Page 151 of 258 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201251 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 3858
    Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I like Siggy a new mythological “himbo” friend, but I really want to see Atlantiades as a supporting character too.

I really look at it this way… there’s enough room for everyone to be supporting characters from time to time. When I look at how many characters are in and how expansive the Batverse is, I refuse to allow anything less for Diana.

I know Diana doesn’t get near as many opportunities or page time as the Bat crew, but some of that comes from creating a rich world for her that takes into account and highlights all her concepts and interesting characters. You’re going to find more intriguing ideas and characters from looking at and adding to the Wonder tapestry over time instead of rebuilding her cast from whole cloth for every run.
    The Batverse also has a gazillion monthly titles, movies, animated....Wonder Woman universe can't even begin to compare!

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    The Batverse also has a gazillion monthly titles, movies, animated....Wonder Woman universe can't even begin to compare!
    Sad but true. I know that this is a whoel different time and that sales and attention from fans are super fragmented, but how I wish that comic companies still made those classic "Superman Family" type comics, which were awesome platforms for supporting cast members and adjacent stories. Granted, I don't recall Wonder Woman ever getting one of those books, but I can dream.

I like Siggy a new mythological “himbo” friend, but I really want to see Atlantiades as a supporting character too.

I really look at it this way… there’s enough room for everyone to be supporting characters from time to time. When I look at how many characters are in and how expansive the Batverse is, I refuse to allow anything less for Diana.
    The sad truth is that a great many more people like Batman and his universe and are willing to support it with their cold hard cash.

The general public likes Wonder Woman, but her fanbase is so fractured that it's difficult to come up with a cohesive version to rally behind. Her diehards all want the version that they imprinted on--whether that's the experimental Marston version, the wacky 50s version, the Perez version, or the Azzarello version. And the ones who don't get their version are highly and loudly critical--with DC notices and, internally, uses as evidence to regard Wonder Woman and her readers as "fringe." This applies specifically to the comic book realm, as Wonder Woman does rather well in other media (merchandising, toys, live action).

Despite her success outside of comic books, Warner/DC still doesn't have faith in her (or Superman, frankly) to throw additional support behind. Certainly not the support they give to their cash cow Batman.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    The sad truth is that a great many more people like Batman and his universe and are willing to support it with their cold hard cash.

The general public likes Wonder Woman, but her fanbase is so fractured that it's difficult to come up with a cohesive version to rally behind. Her diehards all want the version that they imprinted on--whether that's the experimental Marston version, the wacky 50s version, the Perez version, or the Azzarello version. And the ones who don't get their version are highly and loudly critical--with DC notices and, internally, uses as evidence to regard Wonder Woman and her readers as "fringe." This applies specifically to the comic book realm, as Wonder Woman does rather well in other media (merchandising, toys, live action).

Despite her success outside of comic books, Warner/DC still doesn't have faith in her (or Superman, frankly) to throw additional support behind. Certainly not the support they give to their cash cow Batman.
    WB also missed an opportunity to strengthen the brand after the first movie came out, when basically the character had mainstream support and you could create a solid fanbase, which is what they basically did with Batman in the past (after the Burton movies they started working on the comics and the animated show, after batman Begins they again worked on giving Grant Morrison the get go and did another animated show etc, this creates long term fans because there's a lot of media to consume about a character that you've seen in a blockbuster movie).

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    WB also missed an opportunity to strengthen the brand after the first movie came out, when basically the character had mainstream support and you could create a solid fanbase, which is what they basically did with Batman in the past (after the Burton movies they started working on the comics and the animated show, after batman Begins they again worked on giving Grant Morrison the get go and did another animated show etc, this creates long term fans because there's a lot of media to consume about a character that you've seen in a blockbuster movie).
    It's awful but I'm going to say it, maybe there just aren't enough people who like Wonder Woman to support her having a stronger corner of DC's comic book universe. I mean look around, there are like 20 regular posters on this board, most of whom I can name off the top of my head. The people who like her in live action and many fans who buy her merchandise don't actually buy her monthly comic book or it's offshoots.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 04-21-2022 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It's awful but I'm going to say it, maybe there just aren't enough people who like Wonder Woman to support her having a stronger corner of DC's comic book universe. I mean look around, there are like 20 regular posters on this board, most of whom I can name off the top of my head. The people who like her in live action and many fans who buy her merchandise don't actually buy her monthly comic book or it's offshoots.
    This is true. But her YA books sell like hotcakes from what I understand. It's just the comic books that piss off longtime readers and don't attract any new ones.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Incredible Member

