Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The union!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    Probably because he’s appeared in less than 300 issues in a 39 year period. He’s not well known.
    He may not be one of the prominent mainstays of the MU, but he's not exactly obscure either. Apart from Captain Britain he is the most prominent hero representing the U.K., and turns up in many stories that involve the U.K. in some way. He's been the star of his own solo miniseries one more than one occasion and has been involved in a couple of team books as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    He may not be one of the prominent mainstays of the MU, but he's not exactly obscure either. Apart from Captain Britain he is the most prominent hero representing the U.K., and turns up in many stories that involve the U.K. in some way. He's been the star of his own solo miniseries one more than one occasion and has been involved in a couple of team books as well.
    Agreed. Also, don't forget his appearance in Marvel Comics Presents #42 (one of my personal favorites, I might add):

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    It would be perfect to add a Commonwealth representative....who would probably be Black.

Oh....I didn't know that Great Britain and England were separate. Well, I learned this today.
    It’s a lot of complicated terminology regarding old hostilities and segregation but basically:

As you know, the individual countries are England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain refers to England, Scotland and Wales. Basically, it means those that are on the same island which is Great Britain.

The United Kingdom includes those three plus Northern Ireland, since it’s a separate island across the Irish Sea.

So to correct myself, Britannia would be most accurately be described as the representative of the United Kingdom (not Great Britain) if she’s intended to represent all four countries.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    It would be perfect to add a Commonwealth representative....who would probably be Black.

Oh....I didn't know that Great Britain and England were separate. Well, I learned this today.
    Well this team is meant to represent the UK but I could totally see a Commonwealth (are we talking Realms or Nations?) crossover event, or something. Depending on the number be either a single hero, or full teams.

They also could’ve thrown in Gibraltar if this is intended to be a commentary on the national divisiveness within the UK at the moment. Gibraltar voted too.

Ultimate Member

They also could’ve thrown in Gibraltar if this is intended to be a commentary on the national divisiveness within the UK at the moment. Gibraltar voted too.
    Maybe the hero from Gibraltar has powers that only work on the rock itself, making them a bit of a homebody...

"Hey, bring him over here so I can punch him!" "Uh, no. You're like 200 miles away. Just go back to your book."

Hahah. To be fair, I’d thought the same. Especially since Captain Britain’s powers used to be tied to Britain

BANNED

Union Jack is gay?

I liked the first issue, but it is a very different feel from usual comics. It's bites a bit more than it can chew, but is a mini so it needs to go fast.
    Good hook for a 2nd issue, this has my interest
    Last edited by baxer; 12-07-2020 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    Union Jack is gay?

I liked the first issue, but it is a very different feel from usual comics. It's bites a bit more than it can chew, but is a mini so it needs to go fast.
    Good hook for a 2nd issue, this has my interest
    Brian Falsworth is gay. This Union Jack is Joseph Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Maybe the hero from Gibraltar has powers that only work on the rock itself, making them a bit of a homebody...

"Hey, bring him over here so I can punch him!" "Uh, no. You're like 200 miles away. Just go back to your book."
    We could have heroes and heroines from the other British Overseas Territories. Captain Tristan da Cunha would be stranded on his tiny island - and never able to get into action. He'd be extremely powerful but always absent due being unable to fly.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

BANNED

Loved it

Something weird is obviously going on with Britannia but it’s part of the journey.

Loving some UK love after Excalibur failed to have more than 1 uk character.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Britannia would’ve been cooler as the “embodiment of British Spirit”, but it read to me that she’s a warrior that dies and is reborn (how that happens remains unclear). It might have to do with taking a human host (a la Valkyrie) since the name Tanya is relatively modern for some ancient being.

I wish we’d seen more of the new characters but I suppose they’ll be developed now that readers have been reminded who Union Jack is (or at least this Chapman version). Art was lovely and I’m still interested in seeing who or what Kelpie is so I’ll be sticking around. Just a shame the hero from my country carries absolutely no appeal to me. Hahah.
    I'm not sure if "Tanya" is actually supposed to be her real name, or if it's just a nickname for "Britannia".

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    Well this team is meant to represent the UK but I could totally see a Commonwealth (are we talking Realms or Nations?) crossover event, or something. Depending on the number be either a single hero, or full teams.
    If the team are working for the UK government/UK interests then no it shouldn't include commonwealth heroes. But if the Union could be part of a larger organisation like the commonwealth then I'm al for it.

BANNED

I hope Britannia is not just dead, that would be lot of wasted potential

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

I still don't know why, but I really like Snakes. I wonder what are his powers.