Page 166 of 258 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170176216 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,490 of 3858
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Hmm, could do with an edit or two.

Vastly superior!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Also, obviously some people are enjoying the Young Diana back up stories, but I would so love to see those pages used for Donna, Cassie, Artemis or other Amazons (I dont know why I have this fascination with Hessia from the Superman/Wonder Woman series.)
    My one and only gripe with the book (which I'm still loving every month!). These really feel like they should be released as OGN's to the tween book market.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    My one and only gripe with the book (which I'm still loving every month!). These really feel like they should be released as OGN's to the tween book market.
    From a marketing standpoint, including those Young Diana back-up stories makes a ton of sense in terms of tapping into a YA market that generally doesn't collect comic books.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Where does milk come from? Female mammals, so it makes sense a mysogynist like Psycho would avoid females and make a milk that fortifies men. Plus certain guys like a lot of supplements anyway and Muscle Milk springs to mind.
    https://www.musclemilk.com/
    I thought the milk thing was because "soy boys" drink soy and almond milk whereas "real men" eat loads of meat and dairy. I suppose that's just the type of the thing I expect from Conrad

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Finally managed to pick up my copy today. It was a really fun issue. Barring Trial of the Amazons being "meh," I don't think we've had a single bad arc so far in this run, and while we continue to not have a permanent artist, at least the artists are good.

"At least you look good Steve." Are they throwing in some subtext for Steve/Siggy? Dare they have the guts to pull the trigger on a poly relationship? Throw Artemis in as a fourth person, and we'll have the best possible outcome for Diana's love life.

Love the use of the Golden Age villains. This run so far has had Psycho, Poison, Gundra, soon to have Cheetah and now the Duke, and another super obscure character Professor Calculus got revamped as a villain. If the Twin Shadows are meant to be old characters, and if they are female, maybe they are Hypnota and Serva, or possibly Queens Solala and Leila from the land of mirrors?

Psycho being re-written as a skewering of Jordan Peterson types is great. "Drink Your Milk" is just as hilariously asinine as "Clean Your Room" (lol his own room in some Twitter pictures looks like trash). It's on-the-nose, but Dr. Psycho and this entire IP have always been on-the-nose anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'll admit, the story got better once Orlando took over but it seemed overly drawn out. The solicit for the September issue of Wonder Woman gives me the impression that this might be a 1 issue story with Cheetah. Depending on how she's portrayed, that might be a good or bad thing.
    Conrad seems to love Cheetah and has mentioned wanting to writer her before. This specific issue may be more of a stand alone, but I'm sure Cheetah will be sticking around. Hopefully, she and Dr. Poison bring the rest of classic Villainy Inc with them, possibly after Psycho is ousted.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Finally managed to pick up my copy today. It was a really fun issue. Barring Trial of the Amazons being "meh," I don't think we've had a single bad arc so far in this run, and while we continue to not have a permanent artist, at least the artists are good.

"At least you look good Steve." Are they throwing in some subtext for Steve/Siggy? Dare they have the guts to pull the trigger on a poly relationship? Throw Artemis in as a fourth person, and we'll have the best possible outcome for Diana's love life.

Love the use of the Golden Age villains. This run so far has had Psycho, Poison, Gundra, soon to have Cheetah and now the Duke, and another super obscure character Professor Calculus got revamped as a villain. If the Twin Shadows are meant to be old characters, and if they are female, maybe they are Hypnota and Serva, or possibly Queens Solala and Leila from the land of mirrors?

Psycho being re-written as a skewering of Jordan Peterson types is great. "Drink Your Milk" is just as hilariously asinine as "Clean Your Room" (lol his own room in some Twitter pictures looks like trash). It's on-the-nose, but Dr. Psycho and this entire IP have always been on-the-nose anyway.

Conrad seems to love Cheetah and has mentioned wanting to writer her before. This specific issue may be more of a stand alone, but I'm sure Cheetah will be sticking around. Hopefully, she and Dr. Poison bring the rest of classic Villainy Inc with them, possibly after Psycho is ousted.

