Page 244 of 258 FirstFirst ... 144194234240241242243244245246247248254 ... LastLast
Results 3,646 to 3,660 of 3858

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Can you link the interview(s) you're referencing?

On their own Twitter...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    On their own Twitter...
    Looks like the 2022 annual was the Nubia and the Justice League special:

https://twitter.com/michaelwconrad/s...34625062408193

Anyways I have trouble ragging on editorial for this particular era of WW - the team for the most part got to tell their story uninterrupted and we even got a ancillary titles with the Nubia minis and Wonder Girl, hell they even did a mini WW event. Just feels like DC did actually invest a lot of energy in the line these past few years and unfortunately the sales weren't good enough to make it stick.

To be honest even the Lazarus Planet inclusion can be construed as a positive if you wanted to:

• It is the only actual mini in the event amongst a sea of one-shots
    • Given that the event is essentially wrapping in this week's Batman vs. Robin #5 I get the feeling the mini is more Captain Marvel/Wonder Woman crossover that's borrowing the Lazarus Planet branding for sales/eyeballs than a true derailment due to the event.

I'd love a few more arcs from them. Like Rucka, Jimenez & Orlando they're welcome to come back at any time.

Anyways I have trouble ragging on editorial for this particular era of WW - the team for the most part got to tell their story uninterrupted and we even got a ancillary titles with the Nubia minis and Wonder Girl, hell they even did a mini WW event. Just feels like DC did actually invest a lot of energy in the line these past few years and unfortunately the sales weren't good enough to make it stick.

To be honest even the Lazarus Planet inclusion can be construed as a positive if you wanted to:

• Given that the event is essentially wrapping in this week's Batman vs. Robin #5 I get the feeling the mini is more Captain Marvel/Wonder Woman crossover that's borrowing the Lazarus Planet branding for sales/eyeballs than a true derailment due to the event.
    I also consider it positive and fully agree with what you say about the LP mini-series, but I also think these issues of fitting in with events, for example having to wait for it to end to release it due to wanting to tie it to it, makes the arcs become take too long
    We will see what happens, for example, with Hippolyta, Artemis and Cheetah, with whom they made an effort to change their status quo and ended up there.
    It is true and I am always saying that a single book about Diana or the wonderverse is not enough to tell all the stories we want to see, but if we are going to have only one book, I would prefer that it focus on telling good and short stories trying to give Participation to all the heroes and villains associated with Diana, but hey we had ToTA and it was not good.

And I'm sorry Michael, but a Nubia Special is a Nubia Special, not a WW Annual.

I think that it wasn't perfect, DC should have figured out something with Wonder Girl before it got derailed by art delays and wasted all the momentum from Future State mini. Like, it ain't news that Jones isn't the fastest artist around so they should have launched the ongoing with that in mind, like maybe giving her a supporting artist from the start that does less important pages or something like that. Another thing that I just don't get is making last issue of Nubia's mini a part of crossover event. And well, I don't think that Cloonan and Conrad were good enough for WW's ongoing.

But other than that, I don't know, I think that DC did a better job with WW's line than they had done for years, if not decades.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Making Nubia special into the unofficial WW Annual is such a poor move on DCs part. I know Wonders aren't high sellers but...it's embarrassing with how much sharing the titles have had to do.

Yeah, it's frustrating because they tried but they missed the most important things you need to actually sell it. Trial of the Amazons was a cool concept but it was a bunch of C-list writers and a laundry list of C-list (other than Joelle Jones) artists who couldn't even stay consistent for one issue, working on a story that was incredibly sloppy and poorly conceived. The best thing they had going for them was Nubia's two miniseries and Stephanie Williams was a no-name.

Right now the Superman books are really showing how you can bring new life into a franchise. Superman and Action were selling poorly but they invested in high-quality talent, made something they KNEW was good, marketed the hell out of it, and relaunched to tons of hype. If you read one issue you'll understand why no one's buying WW.

