Page 145 of 258 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195245 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 3858
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    They haven't leaned into it at all. We've barely seen anything of the actual Esquecida and the only times we got a look at Akahim it was incredibly brief.

The biggest criticism about Yara, especially from readers that are meant to be from her culture, is that she was promised to be a Brazilian Wonder Woman and she's very much not that. Apart from being born in Akahim, she's not even Brazilian: she was raised in freakin' Idaho.
    Okay, so are Japanese people born and raised in the US suddenly not ethnically Japanese anymore?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Okay, so are Japanese people born and raised in the US suddenly not ethnically Japanese anymore?
    I guess it depends on how they feel about being Japanese/their Japanese heritage.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess it depends on how they feel about being Japanese/their Japanese heritage.
    From what I remember, she was going to Brazil to learn more about it, so clearly it's important to her.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

... No. They're not. They're ethnically Japanese-American. Just like Yara is ethnically Brazilian-American, but the key point to what upsets me about her being raised American is that she has no connection to the Brazilian part of her character in favor of, presumably, them wanting to build that up which Joelle very pointedly did not do in favor of making her a brown self-insert.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member

... No. They're not. They're ethnically Japanese-American. Just like Yara is ethnically Brazilian-American
    Nope. Sorry, but as an Asian American, my Asian heritage is every bit as important to me as me being born in America. Halle Berry identifies as black even though her mother is white. So, yes, Yara is Brazilian.

Nope. Sorry, but as an Asian American, my Asian heritage is every bit as important to me as me being born in America. Halle Berry identifies as black even though her mother is white. So, yes, Yara is Brazilian.
    I think you're misunderstanding me with regards to this, though. I'm not saying that someone who is ethnically, for the sake of the argument, Japanese-American is only American as far as their ethnicity goes. That's the point of ethnicity; it's about where you're from. Both parts of the person's identity are equally as important as one another.

Yara is Brazilian-American as a character but she's really... not. Not in the way that she's written. Apart from wanting to visit Brazil for the first time when she's 21 in the first issue of her series, that's something that - as it is written - doesn't really matter much to her. She only goes back to Brazil later on because that's where Joao is. The series itself prefers to rely on the Greek aspect of the Wonder Woman series as a whole instead of focusing on the aspect that Yara was meant to be a Brazilian Wonder Woman - that aspect of the character is almost practically invisible. Of the seven issues that were released we get two of them set coincidentally in Brazil, four of them on Mt Olympus, and one of them focusing on Yara as she gets away from Mt Olympus and - once again coincidentally - winds up in Akahim. If you changed the Esquecida to the Bana or to the Themyscirans and the locales not much changes because that part of the series doesn't really matter. That's literally been the biggest criticism of Yara from the fans that she was made in mind with; to act like it's not is ignoring everything that Brazilian fans have been saying since Future State, because having reread those issues all the problems present in the solo are present there as well.

Going forward I think Yara could be a really good character with potentially really strong ties to the Brazilian aspect of her, but it's on DC to actually make those connections, and I'm just not sure that Joelle Jones is interested in doing that or if she's really capable of it given that Brazilian fans have been saying that she's been trampling all over their mythology and culture for practically Yara's entire existence. She really needs more of a Brazilian touch or at least the touch of someone who cares enough to do actual research to genuinely help Yara embrace that.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member

I think you're misunderstanding me with regards to this, though. I'm not saying that someone who is ethnically, for the sake of the argument, Japanese-American is only American as far as their ethnicity goes. That's the point of ethnicity; it's about where you're from. Both parts of the person's identity are equally as important as one another.

Yara is Brazilian-American as a character but she's really... not. Not in the way that she's written. Apart from wanting to visit Brazil for the first time when she's 21 in the first issue of her series, that's something that - as it is written - doesn't really matter much to her. She only goes back to Brazil later on because that's where Joao is. The series itself prefers to rely on the Greek aspect of the Wonder Woman series as a whole instead of focusing on the aspect that Yara was meant to be a Brazilian Wonder Woman - that aspect of the character is almost practically invisible. Of the seven issues that were released we get two of them set coincidentally in Brazil, four of them on Mt Olympus, and one of them focusing on Yara as she gets away from Mt Olympus and - once again coincidentally - winds up in Akahim. If you changed the Esquecida to the Bana or to the Themyscirans and the locales not much changes because that part of the series doesn't really matter. That's literally been the biggest criticism of Yara from the fans that she was made in mind with; to act like it's not is ignoring everything that Brazilian fans have been saying since Future State, because having reread those issues all the problems present in the solo are present there as well.

Going forward I think Yara could be a really good character with potentially really strong ties to the Brazilian aspect of her, but it's on DC to actually make those connections, and I'm just not sure that Joelle Jones is interested in doing that or if she's really capable of it given that Brazilian fans have been saying that she's been trampling all over their mythology and culture for practically Yara's entire existence. She really needs more of a Brazilian touch or at least the touch of someone who cares enough to do actual research to genuinely help Yara embrace that.
    Okay. Thanks for the elaboration. I was not aware of any of these complaints. If you could provide a link I would appreciate it.

Okay. Thanks for the elaboration. I was not aware of any of these complaints. If you could provide a link I would appreciate it.
    Sure. As someone that didn't realize the problem himself I'm happy to shed some light. This article is a good read that sums up everything that's being said about Yara by Brazilian fans on Social Media. Admittedly as far as articles like this go, this is the only one that I could find because general praise for the character from American (and predominantly white) fans has been drowning out this side of the fandom since Future State. But if you look on Twitter, reddit, even places like tiktok it's there.

https://comfortfoodcomics.wordpress....herme-preusse/

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

spoilers:
    I love that Diana's raw anger is on display. I think it's interesting that Nubia will only allow the use of the Lasso of Truth as a last resort. I'm excited to see how this all plays out!
    end of spoilers
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Pride variant Cover WW #788

Extraordinary Member

Blanking on what the solicits have revealed so far but Takara is gunna be doing a Poison Ivy book come June so he's leaving WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Blanking on what the solicits have revealed so far but Takara is gunna be doing a Poison Ivy book come June so he's leaving WW.
    May solicitations revealed Emanuela Lupacchino is taking over from Takara. I hope she'll stay for more than one arc.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    spoilers:
    I love that Diana's raw anger is on display. I think it's interesting that Nubia will only allow the use of the Lasso of Truth as a last resort. I'm excited to see how this all plays out!
    end of spoilers

It sounds like plot induced stupidity. How many times do we think that Diana doesn't or forgets to use the lasso to solve a problem, but in this case she wants to use it to solve a problem, but can't, just because.

I mean, the lasso gets nerfed in the DC Vampires arc, and now she can't use it because of reasons???

She was given the lasso by the gods, all the amazons know what she can do with the lasso, but they all of a sudden are against using it? Again, plot stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    It sounds like plot induced stupidity. How many times do we think that Diana doesn't or forgets to use the lasso to solve a problem, but in this case she wants to use it to solve a problem, but can't, just because.

I mean, the lasso gets nerfed in the DC Vampires arc, and now she can't use it because of reasons???

She was given the lasso by the gods, all the amazons know what she can do with the lasso, but they all of a sudden are against using it? Again, plot stupidity!
    But... it's not.

spoilers:
    Diana chooses not to use the lasso because she can't be trusted not to abuse it right now. She's grieving.
    end of spoilers