This is true. But her YA books sell like hotcakes from what I understand. It's just the comic books that piss off longtime readers and don't attract any new ones.
    Comic books aren't attracting new readers period. Manga is exploding, but comic sales are still declining. Her YA sales are apparently good and so are her trade sales apparently.

I also think it's odd that people are saying DC isn't doing more to expand her corner of the D.C. Universe, when Nubia has a series of minis now, the first-ever Wonder Girl book just concluded and will be in trade this year, and Artemis is getting her own mini. Cassie is also being used more in the Wonder verse and the Young Justice verse. Wonder Woman is getting a videogame. I would love more Wonder Woman of course, but she's already getting more now than she has in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    Comic books aren't attracting new readers period. Manga is exploding, but comic sales are still declining. Her YA sales are apparently good and so are her trade sales apparently.

I also think it's odd that people are saying DC isn't doing more to expand her corner of the D.C. Universe, when Nubia has a series of minis now, the first-ever Wonder Girl book just concluded and will be in trade this year, and Artemis is getting her own mini. Cassie is also being used more in the Wonder verse and the Young Justice verse. Wonder Woman is getting a videogame. I would love more Wonder Woman of course, but she's already getting more now than she has in decades.
    I disagree with the premise that Wonder Woman is getting more now than she has before. She still has only one monthly title. Contrast this to Superman and Batman, in which the main character has had 3-4 monthly ongoing titles for a long time as well as the Worlds finest or Superman/Batman. And I am talking about titles in which the main character is Batman or Superman, not one of their ancillary characters. I don't know if this is the case for Superman anymore, but I am pretty sure he has several not counting Jon Kent.

With Wonder Woman, I want 3-4 titles a month with her as the star. I don't want Nubia or Artemis or some other amazon as the star of some monthly or limited series title. If they do make one like that, then I would want that to complement the 3-4 titles that Diana has ongoing.

Just because Diana has a limited series out (Evolution) and Historia (which is also limited and hasn't even introduced Diana yet, I think) does not pass the litmus test for me. I don't want an anthology like Black and Gold (is that the right term for it?) to be considered as one of her 'monthly' titles since they use this same format for Batman and Superman.

Give us at least 2 titles a month, not a limited series, that tells us continuous stories within the continuity of the current DC Universe, or make one of her titles in one of the other multiverses. Preferably, I would want 4 monthly titles so that we could expect one once a week, but again, these titles should have Diana as the main focus.

I wouldn't say Batman has one unified vision. You have Adam West Batman, Brave and the Bold Batman, Nolan Batman, DCAU Batman, Reeves Batman and even in the comics the 50's Batman is very different from the 80/90's Batman who in turn feels different from the current new twenties Batman.

What keeps Batman successful as a franchise is the high degree of consistency. We all agree that Batman is Bruce Wayne that he lives in Gotham City, we accept that his origin was seeing his parents gunned down in crime alley and that he was raised by Alfred and he spent years training to become Batman. Inconsistencies like Martha Wayne dying of a heart attack or Bruce being raised by his uncle have long since been over written and forgotten. The other reason is that DC has provided has constant stream of Batman content on an almost yearly basis since 89 at least. I can't remember a time in my entire existence that there was ever a period where there wasn't a Batman related show or movie that wasn't out that particular year. This leads to Batman picking up new fans who in turn join the industry who in turn makes more Batman content, rinse and repeat. Adam West's Batman went from being something that people were embarassed about in the 90's to the point where B:TAS did the Grey Ghost episode in order to show that old school still had some value to the fanbase completely embracing campy Batman in the late 00'-'10's to the point where West even got to voice the character again in an animated movie based on his Batman. Point is, DC has given something to the various disparate fans of the Bat franchise.