I think that one is difficult. Lazarus Planet was already shoehorned in as an event. I don't see anyone care that much anymore and the crossover is barely connected to it time-wise and story-wise, so the label might as well hold the Wonder/Shazam crossover back.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think that it wasn't perfect, DC should have figured out something with Wonder Girl before it got derailed by art delays and wasted all the momentum from Future State mini. Like, it ain't news that Jones isn't the fastest artist around so they should have launched the ongoing with that in mind, like maybe giving her a supporting artist from the start that does less important pages or something like that. Another thing that I just don't get is making last issue of Nubia's mini a part of crossover event. And well, I don't think that Cloonan and Conrad were good enough for WW's ongoing.

But other than that, I don't know, I think that DC did a better job with WW's line than they had done for years, if not decades.
    That's the one thing that is really mindboggling to me. But maybe it had something to do with Jones's contract which was still set-up under Didio.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Yeah, it's frustrating because they tried but they missed the most important things you need to actually sell it. Trial of the Amazons was a cool concept but it was a bunch of C-list writers and a laundry list of C-list (other than Joelle Jones) artists who couldn't even stay consistent for one issue, working on a story that was incredibly sloppy and poorly conceived. The best thing they had going for them was Nubia's two miniseries and Stephanie Williams was a no-name.

Right now the Superman books are really showing how you can bring new life into a franchise. Superman and Action were selling poorly but they invested in high-quality talent, made something they KNEW was good, marketed the hell out of it, and relaunched to tons of hype. If you read one issue you'll understand why no one's buying WW.
    I agree, the way Supes & Action have been launched and were prepared for launch has been very different. There is simply loads more confidence in the franchise.

And, sure, Wonder Woman has never been as big of a seller, but DC franchises have fallen and risen. They could make her rise too.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    I think that one is difficult. Lazarus Planet was already shoehorned in as an event. I don't see anyone care that much anymore and the crossover is barely connected to it time-wise and story-wise, so the label might as well hold the Wonder/Shazam crossover back.

That's the one thing that is really mindboggling to me. But maybe it had something to do with Jones's contract which was still set-up under Didio.

I agree, the way Supes & Action have been launched and were prepared for launch has been very different. There is simply loads more confidence in the franchise.

And, sure, Wonder Woman has never been as big of a seller, but DC franchises have fallen and risen. They could make her rise too.
    What franchise? Comic books in general sell very little.

Also WW wasn't always a small seller. But DC has never put 50% of the effort with her title as thery do SM. So nobody should expect the same results.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Looks like a suit redesign may be coming too:

Detail shots of Diana and Yara:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpNwfy4LkIi/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpBBQi3PUub/?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    What franchise? Comic books in general sell very little.

Also WW wasn't always a small seller. But DC has never put 50% of the effort with her title as thery do SM. So nobody should expect the same results.
    But some sell more than others. Green Lanterns for example is a franchise that rose and fell. Titans too.

She's always been a smaller seller compared to other heroes on the same level as her. That's been said by different people in the industry.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

But some sell more than others. Green Lanterns for example is a franchise that rose and fell. Titans too.

She's always been a smaller seller compared to other heroes on the same level as her. That's been said by different people in the industry.
    Marston, Perez, Ruka were strong sellers. And WW is a character that has been treated like trah by her own label all her existance. So how do they expect big sales is beyond me.

Mighty Member

Because DC always found a way to screw it up, what do you think why there was barely anything after the breakout movie or why a basically comic book star and big seller like Perez left DC in anger after his Wonder Woman run as just 2 of countless examples, even just 20% of the positive effort they did put into Superman or less than 10% of the effort they did put into Batman would have probably made a big difference already.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Marston, Perez, Ruka were strong sellers. And WW is a character that has been treated like trah by her own label all her existance. So how do they expect big sales is beyond me.
    Perez hit the Top 10 DC Comics sales-wise a few times, that's true, but Ruck's first run didn't sell that well. His second run started out strong because of the Rebirth push, but compared to other titles DC put out it sold mid.

Marston's Wonder Woman is a strong seller by today's standards and she was certainly a strong seller as one of the first superheroines, but again, she wasn't a strong seller compared to other comics in circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Because DC always found a way to screw it up, what do you think why there was barely anything after the breakout movie or why a basically comic book star and big seller like Perez left DC in anger after his Wonder Woman run as just 2 of countless examples, even just 20% of the positive effort they did put into Superman or less than 10% of the effort they did put into Batman would have probably made a big difference already.
    That's what I said:

Siggy...does he stick around after Cloonrad is gone or does he leave with them?