Page 58 of 258 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

So I've finally gotten through Future State in my backlog (I'm SO behind, thanks life and other commitments) and I'm diving from Immortal Wonder Woman right into the current run since it's the same writing team.

But I gotta ask... Did they intend for Diana to sound like she had romantic feelings for Clark? I get the feeling they're not going SuperWonder but I can also totally see it with Diana hoping, selfishly, his last thoughts were of her.

If they weren't playing up the ship, that seems like a fumble and I'm gonna have to give them a yellow card.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    So I've finally gotten through Future State in my backlog (I'm SO behind, thanks life and other commitments) and I'm diving from Immortal Wonder Woman right into the current run since it's the same writing team.

But I gotta ask... Did they intend for Diana to sound like she had romantic feelings for Clark? I get the feeling they're not going SuperWonder but I can also totally see it with Diana hoping, selfishly, his last thoughts were of her.

If they weren't playing up the ship, that seems like a fumble and I'm gonna have to give them a yellow card.
    Lol, they said no they weren’t trying to ship them. They where just friends.

Personally, I didn’t read it like they where romantic.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 06-13-2021 at 04:19 AM.

I did read that way at first but they stated in some interviews they didn’t intend for it to be read as romantic, at least not anymore than her interaction with Batman was.

Cloonan actually joked she thought Diana’s interaction with The Spectre was more romantic than her scenes with Supes or Bats.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Lol, they said no they weren’t trying to ship them. They where just friends.

Personally, I didn’t read it like they where romantic.
    I wasn't until she revealed she kind of hoped his last thoughts were of her, and that colored everything else in hindsight. Before then I was thinking "he's one of her closest friends but I can see someone going romantic with-- uhh." By that point it felt a little more like a relationship writing fumble because in their last moments, people tend to think of direct family (parents, spouses, children) or lovers so it'd be weird if instead of Lois, Jon, his parents or something he thought of Diana unless, well...

Got through #770 last night. What a fun book it was! Diana just getting to cut loose in Asgard, the setup, Ratatoskr (I will never turn down squirrels appearing in any medium) and Siggy (oh, the indignation he had at her calling him that ) were all wonderful. Eager to dive into the next few after I've had a cup of coffee and shave.

I don't understand how anyone can't love the art in this book. It's outstanding! Solid opening salvo. Definitely can't wait to see what else is in store...

And on the subject of Siggy...

He's Steve done right. No insecurities, just a guy who is about himself and not a shred of toxic masculinity. He respects Diana, treats her as an equal and she is about it in a way that's refreshing. He also takes his shirt off and needs to be saved. He's literally just who Steve was intended to be, but functional. If they are trying to make a love triangle work, as someone who likes Steve and Diana a lot, Steve's got an uphill battle to climb in terms of me giving a damn compared to the dynamic we got in this issue.

I didn't even mind the amnesia subplot that generally makes me groan in solicits, and having Diana acclimate to her body not working as expected (with Siegfried lampshading it) is pretty great. They do a good job showcasing that it's not so much she's lost her skill but there were things she spent a lifetime letting slide because they didn't matter and suddenly they do. I imagine the equivalent is waking up in heaven and playing with a kid relative who may have passed on tragically too soon. They punch you in the leg playfully but it instead causes crippling pain. You didn't brace because why would you? Different rules now.

I'm glad they didn't have Diana automatically understand what's up, but I hope she's back up to speed next issue. She's too good a warrior to not learn that lesson by this point.

Oh, and the book is goddamn funny in the best way.

Been a long time since I enjoyed a Wonder Woman book like this. I have really high hopes for the next few.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I did read that way at first but they stated in some interviews they didn’t intend for it to be read as romantic, at least not anymore than her interaction with Batman was.

Cloonan actually joked she thought Diana’s interaction with The Spectre was more romantic than her scenes with Supes or Bats.
    Everyone involved are aces but that book was poorly suited to handle The Spectre. Bartel didn't really draw him as the terrifying, biblical entity he is-- he's just a guy in a cape-- and the writing portrayed him as such. Took me right out of the book. I don't think he's in anyone who worked on that book's wheelhouse, and that's fine. The Spectre is hard to write, and should probably spend most his time being silent and unnerving. He's more a judge than a person, unless she was appealing to the host but it wasn't made clear. Frankly, their Darkseid wasn't great either. Perhaps cosmic/crisis/biblical entities aren't their wheelhouse or they were simply finding their footing.

I enjoyed their take on Diana and Bartel's art was decadently good. Felt like I was cheating on a diet going over those pages, they were so lovely. I definitely want to see more of her work at DC.

If Immortal Wonder Woman was the warm-up to get the run we have now, money well spent and what flaws that book had are totally worth it.

But seriously, more Jen Bartel work at DC please.
    Last edited by Robanker; 06-13-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Based off their issues so far and interviews, I’m pretty confident how they’ll be using more of her rogues gallery.
    I hope not just her rogue gallery but her other family members. Like Donna and Cassie. I know Cassie made an appearance in Wonder Girl. Makes you wonder if there will be more than more Wonder Girl.