What has caused the WW brand to languish is the lack of adaptations outside of comics. Its adaptations like Lois & Clark that has cemented Byrne's 'Man of Steel' arc as the definitive bible for the live action Superman. WW has fans but due to their frustration with DC most of them end up moving on to something else.

The other problem is putting writers in charge who don't really *get* the character and they write her as either passive or as 'warrior woman' or worse a misandrist. I say WW in the comics really started going down hill with events like Amazons Attack and her killing Maxwell Lord being used as a spring board for justifying 'Warrior Woman' characterization of her. Then you had this merry go round of attempted revamps like Amazons Attack, the Heinberg run, the brief JMS run and the Azarello run. The Azz run did the most damage imo, by cracking the very foundation of WW mythos by making Zeus her father and turning the Amazons into blood thirsty man haters. Nearly everything about the WW franchise is built on the foundation of the Amazons being a utopian city that hid themselves from the world after their capture and enslavement by Heracles. When you can't establish that it's hard to do characters like Artemis, Donna or Cassie right. You can tell the current writers *really* want to build off of the Perez run but somebody at DC still Diana to be Zeus daughter so they can't really full embrace it. I know people love the WW movie but imo, it did damage the WW brand by canonizing the daughter of Zeus element from Azz's run.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I disagree with the premise that Wonder Woman is getting more now than she has before. She still has only one monthly title. Contrast this to Superman and Batman, in which the main character has had 3-4 monthly ongoing titles for a long time as well as the Worlds finest or Superman/Batman. And I am talking about titles in which the main character is Batman or Superman, not one of their ancillary characters. I don't know if this is the case for Superman anymore, but I am pretty sure he has several not counting Jon Kent.

With Wonder Woman, I want 3-4 titles a month with her as the star. I don't want Nubia or Artemis or some other amazon as the star of some monthly or limited series title. If they do make one like that, then I would want that to complement the 3-4 titles that Diana has ongoing.

Just because Diana has a limited series out (Evolution) and Historia (which is also limited and hasn't even introduced Diana yet, I think) does not pass the litmus test for me. I don't want an anthology like Black and Gold (is that the right term for it?) to be considered as one of her 'monthly' titles since they use this same format for Batman and Superman.

Give us at least 2 titles a month, not a limited series, that tells us continuous stories within the continuity of the current DC Universe, or make one of her titles in one of the other multiverses. Preferably, I would want 4 monthly titles so that we could expect one once a week, but again, these titles should have Diana as the main focus.
    Wow, I totally disagree. I love that we're getting series about the other Amazons and it's awesome that WW's world is getting bigger. The renewed focus on Nubia in particular has been an absolute treat - Nubia and the Amazons was great and I'm thrilled that she's getting another series. Also, as you pointed out, this isn't a Diana-specific thing - I'm pretty sure Superman only has one ongoing right now that stars Clark Kent and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the Batverse titles focus on legacy characters as well.

And I love that we're getting such a great slate of limited series. For one thing she's always been sorely lacking definitive, self-contained standalone stories so we need them, but from a storytelling standpoint we also get to see waaaay more diversity of talent than we would just getting monthly ongoings. Historia is already a masterpiece, and if it gets picked up for the full 9 books originally planned I can see it being widely regarded as a genre landmark (unprecedented for WW save for maybe Perez's run). Black and Gold was a delight - what other format could have gotten us a beautiful WW story by Trung Le Nguyen? Dead Earth came out last year and was divisive among fans (though I quite liked it), but it was very well-received and popular so I can see it leading to more out-of-the-box Black Label stuff for her in the future. Evolution is...well, in a way it's kind of exciting that WW is now popular enough that she has a really terrible out-of-continuity limited series coming out.

