Page 214 of 258 FirstFirst ... 114164204210211212213214215216217218224 ... LastLast
Results 3,196 to 3,210 of 3858
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I noticed it, but I am sure that, had I mentioned it, someone would have said that it was "probably the angle." It's just the same ole BS that comic artists do; they simply refuse to, or don't know how to draw people with shapes that go beyond the usual muscle beefcake for men or sex bomb for women. They also rarely depict black women with naturally textured hair. Meh.
    Yeah, Sauvage is a great artists but she dropped the ball here, and the editors, too. And she can draw bigger women, I mean, she drew Valiant's Faith for a time, no? And your last sentence is one of my pet peeves too, and it just reminds me of New52 Amanda Waller.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I hadn't picked up the book until this evening. I was expecting a slim and trim Etta they it was being discussed, but she was still a thick girl.

The one thing that I really dont like about Savauge's work is her coloring. Everything is in pastels and washed out. It might as well all be black and white the way it all has the same tone and consistency to the colors.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I noticed it, but I am sure that, had I mentioned it, someone would have said that it was "probably the angle." It's just the same ole BS that comic artists do; they simply refuse to, or don't know how to draw people with shapes that go beyond the usual muscle beefcake for men or sex bomb for women. They also rarely depict black women with naturally textured hair. Meh.

Thank you for posting this, HH.

There are so many fabulous examples of big, bombastically beautiful and dynamic black women, who inspire the people around them ..or through their art. Are we to believe artists can't find ONE gloriously iconic, FAT black woman, ..ANY-where, ..to model Etta Candy on?

What about Adele, Melissa McCarthy, Rebel Wilson, Meghan Trainor, Kathy Najimy...Epic Movie WB Jennifer Coolidge! Yes, I know half of these gorgeous ladies went on a diet...aren't fat, anymore. Still, ..an artist, struggling with Etta's sizeist and racial politics, can just think of any one of them, at some time in their careers...and add 'black'.

If three years ago, I had checked ScreenRant and read, "...Gal Gadot, Vera Farmiga (as Janus) and Rebel Wilson...Wonder Woman III...", I'd have squatted out a baby, right at the computer! Black, white or whatever, the bigness, the volume...the quantity of Etta matters. It drives me crazy these artists can't get that.

Imagine that there's a little, fat black girl out there, who just shaved her little Afro-puffs, into a Mohawk (or whatever Mr. T had). Imagine she's getting ready to jump off some lawn furniture in her backyard and bust both of her knees, open - Mama's in the window, spanking on stand-by - but, she's fearless. Maybe, she feels invincible and beautiful, fat as she is, because she saw Etta Candy in Wonder Woman: Bloodlines ..or picked up one of her big brother's Wonder Woman comic books. That's powerful.

I love Travis Moore's work. He's a phenomenal artist - one of the best WW artists, ever! If his Etta isn't giving that energy to that girl and her little Caucasian, Arab, Latina and First Nation BFFs, ..he's not drawing Etta. He's missing the point.

Wonder Woman's nudity and Etta's morbid obesity make powerful statements about women's bodies. When we cover up Diana, without context, we're inviting people, especially little people, to think women's bodies are inherently dirty and need to be fixed, with covering up. When we slim-prove Etta into a wiseacre, second rate, plain-clothes Nubia, we're inviting them to think something's inherently better about looking like Nubia, than looking like Etta.

A Wonderfan once said, "Nubia is perfection. Etta is perfect imperfection. Don't need 2 Nubias." I'm still there. I don't need Team Amazon or Celeb Artist X slimming Etta down for political correctness ..or modernity. Whose correctness and whose modernity? Screw all that.

Dr. Marston got this right, ..way back in 1942. I think today's creative teams should follow their lead. Less Etta is a lesser Etta. Keep babygirl FAT.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-21-2022 at 06:03 AM. Reason: clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I want Lizzo to play Etta Candy's great granddaughter in Wonder Woman III. Also - is it too soon to bring Siggy into the movies? I think he'd be a hoot.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I want Lizzo to play Etta Candy's great granddaughter in Wonder Woman III. Also - is it too soon to bring Siggy into the movies? I think he'd be a hoot.
    If we were MARVEL no, since it's DC yes.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Solicit for #795

WONDER WOMAN #795
    Written by BECKY CLOONAN, MICHAEL W. CONRAD, and JORDIE BELLAIRE
    Art by AMANCAY NAHUELPAN and PAULINA GANUCHEAU
    Cover by YANICK PAQUETTE
    Variant cover by DAVID NAKAYAMA
    Variant cover by MITCH GERADS
    1:25 variant cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL
    1:50 foil variant cover by YANICK PAQUETTE
    $4.99 US | 40 pages | Variant $5.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 1/10/23
    As trouble continues to mount in Olympus, Wonder Woman begins to understand that the gods have taken a particular interest in mortals for the first time in centuries. Now, with her new partner, Wonder Girl Yara Flor, she hopes to defend Man’s World from whatever the immortal beings are preparing…but will these Wonder Women be enough?
    Suppose it was inevitable, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Solicit for #795

What's inevitable?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What's inevitable?
    Diana and the boring wondergirl team up.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Maybe seeing Yara as an actual protege to Diana might help win some fans over (like me).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Solicit for #795

Hey maybe Yara will be fun under Cloonrad's pen. :P

WONDER WOMAN VOL. 3: THE VILLAINY OF OUR FEARS
    Written by BECKY CLOONAN and MICHAEL W. CONRAD
    Art by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO and MARGUERITE SAUVAGE
    Cover by YANICK PAQUETTE
    $19.99 US | 200 pages | Softcover | 6 5/8" x 10 3/16" | ISBN: 978-1-77951-984-9
    ON SALE 2/14/23

After the events of Trial of the Amazons, Diana returns to Man’s World and is greeted by Edgar Cizko’s new group of criminals called Villainy Inc., designed to take down Wonder Woman and rule the world. To stop him, our hero is joined by friends old and new, including Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, and the Cheetah—now operating as agents of Checkmate—along with displaced Asgardian heartthrob Siegfried. Will this team be enough to uncover the dark nature of who is really calling the shots?
    Collects Wonder Woman #787-794.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I would soooo model Etta after Lizzo's face and figure. Even her personality screams "Etta Candy!" to me.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

So NOW Diana can interact with a sidekick? After Cassie/Donna have had nothing to do with her? Makes it seem very deliberate

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    So NOW Diana can interact with a sidekick? After Cassie/Donna have had nothing to do with her? Makes it seem very deliberate
    Well, better late than never even if it's not the Wonder Girls people wanted to see.