I like the sounds of that especially if Queen Clea is included. Perhaps Dr. Poison is a mole for Cheetah and the other original members of Villainy Inc.?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I like the sounds of that especially if Queen Clea is included. Perhaps Dr. Poison is a mole for Cheetah and the other original members of Villainy Inc.?
    I really hope this is the case… I’m not against other teams forming to oppose Diana and her allies, but Villainy Inc. has historical relevance in its formation as a team and the make up of its members.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    From a marketing standpoint, including those Young Diana back-up stories makes a ton of sense in terms of tapping into a YA market that generally doesn't collect comic books.
    Hmmm... but where is that YA market that generally doesn't collect comics books going to come across a random issue of Wonder Woman? Monthly floppies haven't been available anywhere besides comic specialty shops in a looong time (at least in my area). I'd think they're much more likely to come across a Young Diana OGN at Barnes & Noble. *shrug*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Hmmm... but where is that YA market that generally doesn't collect comics books going to come across a random issue of Wonder Woman? Monthly floppies haven't been available anywhere besides comic specialty shops in a looong time (at least in my area). I'd think they're much more likely to come across a Young Diana OGN at Barnes & Noble. *shrug*
    In a bunch of different ways. Like my niece seeing that there was a story in some Wonder Woman issues for her.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Incredible Member

On the topic of Young Diana, it strikes me that in addition to reaching the YA audience, the backups are fleshing out parts of the Amazon and Island mythos. A streamlining of sorts where before it was a big pile of who knows. I enjoy them!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, it seemed like Cheetah kept showing up, but none of it was as interesting as Ruckas use of her. Cloonrad gas the best run since Rucka left, so that leaves me way more optimistic for her. Whereas Wilson's run lost it's luster long before Cheetah even showed up. So when she did, it was just sort of. .eh
    Yeah, maybe basing this off of a solicit is presumptuous but it sounds like they're gonna go for a more character-driven story with Cheetah and that's a great sign. IMO Rucka's take excelled because he set her up first and foremost as an emotional foil - she never even came close to beating Diana in a fight, but she still had one of WW's all-time best villain arcs. I get the "make Cheetah a powerhouse" chatter because it's frustrating that people tend to write her off, but just look at what happened when Steve Orlando tried to up the stakes by making her a big physical threat with the godkiller stuff - it made her completely generic and uninspired.

(Though for context I kinda prefer a take where Diana's powerful enough that it "breaks" the concept of a basic physical threat anyway - her best arcs all have her dealing with emotional/psychological or political threats and/or going against enemies who are more complicated than big punch. It's the difference between villains like Circe, Ares, Dr. Psycho, and Veronica Cale and villains like Genocide, Grail, and First Born).

Also...someone please give Cheetah motivation other than getting to Themyscira. It tugged at the heartstrings at the end of The Lies but it's gotten so old.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Yeah, maybe basing this off of a solicit is presumptuous but it sounds like they're gonna go for a more character-driven story with Cheetah and that's a great sign. IMO Rucka's take excelled because he set her up first and foremost as an emotional foil - she never even came close to beating Diana in a fight, but she still had one of WW's all-time best villain arcs. I get the "make Cheetah a powerhouse" chatter because it's frustrating that people tend to write her off, but just look at what happened when Steve Orlando tried to up the stakes by making her a big physical threat with the godkiller stuff - it made her completely generic and uninspired.

(Though for context I kinda prefer a take where Diana's powerful enough that it "breaks" the concept of a basic physical threat anyway - her best arcs all have her dealing with emotional/psychological or political threats and/or going against enemies who are more complicated than big punch. It's the difference between villains like Circe, Ares, Dr. Psycho, and Veronica Cale and villains like Genocide, Grail, and First Born).

Also...someone please give Cheetah motivation other than getting to Themyscira. It tugged at the heartstrings at the end of The Lies but it's gotten so old.
    Honestly one of my favorite Cheetah stories is simply Perez's where Cheetah ambushes Diana while shes out for a late night stroll. Made for a pretty amazing fight just by relying on Cheetah being an ambush predator and pulling out a collection of tricks meant to kill Diana before she can collect herself and figure out what is even happening.

Or when the villain has anything more to them than the personality of cardboard.

*gestures at Max Lord*

TBF a lot of that has to do with the idea that Diana herself isn't that powerful, it works both ways. "If Cheetah can't beat Diana, then clearly someone weaker than her can take Cheetah on too, right?" and when you view Diana as just a slightly superior amazon vs a literal child of the Gods then you get stuff like Batman, Green Arrow and Catwoman taking Cheetah down.

I agree with your context take too, though a lot of those stories also established those villains as physical threats to Diana as well, save for Psycho and Cale. I think First Born has a lot of potential if you take away the context of Nu52 Diana's origin and amazons.

I personally think Cheetah's motivations should always be tied to a mix of greed and resentment.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

This also has to do with the fact that certain writers don't view Diana as a powerhouse either. So obviously her villains suffer too. It is a never ending circle. Also Cheetah and the God killing sword was part of the mess started by GWW before she left. Orlando had to spend a good part of his run dealing with the ends she left loose.