Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I still think "international Batman" is out of character for Bruce. It's always been about preventing what happened to him happening to someone else in Gotham.
    I like International Batman personally, because it not only connects him with the wider dc universe but also gives the bat-family time to shine. It shows he trusts them to handle business while he handles personal matters.

Not counting Catwoman, Ghostmaker, Harley, Clownhunter, or Jace Fox; Bruce can rely on the two Batgirls Steph and Cassandra, Tim, Jason, Barbara, Helena, Duke, Luke and his cousin Kate if things go wrong and Dick is only a call away if needed. I say let him go on out of town adventures with all of them available to help.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

All-New Member

On Detective Comics 1046, I think it is probably productive at this stage to have their Fear State/Future State comics remove The Batman Bruce Wayne. This gives the new vision by DC and Mariko Tamaki to see what sales will be like in 2022 without the "ready sale" feature of having Batman in their vision of Detective Comics, and see if they can succeed in their vision without Batman. Sales will tell what actually will work. Before Batman's creation, Detective Comics existed for 26 issues, mainly dependent on anti-crime stories and then the Crimson Avenger. Let's see in 2022 how well it does without Batman, and a different vision. I am not certain some of the pro-crime messages suggested in "Batgirls" like costumed characters stealing cars are going to last, but murderess Harley Quinn has been kept in Detective Comics... now as an "anti-hero." Most of these had the Batman keeping as a foundation to keep sales up, no matter what they did, let's see where they go without him for a while.
    Last edited by BatsUSA; 09-20-2021 at 05:15 AM.

All-New Member

The Batman regularly traveled out of town in 1950s, 1970s, without a big issue, but now you have this "Fear State"/"Future State" Gotham - driving him out - after driving him into the sewers. So it is a different energy. I don't know how long reader loyalty will last to the dystopia. The last dystopia series No Man's Land, lasted about 2 years.

I have read Detective Comics on and off since Mariko Tamaki took over, but really infrequently.
    I genuinely am disinterested in paying for that storyline, just like I didn't like paying for No Man's Land, either, and very infrequently bought it too.
    I think that Mariko Tamaki and DC Comics should have a Detective Comics to take in the direction they want, and find readers that they want. Clearly, not me.

I have pretty much been done with Detective Comics since issue 1033, Tomasi's last issue in December 2020.
    As Bruce was driving away from Wayne manor with Ace, his other dog and other cat, I was pretty much driving away from Detective Comics.
    "All right... everyone say goodbye." I felt that was a good place to end with Detective Comics.

Extraordinary Member

Feels like you're putting too much of the current direction on Tamaki's shoulders since all supplementary batbooks draw their direction from whomever is writing Batman.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Feels like you're putting too much of the current direction on Tamaki's shoulders since all supplementary batbooks draw their direction from whomever is writing Batman.
    That may be true. Topic here is Detective Comics.
    In my opinion, Detective Comics series has taken a grim direction since Tomasi left and Bruce Wayne left Wayne Manor.
    Batman operating "Bat Caves" in the sewers (as if), Bruce Wayne in jail, etc.
    I tried for a while with Detective Comics this year, but then just decided I didn't want to pay for that anymore.
    I think it makes sense for DC to move Detective Comics with characters other than Batman and see how that works for them, because I stopped reading a while ago.

Batman series has also been very dark, also very unappealing, but it has been less about degrading him in my opinion.
    And Batman series is going to continue with Bruce Wayne, and Detective Comics is not.
    So we will see where Josh Williamson goes with Batman. If not, there are 80 years of other comics to read.

I was pretty surprised to see Mariko Tamaki on Twitter a little over a week ago, saying she was glad to be back at work to "torture" Batman.
    I just don't think you would hear that energy, at least publicly, from other writers... other than maybe Tom King.
    Good for them, they have the right to do and write whatever they want. As a customer, I will choose as well.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatsUSA View Post
    In my opinion, Detective Comics series has taken a grim direction since Tomasi left and Bruce Wayne left Wayne Manor.
    I think the tone is lighter than Batman has been in years and is growing a more healthy relationship with the Bat-family (Huntress has been fantastic). I find it a really fun read and the action is crazy.

To be fair, I don't know about Tomasi's tone on 'Tec as I'm not a fan.

Batman operating "Bat Caves" in the sewers (as if), Bruce Wayne in jail, etc.
    Bat-Caves in the sewers has been a thing since No Man's Land so hardly a new concept. Bruce has been jailed tons of times in the past.

I think it makes sense for DC to move Detective Comics with characters other than Batman and see how that works for them, because I stopped reading a while ago.
    Uh, what? DC should move Batman out of his longest running title because you don't like it?

I was pretty surprised to see Mariko Tamaki on Twitter a little over a week ago, saying she was glad to be back at work to "torture" Batman.
    I just don't think you would hear that energy, at least publicly, from other writers... other than maybe Tom King.
    Dan Slott used to tweet similar things about Spider-man. Several others have done the same. It's about drumming up interest in the twists, turns and drama to come rather than a negative energy. It's definitely not meant to be taken seriously.

Good for them, they have the right to do and write whatever they want. As a customer, I will choose as well.
    That's fair. By the same token, I hope Tamaki has a long run as I'm loving it.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I think the tone is lighter than Batman has been in years and is growing a more healthy relationship with the Bat-family (Huntress has been fantastic). I find it a really fun read and the action is crazy.

To be fair, I don't know about Tomasi's tone on 'Tec as I'm not a fan.

Bat-Caves in the sewers has been a thing since No Man's Land so hardly a new concept. Bruce has been jailed tons of times in the past.

Uh, what? DC should move Batman out of his longest running title because you don't like it?

Dan Slott used to tweet similar things about Spider-man. Several others have done the same. It's about drumming up interest in the twists, turns and drama to come rather than a negative energy. It's definitely not meant to be taken seriously.

That's fair. By the same token, I hope Tamaki has a long run as I'm loving it.
    Tomasi's tone was lighter, Tynion's however wasn't and he wasn't growing a healthy relationship with the family. He was growing a healthy working relationship with Harley and other allies.

DC IS moving batman out of Detective for Shadow of the Bat. They announced it a while ago.

Tec is Batman's longest running title but for sometime now has been treated as a place to spotlight the Batfamily.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I still think "international Batman" is out of character for Bruce. It's always been about preventing what happened to him happening to someone else in Gotham.
    I totally get that but also love Bruce "on the road"