Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    You are not getting any replies on this thread.

Not trying to be mean in pointing that out but...this kind of aggressive persistence can be off-putting.

You've successfully advertised what you're doing. Read the room.
    Doing this is WAY better than what we have seen some do by spamming other boards.

The issue with the Indy and Image forums is very few folks who actual READ the books post on this message board.

Incredible Member

If there's no actual back-and-forth happening here about the plots and characters and themes of these books between various people, then it isn't a conversation taking place - it's just spam.

But hey - why should we expect any person spreading "awareness of Christ" to ever listen to or respect the words "no", "please stop" or "not interested", right?

Case in point, this summary:

Charles Thomas Studd (1860-1931) was a famous athlete in Victorian England who, after receiving Christ as his Saviour, set aside his cricket career and went to China as one of the Cambridge Seven to assist Hudson Taylor with evangelism. There Studd met his wife, originally from Ireland, and after some years they moved on to ministry in India and finally the Democratic Republic of Congo (its current name), Africa where Studd and his coworkers led many to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.
    That pretty much says it all, doesn't it. And nice cover there too, by the way. White man aiding the lost hopeless savages, right?

At this point in human history, it's really inexcusable to paint what amounts to cultural genocide as some kind of upbeat embracing of "saving knowledge". So many had their religious beliefs and their way of life squashed under the boots of invading Christian evangelists. Call it what it is. Or at the very least, open your eyes to what it really was. That would certainly be "saving knowledge" worthy of serious contemplation.

You aren't writing comics - you're creating propaganda to glorify a religion and whitewash the horrendous realities of what happened, and in the process littering this thread with clearly unwelcome ads. It bugs me when I see these types of flyers scattered around bus stops, and it bothers me when it's done here. I'm sure I'm not alone in that, hence the radio silence here.

If people want to seek out your religion, trust that they will without you taking it upon yourself to spread the word. It's VERY well-advertised.

And obviously, you're targeting children here by presenting this in the form of a comic book, which is particularly gross. Worry less about saving their souls and more about letting them develop their minds, in particular, critical thinking skills and the ability to do research rather than rely on heavily-reworked accounts of history, slanted to perpetually place certain people in the "right".

It's always the so-called religious ones accusing others of "indoctrinating the youth!" when that's exactly what they're doing, and have always done for centuries.

Your faith is your business and is between you and your maker. Stop trying to pull others into your web while claiming to help them. It is aggressive. This is not the place for it.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 02-19-2023 at 03:03 AM.

Amazing Member

All you are doing, Disneyboy, is drawing further attention to my thread by posting on it. Thank you, regardless of your obviously hostile intent.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

If there's no actual back-and-forth happening here about the plots and characters and themes of these books between various people, then it isn't a conversation taking place - it's just spam.

But hey - why should we expect any person spreading "awareness of Christ" to ever listen to or respect the words "no", "please stop" or "not interested", right?

That pretty much says it all, doesn't it. And nice cover there too, by the way. White man aiding the lost hopeless savages, right?

At this point in human history, it's really inexcusable to paint what amounts to cultural genocide as some kind of upbeat embracing of "saving knowledge". So many had their religious beliefs and their way of life squashed under the boots of invading Christian evangelists. Call it what it is. Or at the very least, open your eyes to what it really was. That would certainly be "saving knowledge" worthy of serious contemplation.

You aren't writing comics - you're creating propaganda to glorify a religion and whitewash the horrendous realities of what happened, and in the process littering this thread with clearly unwelcome ads. It bugs me when I see these types of flyers scattered around bus stops, and it bothers me when it's done here. I'm sure I'm not alone in that, hence the radio silence here.

If people want to seek out your religion, trust that they will without you taking it upon yourself to spread the word. It's VERY well-advertised.

And obviously, you're targeting children here by presenting this in the form of a comic book, which is particularly gross. Worry less about saving their souls and more about letting them develop their minds, in particular, critical thinking skills and the ability to do research rather than rely on heavily-reworked accounts of history, slanted to perpetually place certain people in the "right".

It's always the so-called religious ones accusing others of "indoctrinating the youth!" when that's exactly what they're doing, and have always done for centuries.

Your faith is your business and is between you and your maker. Stop trying to pull others into your web while claiming to help them. It is aggressive. This is not the place for it.
    You're the one clearly being aggressive here and throwing around unwanted accusations. Most people will just ignore the thread if they don't like it.

