Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

Extraordinary Member

The debacle continues an investor is suing.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/video-g...-2077-n1252348

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The game sold $13 million copies. The terrible launch and the relaunch were taken into account with the sales numbers.

https://www.engadget.com/cyberpunk-2...203600086.html

Still a mega success with all the issues surrounding it and CD Project. Surely, the sales will be at a standstill with it being pulled from the PS store.
    Ha, and nothing will ever change.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-after-refund)

Bloomberg paints a different picture of that number.

It seems like the marketing, promotion and hype led Cyberpunk to make a big launch but that also means they may have hit a plateau and sales will drop and decline sharply, making it hard for CDPR to exceed Witcher III leave alone approach the sky high bar set by GTA V.
    This article is mostly about the companies investors and stock market. It will hit a plateau simply because the game got pulled from the Playstation store. With bug fixes, and sales they can push more units. CD Project already made back the development costs and marketing on the preorders alone. Everything beyond the 13 million is gravy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    CD Project already made back the development costs and marketing on the preorders alone. Everything beyond the 13 million is gravy.
    Jameson laugh.jpg

You don't get it.

Cyberpunk 2077 had Keanu Reeves. It had hype like no other game, its developers were buoyed by Witcher III one of the most profitable and beloved games, made on a smaller budget than Cyberpunk 2077. Cyberpunk 2077 and other games like it aren't about "gravy", they aren't *just* about making back the development costs and marketing. It's not about making some money and some profit. It's about making a great deal of money and maximum profits. That's the world of hypercapitalism. It's super-competitive, high stakes, "go big or go home" no holds barrred "there can only be one" kind of thing.

For those who want to know. The budget of The Witcher 3 was $81mn. The budget of Cyberpunk 2077 was $317mn, that's almost quadruple the budget of TW3. So in terms of profitability, Witcher 3 is far more profitable at launch than Cyberpunk 2077 is and likely to be at the end of it.

CDPR when it expanded into a major AAA game with a market valuation bigger than Ubisoft at one point (all based on TW3) wasn't treated as some small developer from nowhere who managed to put out games that turned heads (which they were a decade or so back), they were treated as the next big company, the new entry into the club of EA, Activision, Take-Two, Ubisoft the very exclusive 1% of game publishers.

Cyberpunk 2077 was expected to have not simple profits, but giant profits. Based on the hype and rankings, investors and shareholders were thinking RDR-II numbers. It has not hit those targets. Marketing and pre-orders have garnered them "simple profits" but word-of-mouth is what they need for mega-profits or hyper-profits which is what people expect of this game.

Anything less than that, and CDPR is more or less going to be where it was right before they launched TW3. And that's why Cyberpunk 2077 from an industry point of view, from a market point of view, from a shareholder point of view, is a big disappointment. CDPR is not gonna be the next mega-publisher anytime soon. That dream's can has been kicked away, Lucy has taken the football at the last moment, the train never stopped at the platform, Godot hasn't come...and so on and so forth.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 12-26-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah aint gon be no gravy tonight kids...

Wtf the main story is super short as well if you don't do a bunch of the side quests. I was expecting a longer game. When they said it was shorter then Witcher 3... well yes almost all gamed are lol. Guess I gotta do a bunch of these side quest that didn't Interest me much.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Wtf the main story is super short as well if you don't do a bunch of the side quests. I was expecting a longer game. When they said it was shorter then Witcher 3... well yes almost all gamed are lol. Guess I gotta do a bunch of these side quest that didn't Interest me much.
    Unlike most games doing the side quests has an impact on the ending. So after completing some of them complete the main story again. You will have more options.

The game, for all the hype, is a bust

I don't know. I'm playing at my slow pace, a few quests every time, mostly strolling around (god, driving is sooo nerve triggering), and I'm having an enjoyable time. Sure, I miss stuff I usually find in these kind of games, I feel the city lacks interaction with the player. But still, a fun, relaxing time. I'm actually starting to explore heights, see how I can reach certain points with simple jump. Helps a lot with side jobs, actually. I wonder why they didn't take more advantagr of the map they created, using more parkour gimmicks, minigames, or something. It's fun.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Jameson laugh.jpg

You don't get it.

Cyberpunk 2077 had Keanu Reeves. It had hype like no other game, its developers were buoyed by Witcher III one of the most profitable and beloved games, made on a smaller budget than Cyberpunk 2077. Cyberpunk 2077 and other games like it aren't about "gravy", they aren't *just* about making back the development costs and marketing. It's not about making some money and some profit. It's about making a great deal of money and maximum profits. That's the world of hypercapitalism. It's super-competitive, high stakes, "go big or go home" no holds barrred "there can only be one" kind of thing.

For those who want to know. The budget of The Witcher 3 was $81mn. The budget of Cyberpunk 2077 was $317mn, that's almost quadruple the budget of TW3. So in terms of profitability, Witcher 3 is far more profitable at launch than Cyberpunk 2077 is and likely to be at the end of it.

CDPR when it expanded into a major AAA game with a market valuation bigger than Ubisoft at one point (all based on TW3) wasn't treated as some small developer from nowhere who managed to put out games that turned heads (which they were a decade or so back), they were treated as the next big company, the new entry into the club of EA, Activision, Take-Two, Ubisoft the very exclusive 1% of game publishers.

