Page 250 of 258 FirstFirst ... 150200240246247248249250251252253254 ... LastLast
Results 3,736 to 3,750 of 3858
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Gotta love how this team made the same approach as gww. Writing Diana as a loser that needs somewbody else's powers to fight a God. Because apparently her own so called ''Godly'' powers aren't good enough on their own to get the job done. I am glad this team is leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Had he stuck on the book longer, I wonder if he would have brought her back and highlighted more similarities between her and Cyber. I also would have loved if he brought back the other old Villainy Inc members.

Another idea for Cyber I've been kicking around, if we ever get another take that skews towards pre-Crisis (either in animation or an outside continuity comic): maybe Paula von Gunther's old slave/sidekick-turned-enemy Mavis could be Dr. Cyber? Veronica Cale now has elements of Paula folded into her, with her own friend now being Dr. Cyber. I'd like to see if they could reverse it in a new classic take on the WW-verse.
    I wonder the same thing.

I’m all for having Doctor Cyber make a return, but not necessarily the disembodied Leslie Anderson AI version. I have a fondness for the Bronze Age leader of a cabal/espionage version through a superhero lens. I’d prefer her return as a way to incorporate aspects of another era of Wonder Woman into the current one.

Mavis is a fun idea.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 04-19-2023 at 10:41 AM.

This event is honestly making Trial of the Amazons look focused and inspired by comparison. None of it makes any sense and all of it is pointless. It's probably the dullest, tropiest take on the gods we've ever gotten from a WW book and making Hera a generic, moustache-twirling villain goes against everything WW is about. Supporting cast has had nothing to do (why were Yara and Ares even brought into the fold?) and even though it's supposedly this huge, world-altering event the stakes feel nonexistent.

The most mystifying choice of all may be Cheetah becoming a good guy again. That should be a HUUUUGE deal for both Diana and the entire story but she's just...there, with no fanfare at all. It's like reforming Two-Face in one issue and having him join the Batfam without any explanation or consideration.

Also very annoying to see that they're seemingly allowed to cherrypick elements of canon (specifically they referenced Diana having her powers from birth plus we got Cassie's Wonder Girl gear) but we're still stuck with Daddy Zeus...

Ah well, this will be totally forgotten in a few months when Tom King picks up the book and ignores all of it so it doesn't really matter anyway. At least Mary Marvel and Diana bonding in the backup was cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I'm confused, didn't Hera turn Diana into a goddess a few issues ago? But in this issue they say that the Shazam power up turned her into one. Or was she a discount goddess before and now she's a proper one?
    Hera turning Diana into a goddess turned out to be a trick, but the events of this issue still made no sense. Like, presumably the Shazam powers are stacked onto her regular powers, but why does that make her a goddess when she wasn't one before? She'd just have the same powers but amped up, I don't know why that would fundamentally change what she is.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    This event is honestly making Trial of the Amazons look focused and inspired by comparison. None of it makes any sense and all of it is pointless. It's probably the dullest, tropiest take on the gods we've ever gotten from a WW book and making Hera a generic, moustache-twirling villain goes against everything WW is about. Supporting cast has had nothing to do (why were Yara and Ares even brought into the fold?) and even though it's supposedly this huge, world-altering event the stakes feel nonexistent.

The most mystifying choice of all may be Cheetah becoming a good guy again. That should be a HUUUUGE deal for both Diana and the entire story but she's just...there, with no fanfare at all. It's like reforming Two-Face in one issue and having him join the Batfam without any explanation or consideration.

Also very annoying to see that they're seemingly allowed to cherrypick elements of canon (specifically they referenced Diana having her powers from birth plus we got Cassie's Wonder Girl gear) but we're still stuck with Daddy Zeus...

Ah well, this will be totally forgotten in a few months when Tom King picks up the book and ignores all of it so it doesn't really matter anyway. At least Mary Marvel and Diana bonding in the backup was cute.

Hera turning Diana into a goddess turned out to be a trick, but the events of this issue still made no sense. Like, presumably the Shazam powers are stacked onto her regular powers, but why does that make her a goddess when she wasn't one before? She'd just have the same powers but amped up, I don't know why that would fundamentally change what she is.
    I will be shocked if Cheetah isn't back to being a villain again with similar lack of fanfare come King's run.

Sooooooooooo Hera is in vengeful shrew mode for infinijillionth time? Oh well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

Yeah, I screamed out loud. This is the type of crap I abhor in DC comics at large, and in the WW book even more so. Why do writers get so hung up on Diana's humanity?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

At least the costume is nice to stare at.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

Who wrote this backup?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

This whole story just has next to meat to it. They've done a poor job of making us want to even like Hera. Everything she talked about in this issue, we should've seen a nice good lead up to but we didnt. We were introduced to this version as a villain from the get go.

It is funny that demigoddess Diana seems to be weaker than Clay-blessed by the gods Diana. Pre-52 she's taken on bigger threats that didn't need her becoming a "goddess" through Shazam (so I guess they are always Gods technically Even though they are only "share" the power? And how does one call upon the power of Zeus if he's dead?)

Mary Marvel seemed more like a Wonder Girl in this issue than they've had Yara be. Or Cassie since New52 even.

But I really want this costume to stay but with all the WW parts and maybe in her traditional colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Who wrote this backup?
    Seems to be Josie Campbell.

...who's going to write Wonder Woman's Knight Terrors mini...

Fantastic Member

So many writers approach Wonder Woman from the vantage point of "How do we make Wonder Woman not a perfect Mary Sue stereotype?" and proceed to make befuddling decisions to "bring her down to Earth," "make her flawed," "make her more human."

There's an a priori assumption that there is something wrong with the Wonder Woman concept and people have spent decades trying to "fix" it--instead of just accepting that Wonder Woman is an inherently great person and maybe that, in itself, is both the flaw and the conflict. Because this inherently great person has to figure out a way to deal with a not-so-great world and help it evolve without doing more harm than good.

But this idea that Diana "doesn't know what it means to be human" is too imprecise. She might not know what it means to be mortal or even know what it was like to grow up in an unloving society; but if she can understand pain, loss, failure, hope, love, and triumph (all of which she has experienced), then she does know what it means to be human.

Amazons are human beings (or at least modeled after them), no? Just long-lived, extra-strong and extra-resilient ones, right? Or are they a completely different species of life altogether?

Yo, what the f* they did to Mary? Why?!
    She went from the being the main champion of Shazam last year to a Wonder Girl knockoff.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Yo, what the f* they did to Mary? Why?!
    She went from the being the main champion of Shazam last year to a Wonder Girl knockoff.
    Well, Waid will probably do better with her.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    This whole story just has next to meat to it. They've done a poor job of making us want to even like Hera. Everything she talked about in this issue, we should've seen a nice good lead up to but we didnt. We were introduced to this version as a villain from the get go.

It is funny that demigoddess Diana seems to be weaker than Clay-blessed by the gods Diana. Pre-52 she's taken on bigger threats that didn't need her becoming a "goddess" through Shazam (so I guess they are always Gods technically Even though they are only "share" the power? And how does one call upon the power of Zeus if he's dead?)

Mary Marvel seemed more like a Wonder Girl in this issue than they've had Yara be. Or Cassie since New52 even.

But I really want this costume to stay but with all the WW parts and maybe in her traditional colors.
    Was there ever any doubt? I think the whole catalogue from WW since 2011 proves she is weaker than pre flashpoint version.