Page 152 of 258 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156162202252 ... LastLast
Results 2,266 to 2,280 of 3858
    Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I agree with Bite The Bullet: as much as I LOVE Nubia and the love she's getting lately, I wish we had at least TWO Wonder Woman titles. Maybe the main one and a second title that has two features: one Diana-centric story per issue (that takes up the majority of the book, of course) PLUS a back-up feature that rotates stories about Nubia, Donna, Cassie, ETta, Steve, Ferdinand, etc.).
    That is not a bad idea. But it would have to be ongoing monthly comics, not a limited series. And the second one can't come out on a schedule of every other month or quarterly. Also, they would have to be in current continuity, or else place one of the monthlies in a different earth, but keep the continuity, not just one shots.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Good, old reality-warping JANUS is welcome, in any WW comic, I'm reading!

If I thought it was narratively sustainable, I would welcome Diana heading up a regular (every or every other issue) and semi-regular cast, featuring Etta, Col. Steve, Dr. Julia, Mala, Siggy, Hippolyta, Artemis, Queen Nubia, I Ching, Queen Desira, Ferdinand, Zephyr the Wonder Bird and Mister Genie. Further, I'd welcome moving the bunch of them to a fictional, iconic Southwestern city of time-travelers, space aliens and mystical beings - pretending to be normal people - in what would be the X-files Capital of the DCU.

Right now, I think Diana and a regular core of Etta, Col. Steve, Dr. Julia, Siggy, Mala and Queen Nubia would be very accessible to new readers, the easiest to adapt to movies, TV shows and cartoons ..and to merchandise. I can imagine the others being celebrated, recurring characters in WW stories, coming and going, being sorely missed ..and very popular.

Geez Luiz, do I want to see this comic finally get a solid, regular cast, like the most popular superhero comics, in publishing history! Robert Kanigher cheated this comic out of a cast, and I have begged new WW editor, Brittany Holzherr, to fix that. If Holzherr mandates the comic must retain four or five characters, who play really well off each other - for me, that's the current cast - with the understanding that it can grow (Dr. Julia, Mala, etc) and change, over the course of time, ..this comic has a cast! Yay!

Finally, with every intention of sounding, like a scratchy record...

Big and not-so-big boy fans of superhero comics, as much as girl fans, want to imagine having our own superhuman powers and colorful costumes - and a simple backstory - and being welcomed to join the adventures of our favorite superheroes. While Steve, Tim, Ed, Micah, both Mikes and even Ching are very nice, they don't deliver superhero-cool on the level that Batgirl, Troy and Steel do, ..and Siggy and, with some tweaking, Olympian (Achilles) do. Between Siggy and Olympian, straight and LGBTQA guys finally get a Wonderverse power-fantasy hero, to associate with...

And it's about damn time.

Not that we'll see it happen, during this GREAT run, but, I'd like to see Olympian ditch his skinny realtor BF and get a cooler guy, who makes/maintains his weapons, ..and who might be half-Sasquatch, half-ghost or able to change into some kind of monster.
    Unfortunately we have to go through the Diana dies again storyline thanks to Dark Crisis. I have really like Williamson's writing but this is just ridiculous at this point.
    I love the energy that Cloonan (and especially) Conrad are bringing to the book (along with all the side writers Williams, Ayala, Jones...who am I forgetting?) I really wanted them to get through this Trial of the Amazons and be turned loose to tell really crazy awesome WW stories...but even that seems to have a term limit of about what....six months to a year before we have to catch up with Dark Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Unfortunately we have to go through the Diana dies again storyline thanks to Dark Crisis. I have really like Williamson's writing but this is just ridiculous at this point.
    I love the energy that Cloonan (and especially) Conrad are bringing to the book (along with all the side writers Williams, Ayala, Jones...who am I forgetting?) I really wanted them to get through this Trial of the Amazons and be turned loose to tell really crazy awesome WW stories...but even that seems to have a term limit of about what....six months to a year before we have to catch up with Dark Crisis.
    If we didn't have to be bothered, with TOTA or Dark Crisis, I can totally see the current cast shining, in those really crazy, awesome Wonder Woman stories, you're talking about. I can imagine exciting characters, NEW and old, being used in ways, that build and strengthen the story canon, exponentially! I can even see the Olympian (Achilles), as a semi-regular (3-5 issues/yr), ..dropping by for team-ups, with his demi-squatch or half-squatch BF in a weird, Cloonrad-shaped Wonderverse. I can see a Cloonrad Donna Troy being a lifestyle blogger and small town Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-22-2022 at 10:44 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I’m wondering how they’re going to address it. Will it just be a one issue tie in and then they continue on with Diana’s stories, with an editor’s note to let readers know this takes place in the “past”? Or are they going to have to switch protagonists?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I know me saying this will simply be ignored because people are desperate to believe that Yara is suddenly going to take over the book despite all evidence to the contrary, but this would hardly be the first event where the book just continued on regardless of what was happening in a Justice League event.