Amazing Member

The new book is here! GRACE & MERCY is a 64 page, full color comics anthology featuring the following stories illustrated by:
    "Our Father" (the Lord's Prayer from "Matthew 6:9-13) - Alec Stevens
    "Rock of Ages" (the story behind Augustus Toplady's hymn) - Alec Stevens
    "David Livingstone" (the Scottish missionary to 19th century Africa) - Antonio Pérez
    "Cry No More: the story of Go Puan Seng" (a Christian publisher and his family are wanted and in hiding during theJapanese occupation of the Philippines during World War II) - Charles L. Ramsay
    Also featured are many fine single illustrations with Gospel truths, drawn by Albrecht Dürer (Renaissance master), Jack Hamm, and James Emerson Russell.
    This book and other titles from Calvary Comics can be ordered here:
    https://calvarycomics.com/order.htmlGraceFrontCover.jpg

Amazing Member

"Our Father" is the opening story in GRACE & MERCY. More preview pages can be seen here:
    https://calvarycomics.com/publicatio...and_mercy.html

Grace01.jpgGrace02.jpg

It's a useful thing you're doing. There's a potential audience for this that is not served by the regular comics market.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Amazing Member

Thank you, Thomas. Truth be told, the numbers of Christian comics and graphic novels that have sold may astound you. My friend and former student Sergio Cariello drew The Action Bible for Cook Communications. And it has sold over 59 million copies worldwide. The 'big two' can only dream of such numbers.

Twelve years ago I was asked by Noah Berlatsky of The Hooded Utilitarian to write on this very topic, and more specific titles and sales figures are shared there:

https://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/tag/alec-stevens/
    Last edited by Calvary Comics; 08-15-2023 at 03:20 PM.

Amazing Member

Hallowed be Thy Name is the newest release from Calvary Comics. This 80 page comics anthology features stories from the Bible, history, and modern day testimonies, such as:

“Golgotha: the Place of a Skull” - the account of Jesus’ crucifixion in Mark 15:25-29 - illustrated by Alec Stevens
    “The Apostle Paul in Philippi” - from Acts 16:25-33 - illustrated by Greta Jones
    “Medieval Apostle: Peter Waldo” - a wealthy 12th century Frenchman becomes a penniless follower of Jesus Christ, inspiring many to follow his example - illustrated by Alec Stevens
    “Five Heroes of Christian Missions” - part one - the martyrdom of Jim Elliot and his friends in the jungles of Ecuador in 1956 - illustrated by Antonio Escobosa
    “Dayuma” - part two - a member of the Waodoni tribe responsible for the aforementioned martyrdom was won to Christ, and subsequently saw many of her people wonderfully saved - illustrated by Antonio Perez
    “The Fall and Rise of Cesar Guy” - tragedy thrusts a wealthy Filipino playboy into prison and failing health in the 1960s and onwards until he is gloriously transformed into a radiant witness for Christ, until his passing in 2021 - illustrated by Amado Sangalang

and many fine illustrations depicting Gospel truths by F.W. Alden,
    Jack Hamm, E.J. Pace, James Emerson Russell, and Henry Ossawa Tanner.

This book and other titles from Calvary Comics can be ordered here:
    https://calvarycomics.com/order.htmlHallowedFrontCover.jpg
    Last edited by Calvary Comics; 02-22-2024 at 04:03 AM.

Amazing Member

Preview pages from Hallowed be Thy Name can be seen here: https://calvarycomics.com/publicatio..._thy_name.html

Here is part of one story (seen in its entirety in the link above), "Medieval Apostle: Peter Waldo.:Hallowed01.jpgHallowed02.jpgHallowed03.jpg

Amazing Member

This is the opening story to the new comics anthology, Hallowed be Thy Name. "Golgotha" in Aramaic (from the Hebrew word "gulgoleth") and "Calvary" in Latin are both translated in English as "the place of a skull." This is the location just outside the ancient walls of Jerusalem where Jesus Christ was crucified.
    #christianart #bibleart #christiangraphicnovel #christiancomics #golgotha #calvary

www.calvarycomics.com/order.htmlGolgoth01.jpgGolgotha02.jpgGolgotha03.jpg

Amazing Member

Happy Easter, everyone! Here is the opening story to Maranatha: a Visual Gospel which I published a few years ago. Gospel is derived from an Anglo-Saxon word meaning "good news." Gospel01.jpgGospel02.jpgGospel03.jpg

I'm late by a day, but Happy Easter!

I'm personally not interested in these books, but your post is unnecessarily aggressive/ hostile