Page 141 of 258 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191241 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 3858
    Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I'd prefer almost anyone other than Yara in the Wonderverse take the name, in place of or alongside Diana. Donna, Nubia, Artemis. But Yara never should've been Wonder Girl in the first place if they wanted to introduce her as a whole ass woman.
    If Wonder Woman isn't Diana, or Princess Diana, then she isn't Wonder Woman. I would never buy a comic with another person wearing the mantle. It's why I quit the Spiderman books back in the day with the Ben Reilly clone mess. They lost me as a customer and I have no regrets. They make stupid decisions and they will see what happens. I think back in the day Spiderman had 4 monthly titles that I was buying only to throw us with the Ben Reilly dreck.

Yara Flor is not nor shall she be Wonder Woman for me. Stop trying to put a square peg in a round hole. If Yara Flor is such a great character, then let her make her mark in the comic industry on her own merits. The fact that they gave her the Wonder Girl moniker to snooker in Wonder Woman fans is a first sign of disrespect, at least for me.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Let's be real....Yara wouldn't be WW for long. Diana has been replaced before. But if she is again for any amount of time i expect the Amazons to have another challenge to crown her successor.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Let's be real....Yara wouldn't be WW for long. Diana has been replaced before. But if she is again for any amount of time i expect the Amazons to have another challenge to crown her successor.
    There is no reason to make Yara WW or Wondergirl. Again, if her new debut doesn't have her hyped up to be the new Wondergirl or a future Wonder Woman, where do you think her sales would be then?

But go ahead, let us see if they do make her Wonder Woman for 'X' amount of issues and see how sales 'flourish' as a result. This might be my Spiderman moment in which I will refuse to buy anymore Wonder Woman related items for good.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    There is no reason to make Yara WW or Wondergirl. Again, if her new debut doesn't have her hyped up to be the new Wondergirl or a future Wonder Woman, where do you think her sales would be then?

But go ahead, let us see if they do make her Wonder Woman for 'X' amount of issues and see how sales 'flourish' as a result. This might be my Spiderman moment in which I will refuse to buy anymore Wonder Woman related items for good.
    There isn't any reason why we have all these GLs replacing each other, new Batmen, Supermen. Her sales started out just fine but all those delays didn't help.

Extraordinary Member

There isn't any reason why we have all these GLs replacing each other, new Batmen, Supermen. Her sales started out just fine but all those delays didn't help.
    What's the beef against Yara? I think she's one of the more interesting new characters introduced by either of the big two in years.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    What's the beef against Yara? I think she's one of the more interesting new characters introduced by either of the big two in years.
    For me the problem is Joelle Jones. Her writing is less than stellar, and now it's come out that she's a plagiarist on top of that. I'm willing to give Yara a shot under another writer - but not at the expense of Diana.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member

For me the problem is Joelle Jones. Her writing is less than stellar, and now it's come out that she's a plagiarist on top of that. I'm willing to give Yara a shot under another writer - but not at the expense of Diana.
    While she is hardly the first to do such things, I do agree on the art copying part. I've never been comfortable with it no matter who was doing it. That said, my only problem with her writing (IMHO) is that WG just moved at a glacier's pace. As a character, I absolutely LOVED Yara. She was fun, vibrant, spunky...honestly? A lot of things I think the Wonder-Verse could really use.

Not trying to be argumentative, but how is her presence an expense to Diana? Is it because of the whole JLA death thing (I honestly haven't been paying that much attn to that since I know it's temporary and will be undone post haste)?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    While she is hardly the first to do such things, I do agree on the art copying part. I've never been comfortable with it no matter who was doing it. That said, my only problem with her writing (IMHO) is that WG just moved at a glacier's pace. As a character, I absolutely LOVED Yara. She was fun, vibrant, spunky...honestly? A lot of things I think the Wonder-Verse could really use.
    I had an issue with Yara's characterization in the series itself. While she's all those things in Future State: Wonder Woman, I felt like because of the specific story that Joelle was telling Yara lacked all those things that I thought made her interesting in favor of just being kind of... well... bland. The story itself also being less than stellar.

Not trying to be argumentative, but how is her presence an expense to Diana? Is it because of the whole JLA death thing (I honestly haven't been paying that much attn to that since I know it's temporary and will be undone post haste)?
    Oh, let me be clear, I'm not saying that she's currently existing at Diana's expense. The conversation is about if Yara replaces Diana after Dark Crisis.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

My question was where would her sales be if she wasn't hyped up as a new Wonder Girl or a future Wonder Woman? Doubtful she would have sold as much as she had!
    Last edited by BiteTheBullet; 03-03-2022 at 02:41 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I had an issue with Yara's characterization in the series itself. While she's all those things in Future State: Wonder Woman, I felt like because of the specific story that Joelle was telling Yara lacked all those things that I thought made her interesting in favor of just being kind of... well... bland. The story itself also being less than stellar.
    Really? I actually thought she was fleshed out more in her latest series. It was nice seeing what she was like before she got her powers and really injected into the mythological world and how all that informed her personality as the series went on. But then again, I generally appreciate mythological/superhuman worlds more when seen through the eyes of an ordinary person. To each their own, though.

Oh, let me be clear, I'm not saying that she's currently existing at Diana's expense. The conversation is about if Yara replaces Diana after Dark Crisis.
    Gotcha.

My question was where would her sales be if she wasn't hyped up as a new Wonder Girl or a future Wonder Woman? Doubtful she would have sold as much as she had!
    TBF, very few (if any) new characters do very well if not somehow linked to major established characters like Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman. This is hardly a Yara exclusive problem. For me, though, you throw Jones on any book where she does the art and I'm all over it. That and the design of the character had me sold.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 03-03-2022 at 02:58 PM.

WW isn't a big seller in the first place so her being hyped and doing as well as she did was a feat within itself. But these legacies are to help with just that, launching characters.

Extraordinary Member

WW isn't a big seller in the first place so her being hyped and doing as well as she did was a feat within itself. But these legacies are to help with just that, launching characters.
    Exactly. I'm actually kind of hard pressed to think of a new character from either of the big two that hasn't been introduced through some other big character or team.

From what I understand, her 5th issue put her below 30,000 in sales which is not impressive given all the hype she and the Superman/Batman legacies got. She wasn't able to sustain or gather new readers and decreased steadily across the board. I am pretty sure I wouldn't count that as a success.

Extraordinary Member

From what I understand, her 5th issue put her below 30,000 in sales which is not impressive given all the hype she and the Superman/Batman legacies got. She wasn't able to sustain or gather new readers and decreased steadily across the board. I am pretty sure I wouldn't count that as a success.
    Wasn't that when the big delays hit? That tends to to affect sales.

After multiple delays.