Do the solicits suggest a big upcoming arc about Wonder Woman vs Doctor Psychos Villainy Inc? Yes.
    Has there been any indication that Action Comics is going to abruptly end its Warworld story abruptly because Superman has died? No.
    Does anyone for one iota of a moment believe DC is going to abruptly cut Bruce Wayne out of all twenty or so Batbooks currently being published and suddenly make Jace the protagonist? I hope people know better.

But no, people want to convince themselves that it will happen anyway and ignore every logical indication that their probably not even going to reference Dark Crisis in the Wonder Woman book.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    I know me saying this will simply be ignored because people are desperate to believe that Yara is suddenly going to take over the book despite all evidence to the contrary, but this would hardly be the first event where the book just continued on regardless of what was happening in a Justice League event.

Do the solicits suggest a big upcoming arc about Wonder Woman vs Doctor Psychos Villainy Inc? Yes.
    Has there been any indication that Action Comics is going to abruptly end its Warworld story abruptly because Superman has died? No.
    Does anyone for one iota of a moment believe DC is going to abruptly cut Bruce Wayne out of all twenty or so Batbooks currently being published and suddenly make Jace the protagonist? I hope people know better.

But no, people want to convince themselves that it will happen anyway and ignore every logical indication that their probably not even going to reference Dark Crisis in the Wonder Woman book.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I honestly don't think the movies are doing much to firmly cement Diana as the daughter of Zeus for the general public at large. Not to the point where they are particularly attached to it that they will be up in arms if its changed to something else in future adaptations.

The main takeaways from the first WW film are that Diana's a great heroic character, the Amazons are scene stealers in every movie they are in, and the romance with Steve was really popular in at least the first film. Pascal and Wiig were also well liked for what they managed to do with what they were given, if not how their characters were actually utilized. Nobody cares that much about Zeus. I think people overstate how much damage that is doing.
    I disagree. I've seen tons of casuals who only know Diana based on the movie describe her as 'the daughter of Zeus'. Whether we like it or not, the Azz run has been the gateway to WW for many folks.

At the very least, an actual faithful adaptation of WW is bound to create confusion for those who had seen the Jenkins movies.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I disagree. I've seen tons of casuals who only know Diana based on the movie describe her as 'the daughter of Zeus'. Whether we like it or not, the Azz run has been the gateway to WW for many folks.

At the very least, an actual faithful adaptation of WW is bound to create confusion for those who had seen the Jenkins movies.
    I often think about why "daughter of Zeus" is a "gateway" for fans to finally be interested in Wonder Woman. Phil Jimenez's theory is that it adds an air of "legitimacy" to her power levels, and readers who have strong power fantasies like to be able to point to her connection to the King of the Gods as a way to insist/prove that Wonder Woman is powerful.

My personal feeling is that making her the "daughter of Zeus" was patriarchy doing what patriarchy does: attempt to eliminate the more progressive feminist aspect of her origins and replace it with something that appeals to white cisgender heterosexual masculine sensibilities. It's almost blasphemous that they decided to make Zeus--one of the most rapey, misogynistic, cruel, and despicable gods of the Greek pantheon--Wonder Woman's "father." I think it's gross. And telling.

