Page 190 of 258 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200240 ... LastLast
Results 2,836 to 2,850 of 3858
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    I really liked Cloonrad's Wonder Woman #790. Diana, under their pen has become a lot more assertive, aggressive even. She's patient, but only up to certain point.
    You've hit on something about Cloonrad's voice for Diana that I've also noticed and greatly enjoyed about this run, Mr. Jones! Diana is so often written as these two polar extremes of Warrior Woman or Milquetoast Preachy and Virginal Woman and this Diana is notably none of these. And the balance they strike is so refreshing and so uniquely suited for Diana, too. And the best part is her humor! That line about "...I hate this man" made me chuckle out loud. Their plotting has been good (barring some Trial stuff, but that was written with the authors of the other books), but their characterizations have been where they've shone the most in this run.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Zaslav is a Trump supporter? Everywhere I look, I read that he is a democrat.
    Even this chart here ------> https://www.campaignmoney.com/politi...v.asp?cycle=20
    claims that his 2020 political contributions all went to Democrats. Did he change his allegiances recently?
    I was told by several people in the industry that he "supports Trump in least in terms of policies toward the wealthy and Israel."
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

I was told by several people in the industry that he "supports Trump in least in terms of policies toward the wealthy and Israel."
    Just out of curiosity, if your sources said he was a Biden supporter, would that make everything ok? I ask because I don't care what his politics are, only the product that comes out. And as far as I know he won't be writing for the comics industry.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if your sources said he was a Biden supporter, would that make everything ok? I ask because I don't care what his politics are, only the product that comes out. And as far as I know he won't be writing for the comics industry.
    I didn't vote for Biden, so that would be meaningless to me. What *is* meaningful to me is preventing attempts to drag us back to the antebellum period (whether that manifests in politics or entertainment). And Trump and his supporters have made themselves the living embodiment of that knuckle-dragging as well as the enemies of modernity. All the things that Wonder Woman, if true to her core, opposes.

And I would hate to see the character lose that edge because of some weird, "I'm-anti-everyone-who-isn't-exactly-like-Me-And-My-Jesus-intended" conservative agenda.
    Last edited by SonOfBaldwin; 08-10-2022 at 11:06 AM.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

I feel like under most regime's it would be difficult to move past anything more than subtext with that kind of thing, especially for a marquee character and her major supporting cast.

It was the same thing with the current X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    I find solace here because I doubt Zaslav or the WBD execs care enough about the comics to push for any creative changes. They most likely see them as a glorified IP farm. It could certainly impact rep in movies/shows but suits see dollars and cents long before anything else so at the very least I’m definitely not worried about Harley and Ivy.

(Though I do still find it really funny/sad that of everything they got away with in Harley Quinn, the ONE line WB wouldn’t cross was Batman eating a woman out because “heroes don’t do that.” Good thing the Amazons of Themyscira are heroines amiright?)
    Heroes don't but Superheroes do.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    You've hit on something about Cloonrad's voice for Diana that I've also noticed and greatly enjoyed about this run, Mr. Jones! Diana is so often written as these two polar extremes of Warrior Woman or Milquetoast Preachy and Virginal Woman and this Diana is notably none of these. And the balance they strike is so refreshing and so uniquely suited for Diana, too. And the best part is her humor! That line about "...I hate this man" made me chuckle out loud. Their plotting has been good (barring some Trial stuff, but that was written with the authors of the other books), but their characterizations have been where they've shone the most in this run.
    Cloonrad's Diana feels like she was pulled directly out of the 40's and I love it.

There's talk here of queerness, between Col. Steve and Siggy...? I don't see that.

There really shouldn't be any question of the sexual orientation of Siegfried of Asgard. He is the ex-husband or son-in-law of classic super-villainess, Gundra of the Valkyrie, and a legendary romancer of women, before that.

Wonder Woman, Etta Candy, the Olympian (Simone's Achilles) and Prince Jason are all gay or bisexual and celebrated, as Wonderverse heroes. I look forward to seeing them join the adventures of what I hope is the long-awaited regular (every or every other issue) cast for the WW comic. I'm sure Steve and Siggy will welcome them, as brothers, and get them in a helluva lot of trouble, running around after Diana!

I hope that boys and young men of all orientations can pick up WW and see something inspiring in Steve, Siggy and whoever joins their adventures, for decades to come. I'm waiting for the action figure!

Men can be caring and nurturing, with each other, ..fight with each other ..and living together, without ANY romantic or sexual (and they are NOT the same thing) interest ..OR curiosity. Men, who enjoy long-standing friendships with other men need to speak up and share about this, because I don't think our younger fellow fans understand that is possible.

I am a man, over fifty, and I can tell you that it is.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Siggys mythology doesn't impact his WW mythology.

Olympian was last seen when?

Diana only has female love interests in eldewhere stories.

Plenty of men are bisexual, Siggy being bi wouldn't be a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Siggys mythology doesn't impact his WW mythology.

Olympian was last seen when?

Diana only has female love interests in eldewhere stories.

