Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

She seemed to receive glowing reviews from her contribution to 1027, so I’ll at least give her a story arc or two before decrying her run will be awful.

Tomasi is always good, but not great, very solid run, but I'm open to see what she can do.

I know a lot of people like Mora, and I don't dislike him, but Brad Walker was really knocking it out of the park with his pencils on 'Tec. Hopefully, he gets another Bat job down the road.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    For those who've read her work:

Do you think she can write a basic Batman & friend versus the villian-of-the-week story?
    Could she create a good Bat-villian?
    I haven't read her superhero comics but she's good at writing character relationships. I think she can make a good villain just not a traditional threatening one, a manipulative one.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think so. Maybe not anything to write home about, but I think she can.
    Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I haven't read her superhero comics but she's good at writing character relationships. I think she can make a good villain just not a traditional threatening one, a manipulative one.
    Those can be good foes too.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Did you read her X-23 run that followed Tom Taylor's All-New Wolverine?
    Yup, a mixed bag honestly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Yup, a mixed bag honestly.
    I felt like that was because editorial wanting to separate laura from everything ANW did when logan came back. She had good consepts but ultimately I feel dealing with logans return gave tamaki a really bad handicap

Astonishing Member

My only question is; will the Bat-Family switch into Power Rangers style costumes? And if not, why not? COME ON.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I felt like that was because editorial wanting to separate laura from everything ANW did when logan came back. She had good consepts but ultimately I feel dealing with logans return gave tamaki a really bad handicap
    It seems like editorial is always involved with Tamaki's work. Is that the real cause of the quality of her Big Two work?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It seems like editorial is always involved with Tamaki's work. Is that the real cause of the quality of her Big Two work?
    I feel she's relies heavily on their guidance and is brought on at a shit time. She hulk had to deal with civil war 2's crap, hunt was a time stall as soule rewrote return several times after already rewriting how logan was set to come back, and x-23 was tasked with neecaping laura for logan. She gets shit luck when brought on and had to deal with what were ultimately dumb decisions. The bat books seem to have there head on straight and be more focused then there others at the times of those runs and aren't dealing with any stupid crap(that we know of so far). If deceive comics and dark detective have a good editorial she should set untill she finds her footing

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I feel like tamaki quality depends on the task shes given. She hulk had her forced to deal with bendis's mess (i think her civil war 2 state made run over hated)and the issue she didn't have to deal with that was perfect she hulk. For x-23 she was forced to remove all traces of All new wolverine from her as a editorial mandate the issues where that didn't happen ex first 6 were good, last 6 had to deal with the stupid editorial decision the quality dropped. Hunt for wolverine shouldn't count because it was a shit show over all and those tie ins were just ment to stall for soule to rewrite the scriped over and over again.(the only important part was psylocks old body but that could have been in the end of soules astonishing run) Shes great at dealing with characters mental states and her 3rd party work is good dark detective looks great. It should be fine
    I though she did honorably by X-23 in terms of preserving as much as possible and building off of All-New Wolverine's stories in a way that felt like it mattered. Also though her Supergirl: Being Super and Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass were pretty good.

I'm sure, like any author, she's had her share of successes and failures.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I though she did honorably by X-23 in terms of preserving as much as possible and building off of All-New Wolverine's stories in a way that felt like it mattered. Also though her Supergirl: Being Super and Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass were pretty good.

I'm sure, like any author, she's had her share of successes and failures.
    I agree, although I feel like those books in some way played more to her strengths (particularly in terms of being a little more creatively free).

Astonishing Member

I'll miss Peter Tomasi. Never read anything by the new creative team.

For Tamaki's writing, there's (She-)Hulk, X-23, and Wonder Woman. For Mora's art, Go Go Power Rangers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    She seemed to receive glowing reviews from her contribution to 1027, so I’ll at least give her a story arc or two before decrying her run will be awful.
    But why is DC reviving the idea of a "Black Casebook"? And how will it be different from the Grant Morrison version?

I wasn't all that impressed by that story in Detective Comics #1027, so I'm not sure this is going to bring me back as a reader.

The Black Casebook seems to be more Tomasi's thing. He had been teasing it for over a year in his Tec run it seems like. Which makes sense because of how often he seems to revisit Morrison's ideas.

What I've heard about Tamaki's run is that it'll build on the Magistrate from Future State. (Which I have almost no interest in from these solicits.)
    Last edited by Pohzee; 12-13-2020 at 09:27 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)