Then outside of comics she's got a solo video game coming up that sounds like it's gonna be great, which more than you can say for basically any superhero other than Batman and Spider-Man. My only complaint at the moment is that she doesn't have an animated series planned but overall we're eating pretty good over here.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think there has always been that opportunity though that DC hasn't really managed or cared to take though. We get a lot of basic takes on WW with various creative teams. They really need a team that takes her to next level, gives her an EPIC storyline with A+ art. WW is...a woman, a girl and they certainly treat her and her universe like it. They give her pretty variants, covers, etc...they need to start giving her more covers that will draw in other people. She needs more Historia type takes that make you go WOW both with her gods and her non-gods.

It also doesnt help (I know its been said a BILLION times) that she doesnt have that many media projects. Her origin story hasnt been beaten to hell in multiple live action films like Batman. She's just now getting her first game, hasnt received her own animated series.

Basically imagine where Batman would be if Batman 66 show was the last major thing Batman had until recently. That's WW. She's playing catch up.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 04-21-2022 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Wow, I totally disagree. I love that we're getting series about the other Amazons and it's awesome that WW's world is getting bigger. The renewed focus on Nubia in particular has been an absolute treat - Nubia and the Amazons was great and I'm thrilled that she's getting another series. Also, as you pointed out, this isn't a Diana-specific thing - I'm pretty sure Superman only has one ongoing right now that stars Clark Kent and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the Batverse titles focus on legacy characters as well.

And I love that we're getting such a great slate of limited series. For one thing she's always been sorely lacking definitive, self-contained standalone stories so we need them, but from a storytelling standpoint we also get to see waaaay more diversity of talent than we would just getting monthly ongoings. Historia is already a masterpiece, and if it gets picked up for the full 9 books originally planned I can see it being widely regarded as a genre landmark (unprecedented for WW save for maybe Perez's run). Black and Gold was a delight - what other format could have gotten us a beautiful WW story by Trung Le Nguyen? Dead Earth came out last year and was divisive among fans (though I quite liked it), but it was very well-received and popular so I can see it leading to more out-of-the-box Black Label stuff for her in the future. Evolution is...well, in a way it's kind of exciting that WW is now popular enough that she has a really terrible out-of-continuity limited series coming out.

Then outside of comics she's got a solo video game coming up that sounds like it's gonna be great, which more than you can say for basically any superhero other than Batman and Spider-Man. My only complaint at the moment is that she doesn't have an animated series planned but overall we're eating pretty good over here.
    1st...until the actual video game comes out for Diana then we can't count on that yet. It's great that we will get one, but probably not until 2024. And especially with today's technology if they can't make a flight mechanic as part of the game, that is already a strike against that.

2nd...Batman and Superman have many monthly titles devoted exclusively for them. Whether the Superman ones are called Superman and the Authority or Superman and Lois, these are still titles that deal with Superman as a main character. The fact that other characters in his universe have ongoing monthlys like Supergirl or Superman/Son of Kal-El just adds to happiness that Superman fans would have. And let's not get started on Batman on all the monthly titles as well as his ancillary characters. If it wasn't for Batman and his monthlies, I doubt DC comics would even be afloat right now.

3rd...as far as limited series, that is not the same thing as the monthlies. From what I have seen, Evolution will get a hard pass from me. Trial of the Amazons the same. I don't have a interest in Historia, but it may be good. Wonder Girl with Yara had potential based on initial sales, but got cancelled. What ongoing Wonder Woman series is out there that isn't a limited series? The Black and Gold is just an anthology, much like Sensation and does not have established rules for Diana's powers which is just more irritant for me. I am sure that sooner rather than later that this will get cancelled. As far as I know, when Trial of the Amazons is over, we will only have the Wonder Woman title as a monthly.

I would say that at a minimum, Superman (Clark Kent) and Batman (Bruce Wayne) have multiple ongoing titles each besides the other characters in their universe. Batman keeps churning out movie after movie including animated. Superman has had multiple TV shows including animated series.

I don't know about you, but I don't feel as if we are getting this great revolution of Wonder Woman related stuff. And to be specific, I mean Wonder Woman as the main character. Isn't Trial of the Amazons a Wonder Woman event, but from what I have seen we have very little Diana? Alot of this so called goodwill of Wonder Woman may have come about because of the success with her Wonder Woman 2017 movie, but WW84 certainly will not keep up this momentum.