Plenty of men are bisexual, Siggy being bi wouldn't be a surprise.
    There are operas and cycles of stories in German folklore, which says his bisexuality should be a huge surprise to ALL of us ..and patently ridiculous. Furthermore, Michael Conrad already confirmed, on Twitter, that Siggy, as in legend, is related to the Von Gunthers, through marriage to one of the Gundras, the Valkyrie of opera fame or a namesaked daughter of hers.

What if it was the supervillainess Valkyrie, Gundra, he was married to? Isn't it cool, that Siggy is already in the Wonderverse, through this confirmed marriage to a classic supervillain? How is that not a good thing ..or enough?

Siggy and Steve fooling around seems unnecessarily tacked-on and nonsensical.

This has been settled. See whatever you like, between Siggy and Steve, but, his orientation has already been settled.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-10-2022 at 01:49 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    There's talk here of queerness, between Col. Steve and Siggy...? I don't see that.

There really shouldn't be any question of the sexual orientation of Siegfried of Asgard. He is the ex-husband or son-in-law of classic super-villainess, Gundra of the Valkyrie, and a legendary romancer of women, before that.

Wonder Woman, Etta Candy, the Olympian (Simone's Achilles) and Prince Jason are all gay or bisexual and celebrated, as Wonderverse heroes. I look forward to seeing them join the adventures of what I hope is the long-awaited regular (every or every other issue) cast for the WW comic. I'm sure Steve and Siggy will welcome them, as brothers, and get them in a helluva lot of trouble, running around after Diana!

I hope that boys and young men of all orientations can pick up WW and see something inspiring in Steve, Siggy and whoever joins their adventures, for decades to come. I'm waiting for the action figure!

Men can be caring and nurturing, with each other, ..fight with each other ..and living together, without ANY romantic or sexual (and they are NOT the same thing) interest ..OR curiosity. Men, who enjoy long-standing friendships with other men need to speak up and share about this, because I don't think our younger fellow fans understand that is possible.

I am a man, over fifty, and I can tell you that it is.
    I am 51 years old. I am Black and queer and cisgender and male.

I can tell you that men run the gamut on the spectrum. Some men are "fixed" and some aren't. Just because a person identifies as heterosexual, it doesn't mean they wouldn't, or haven't, occasionally mess around with someone of the same sex--but not enough for them to identify themselves as bisexual or homosexual. Some cisgender men have had one, two, or three same-sex encounters and then gone on to marry cisgender women and have children, etc. Not all human beings fit neatly into or precisely in the categories we've assigned to them.

The possibilities are endless. No matter how mad that makes folks who are foaming over "tEh GaY aGeNdA!"
    Last edited by SonOfBaldwin; 08-10-2022 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    There are operas and cycles of stories in German folklore, which says his bisexuality should be a huge surprise to ALL of us ..and patently ridiculous. Furthermore, Michael Conrad already confirmed, on Twitter, that Siggy, as in legend, is related to the Von Gunthers, through marriage to one of the Gundras, the Valkyrie of opera fame or a namesaked daughter of hers.

This has been settled. See whatever you like, between Siggy and Steve, but, his orientation has already been settled.
    To insist that myths are "settled" without irony is funny. Well, you're going to be pissed, homie. Because this rendition of Siggy is 'bout to taste the rainbow.

To insist that myths are "settled" without irony is funny. Well, you're going to be pissed, homie. Because this rendition of Siggy is 'bout to taste the rainbow.

Don't see that on the docket for this run, but, anything is possible. We have some very imaginative people writing the WW comic, right now, and I hope you find something fun and inspiring, sometimes, in whatever lies ahead.

I'm a straight male, who's been reading WW for nearly fifty years, who is happy to see a superhuman male join Wonder Woman's adventures, who isn't Steve Trevor or Superman or Hercules, ..and who happens to be straight. It's also good to see Steve get a cool male friend, because he hasn't had a lot of those, since World War II, who get to stick around.

I don't think a platonic friendship, between Siggy and Steve should be regarded as less than a romance, between them ..or that any same-sex friendship in the WW comic should be regarded, as less than an LGBTQA relationship, between characters. If anything, Siegfried is a better match for Dr. Julia or some other woman, closer to his age.

And Siggy's already well acquainted with the Rainbow Bifrost, I'm sure.

Straight, not less or more than LGBTQA, is some part of the rainbow too, I hope.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-10-2022 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Definitely, but not always shown that way.
    I like my DP to be glam too, but there is more of a contrast between WW and Cloonrad's more plain jane/tombraider Diana Prince.

Wonder Woman was literally created to subvert myths, so concerns about mythological accuracy are bunk to me. Plus a man can be a womanizer and married to a woman while still being bi.

It sounds like the real concern here is about feeling alienated by the lack of straight characters, specifically straight men. And I think people are welcome to start complaining about that as soon as they start actually showing established queer characters in queer relationships. Diana’s relationships with women have been all tell and no show, Etta has flirted with women but not much else, Philippus and Hippolyta were finally established only for Hippolyta to immediately die, and I don’t think Achilles and Jason are even canon anymore (I’d be happy to see Achilles again but if they could please leave Jason far in the distance…).

LGBTQ+ folks, women, and people of color have had to find ways to relate to and connect with stories that feature no characters like us for our entire lives, so it’s interesting to see it flipped.
    Last edited by bardkeep; 08-10-2022 at 02:34 PM.