the male gaze).
    I agree wholeheartedly with everything you say. Whats sad is the lack of any real outrage and a lot of that is due to how so few people know what WW was about and they reduce Dr Marston to a mere fetishist when there was so much more to his writing. Making Zeus her father and the creators of Themysicra instead of the Goddesses, focusing on Steve/Diana to the point where her female friendships were ignored and even casting an actress who is clueless and sympathetic to an apartheid all goes against WW's character and what she's supposed to be. I enjoyed Rucka's Rebirth on the first read but looking back, there was too much Steve Trevor to the exemption of all her other relationship. Perez did a much better job of making Diana's female relationships the backbone of his run.