I ain't feeling it like you do and others. Seems like just crumbs as usual.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    You can tell the current writers *really* want to build off of the Perez run but somebody at DC still Diana to be Zeus daughter so they can't really full embrace it. I know people love the WW movie but imo, it did damage the WW brand by canonizing the daughter of Zeus element from Azz's run.
    I honestly don't think the movies are doing much to firmly cement Diana as the daughter of Zeus for the general public at large. Not to the point where they are particularly attached to it that they will be up in arms if its changed to something else in future adaptations.

The main takeaways from the first WW film are that Diana's a great heroic character, the Amazons are scene stealers in every movie they are in, and the romance with Steve was really popular in at least the first film. Pascal and Wiig were also well liked for what they managed to do with what they were given, if not how their characters were actually utilized. Nobody cares that much about Zeus. I think people overstate how much damage that is doing.

All of this! I love the idea of Diana, Etta, Steve, Siggy and Julia - last four being part of Diana’s “Scooby” gang.

In later seasons, I can see Hippolyta joining them on an adventure or two, Ferdinand coming into the mix, and teenage adopted Amazon Donna Troy after the gang has their first visit to Themyscira for half a season/series.

It could be all monsters and mayhem and mystical artifacts.

Ares as the overarching Big Bad releasing monsters from Tartarus or creating them through influence and taking advantage of mere mortals. Circe comes in as well with her trademark beastimorph magic and curses...
    Good, old reality-warping JANUS is welcome, in any WW comic, I'm reading!

If I thought it was narratively sustainable, I would welcome Diana heading up a regular (every or every other issue) and semi-regular cast, featuring Etta, Col. Steve, Dr. Julia, Mala, Siggy, Hippolyta, Artemis, Queen Nubia, I Ching, Queen Desira, Ferdinand, Zephyr the Wonder Bird and Mister Genie. Further, I'd welcome moving the bunch of them to a fictional, iconic Southwestern city of time-travelers, space aliens and mystical beings - pretending to be normal people - in what would be the X-files Capital of the DCU.

Right now, I think Diana and a regular core of Etta, Col. Steve, Dr. Julia, Siggy, Mala and Queen Nubia would be very accessible to new readers, the easiest to adapt to movies, TV shows and cartoons ..and to merchandise. I can imagine the others being celebrated, recurring characters in WW stories, coming and going, being sorely missed ..and very popular.

Geez Luiz, do I want to see this comic finally get a solid, regular cast, like the most popular superhero comics, in publishing history! Robert Kanigher cheated this comic out of a cast, and I have begged new WW editor, Brittany Holzherr, to fix that. If Holzherr mandates the comic must retain four or five characters, who play really well off each other - for me, that's the current cast - with the understanding that it can grow (Dr. Julia, Mala, etc) and change, over the course of time, ..this comic has a cast! Yay!

Finally, with every intention of sounding, like a scratchy record...

Big and not-so-big boy fans of superhero comics, as much as girl fans, want to imagine having our own superhuman powers and colorful costumes - and a simple backstory - and being welcomed to join the adventures of our favorite superheroes. While Steve, Tim, Ed, Micah, both Mikes and even Ching are very nice, they don't deliver superhero-cool on the level that Batgirl, Troy and Steel do, ..and Siggy and, with some tweaking, Olympian (Achilles) do. Between Siggy and Olympian, straight and LGBTQA guys finally get a Wonderverse power-fantasy hero, to associate with...

And it's about damn time.

Not that we'll see it happen, during this GREAT run, but, I'd like to see Olympian ditch his skinny realtor BF and get a cooler guy, who makes/maintains his weapons, ..and who might be half-Sasquatch, half-ghost or able to change into some kind of monster.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-22-2022 at 04:26 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I agree with Bite The Bullet: as much as I LOVE Nubia and the love she's getting lately, I wish we had at least TWO Wonder Woman titles. Maybe the main one and a second title that has two features: one Diana-centric story per issue (that takes up the majority of the book, of course) PLUS a back-up feature that rotates stories about Nubia, Donna, Cassie, ETta, Steve, Ferdinand, etc.).