Cyberpunk 2077 was expected to have not simple profits, but giant profits. Based on the hype and rankings, investors and shareholders were thinking RDR-II numbers. It has not hit those targets. Marketing and pre-orders have garnered them "simple profits" but word-of-mouth is what they need for mega-profits or hyper-profits which is what people expect of this game.

Anything less than that, and CDPR is more or less going to be where it was right before they launched TW3. And that's why Cyberpunk 2077 from an industry point of view, from a market point of view, from a shareholder point of view, is a big disappointment. CDPR is not gonna be the next mega-publisher anytime soon. That dream's can has been kicked away, Lucy has taken the football at the last moment, the train never stopped at the platform, Godot hasn't come...and so on and so forth.

Not taking up for CD Project Red here because they screwed up part of the launch with older consoles. They clearly should have concentrated on the next generation of consoles and went from there.

I don't think anyone considered CDR a mega publisher or attempting to do that given that they have only done like 4-5 games in 13+ years and a few things were expansions to the Witcher 3 etc. The company wasn't a mega publisher and doesn't seem destined to ever be one considering they only had Witcher franchise and then this game. I mean this isn't an EA situation where they are a mega publisher with a number of studios like Bioware etc.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Not taking up for CD Project Red here because they screwed up part of the launch with older consoles. They clearly should have concentrated on the next generation of consoles and went from there.

I don't think anyone considered CDR a mega publisher or attempting to do that given that they have only done like 4-5 games in 13+ years and a few things were expansions to the Witcher 3 etc. The company wasn't a mega publisher and doesn't seem destined to ever be one considering they only had Witcher franchise and then this game. I mean this isn't an EA situation where they are a mega publisher with a number of studios like Bioware etc.
    Maybe the word mega-publisher was wrong and incorrect. However people had high expectations for CDPR:
    https://screenrant.com/cd-projekt-re...s-value-worth/

Their stocks were valued higher than Ubisoft at one point, so the expectation was that CDPR be the next Ubisoft and from there eventually become a giant and so on.

The point is the Cyberpunk's launch has dashed that for the time being, and no amount of hotfixes is going to change that.

Every time i hear the words "triple A game" now my first instict is to answer "nope".

I'm really curious when a 100% edition for this game drops that has all content restored and all DLC drops
    Who will still call this game a bust
    TW3 had issues and it sold consistently because of hype and good will for a small franchise that built its niche audience
    Cyberpunk 2077 has literally no reason to be doing numbers like this imo
    The hype for original games with original stories is hard to fathom but this game broke huge and then all the bugs began to become the story. This game should not have been released for PS4 and Xbox one
    In fact given the sales they probably could have waited til the product was polished and not worry about all potential sales losses by not hitting their release target

I do not think keannu was the reason for the hype
    He is sort of a meme now but not in the movie megastar way

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I'm really curious when a 100% edition for this game drops that has all content restored and all DLC drops
    Who will still call this game a bust
    Sales of 100% editions aren't where profits, i.e. greater than "gravy", to be made.

TW3 had issues and it sold consistently because of hype and good will for a small franchise that built its niche audience
    TW3 had multiple things going for it.
    -- It was launched and targetted exclusively next-gen (at the time) so PS4, Xbox One, PC.
    -- TW3 was innovative in storytelling and approach. A RPG with a single player character but with questlines that are multiple pathways and options which have consequences that aren't immediately apparent.
    -- TW3 also had very good combat systems, not great but pretty good considering how the previous two were ass in comparison. So it had a complete package experience.

People forgave the bugs and glitches in TW3 because it was seen widely as the first big game by a "little company that could" i.e. CDPR and seen as a Polish cultural export, so that made people cut it slack as did CDPR's anti-DRM policies at the time.

With Cyberpunk 2077 old rules don't apply
    -- Cyberpunk 2077 rolled out in a year of a console launch so it was caught in-between because a good chunk of consumer base hadn't adopted the new hardware yet, and the PS4 being that it's one of the best selling consoles ever can't be safely ignored or neglected.
    -- Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't have the same sense of innovation and ambition that TW3 did. It's storytelling and style is mostly similar to TW3 but now since quite a few games have been inspired by TW3, CDPR didn't raise their game enough in that front.
    -- Combat and Shooting is a new thing for CDPR to step into, and it doesn't feel as innovative and new as GTA or GTA-clones.

Now that CDPR is a big time company and development team, they aren't treated with kid gloves anymore. So it's different.

I do not think keannu was the reason for the hype
    The star of The Matrix and John Wick movies among many other big successful films appearing in a major video game role (in a time when big celebrity appearances and likenesses in a AAA game has become rare) does constitute good enough reason for hype, in my view.

Well like a lot of times I want a game for Christmas I ended up actually getting it as a gift, so I didn't have to fret over when to get it.

So far, I'm enjoying it. I'm not far in but have yet to encounter any bugs, though I'm sure I will. But its worth mentioning I wasn't waiting for this game for 10 years. I only found out about it last year at the earliest. So I wasn't really part of that long-time megahype. The stuff that I'm seeing was promised and not present...yeah that'd be a huge bummer if I was hyped over that for years. So I get it. But at this stage really the only thing I'm disappointed with is no ability to scroll in third person. But the camera mode is cool in case I want to check out how I'm decked out.

That's not even mentioning the PS4/Xbox One woes. Obviously if I were on one of those platforms I wouldn't have had any inclination to bother. But, PC guy here.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El