This is why I very much prefer what Kelly Sue DeConnick is doing in Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons.
    Last edited by SonOfBaldwin; 04-25-2022 at 06:16 AM.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

With how CBMs are embracing the Multiverse approach, I think audiences are getting used to multiple versions of characters and details won't always line up. Most of the casuals I talk to don't focus on the Zeus element that much.

There's also the fact that the film doesn't have any resemblance to the Azz run beyond Zeus being the father, and it's executed in a far different way. I think calling it the "gateway" for many WW fans is exaggeration, especially as the film also borrows stuff from the Perez run, the Golden Age and TV show and brings its own elements to the table.

Again, I would still vastly have preferred the clay birth, but I don't think this is as cemented to WW as the Byrne influence is (unfortunately) for Superman. Especially as we only have two solo movies and the second one only had one brief mention of Zeus.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 04-24-2022 at 01:13 PM.

Also the Injustice franchise uses that origin, and the games/comics for that are some of the most popular stuff DC has put out in the last decade (fml).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I can't say I see the Zeus origin going anywhere until there's a big piece of media (probably multiple) where it's explicitly not used. But even then I can see DC (WBs) insisting even if the clay version is used that a male god be involved in bringing WW to life (see the DCAU).

Fortunately at least it seems Daddy Zeus isn't ironclad anymore as there has been stuff recently where it's not being used.

But yeah, Daddy Zeus with popular with casuals and knuckle draggers who think Zack Snyder is a Philosopher and Injustice is deeper than a fortune cookie. So it will have unfortunately have staying power.
    Last edited by Gaius; 04-24-2022 at 04:00 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    But yeah, Daddy Zeus with popular with casuals and knuckle draggers who think Zack Snyder is a Philosopher and Injustice is deeper than a fortune cookie. So it will have unfortunately have staying power.
    On the plus side, the more distance we get from the Snyder cut and the less likely the Snyderverse will ever be restored, we have the chance that any hypothetical film series will change the origin back.

Injustice is more of a problem than I remembered, now that people have brought it up. In my defense, there are SO MANY problems with Diana in Injustice that I can be forgiven for not remembering her birth

It will be interesting to see how her video game addresses her birth, if it even does so at all

Maybe the upcoming game won't use the Daddy Zeus origin, to avoid the God of War comparison.

Though it's more likely they just won't mention her origin than address the clay origin.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

On the plus side, the more distance we get from the Snyder cut and the less likely the Snyderverse will ever be restored, we have the chance that any hypothetical film series will change the origin back.

Injustice is more of a problem than I remembered, now that people have brought it up. In my defense, there are SO MANY problems with Diana in Injustice that I can be forgiven for not remembering her birth
    Yeah, it's not even the worst offender about the people behind the franchise handled WW.

Fortunately, no IJ3 on the immediate horizon and the last Injustice-thing was the wet fart of the animated movie.

It will be interesting to see how her video game addresses her birth, if it even does so at all
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Maybe the upcoming game won't use the Daddy Zeus origin, to avoid the God of War comparison.

Though it's more likely they just won't mention her origin than address the clay origin.
    I'm not expecting they'll go with the clay origin if they go into her creation but I'm at least hoping they leave it unanswered if they do. Let each camp walk away with their own head canon.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post

Believe me, I am not one to hope even in the slightest that Yara will take over (just not a fan of the character...I would rather have Jason than her, yes that much not a fan) but what is giving people the idea that there is more to this than expected is that the event takes place in the "near future" and that books "will catch up" toward the end of the event. There's been talk of creative teams being given a timeline of where Dark Crisis will fit in and that they need to be able to absorb that impact into their books. Trust me, I like my Clark, Diana and Bruce right where they are supposed to be...headlining their respective books. Talk however says this will be addressed in the respective books as well.