I agree that Siggy is Trevor done right and I like how they handle his "relationship" with Diana. But I would honestly prefer to just leave it where it is. If Diana is gonna have a long term romance, I want it to be weird and poetic. To me this has to be the standard for a Wonder Woman kiss.

WW kiss Artemis.jpg
    Last edited by Alpha; 06-13-2021 at 12:28 PM.

It's funny that the way they wrote Diana in Immortal Wonder Woman is so different from how they are writing her right now. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that she was facing the end of times, but that Diana was so serious and mournful.

Keep updating us on your impressions of each issue. My expectations were low coming into this so that's why I got so hyped. Interesting to know if it disapoints when you go into it with hype.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Of the three "Trinity Pairings" (Diana/Steve, Clark/Lois, Bruce/Selina), I think writers could write any of the couples as being down to swing and it making a certain degree of sense. But probably the most for Diana and Steve, mostly due to the Marston roots lol.

Meaning, I'd be totally down for Siggy joining in when she comes home to Steve. Live your best life Diana.

Diana/Steve/Artemis poly relationship or bust.

Everyone involved are aces but that book was poorly suited to handle The Spectre. Bartel didn't really draw him as the terrifying, biblical entity he is-- he's just a guy in a cape-- and the writing portrayed him as such. Took me right out of the book. I don't think he's in anyone who worked on that book's wheelhouse, and that's fine. The Spectre is hard to write, and should probably spend most his time being silent and unnerving. He's more a judge than a person, unless she was appealing to the host but it wasn't made clear. Frankly, their Darkseid wasn't great either. Perhaps cosmic/crisis/biblical entities aren't their wheelhouse or they were simply finding their footing.

I enjoyed their take on Diana and Bartel's art was decadently good. Felt like I was cheating on a diet going over those pages, they were so lovely. I definitely want to see more of her work at DC.

If Immortal Wonder Woman was the warm-up to get the run we have now, money well spent and what flaws that book had are totally worth it.

But seriously, more Jen Bartel work at DC please.
    IWW would have been better suited if it had more than two issues imo. There’s good ideas but it’s like trying to put all of DKR or All-Star into just one regular sized issue.

I agree, The Spectre is a character I have a specific look and voice for that only a few writers and artists have been able to do.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I hope not just her rogue gallery but her other family members. Like Donna and Cassie. I know Cassie made an appearance in Wonder Girl. Makes you wonder if there will be more than more Wonder Girl.
    They’ve said it’s likely most WW family characters have a good chance of showing up. It’s just a matter sometimes on if they’re being used for something else. Titans: Donna, YJ: Cassie, JL: Hippolyta, Bat-Books (God forbid): Artemis...

But I think it’s likely we’ll be seeing some of them once we get into the stuff after the current Afterworlds arc.

Alright, so I'm in for the long haul on this run. It kept a good pace and stayed a fun read throughout. Y'all were right.

Diana slapping Thor around and breaking fake Mjolnir was pretty awesome.

Of course Gundra and Thor are dancing together in Valhalla after arguing so much. Of course. lol

Greatly appreciate Diana actually being allowed to have a fling for once instead of the long, drawn out virginal romances she tended to have forever. Good for you, Di. Hope this isn't the last we see of Siggy.

If I had any particular critique, Psycho's situation felt a bit tacked on and almost unnecessary. Nevertheless, easily the best opening salvo I've seen in a Wonder Woman book for a while.

Alright, so I'm in for the long haul on this run. It kept a good pace and stayed a fun read throughout. Y'all were right.

Of course Gundra and Thor are dancing together in Valhalla after arguing so much. Of course. lol

Greatly appreciate Diana actually being allowed to have a fling for once instead of the long, drawn out virginal romances she tended to have forever. Good for you, Di. Hope this isn't the last we see of Siggy.

If I had any particular critique, Psycho's situation felt a bit tacked on and almost unnecessary. Nevertheless, easily the best opening salvo I've seen in a Wonder Woman book for a while.
    I’m kind of wondering if Pschyo is part of a bigger scheme or if he was just there to cause chaos. Either one fits him honestly.

Incredible Member

Glad you're digging it!

I gotta agree about the pacing. Outside of maybe Orlando's stuff, the WW book often has pretty decompressed writing. So her meeting people, going places, doing things, throwing hands, getting drunk, saving the day, getting laid, and getting memories back and saving an unrelated pantheon cuz that's just what she frikking does all feels so refreshing. Not only because of the pace but also a fun mix of "human" and super-heroine stuff. Diana can so often be written as detached and sterile but this is not that creative team.

Cloonan, Conrad, Moore and Bonvillain's Wonder Woman/Diana feels self-assured and she's got that Wonder swag and sharp tongue that truly fits her. I can't wait to see their Diana hang with Yara, Etta, Nubia, Artemis, and Donna.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Conrad Tweeted that he's been receiving threats of personal harm over his portrayal of Wonder Woman. That's certainly not the kind of thing Diana would approve of.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

How ridiculous. There have been many controversial depictions of Wonder Woman that border on despicable and even those don’t deserve death threats. I hope the authorities can locate the people responsible and hold them accountable.

I wonder what triggered it? Getting laid?