Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3 Grizzly bears vs African elephant

That's right.

Can the bears take him down?
    if not, how many bears would it take?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

More than three. African Bush Elephants weigh in at about 6 metric tonnes compared to the grizzly's average 1/4-1/3 metric tonnes.

Aaaand I'm about done with these animals fighting animals threads.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Even the largest polar bear barely capped at over a ton.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    That's right.

Grizzlies can be very aggressive. Not sure on African Elephants. I'm not sure of the strength to weight ratio but a grizzly is stronger for it's weight than an elephant for its weight. But probably more than three.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Grizzlies can be very aggressive. Not sure on African Elephants. I'm not sure of the strength to weight ratio but a grizzly is stronger for it's weight than an elephant for its weight. But probably more than three.
    Way more than three.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I would assume more than three. Other animals do not f$£€ with grown-ass adult elephants for a very, very good reason. Also, brown bears are not pack hunters and do not strategize amongst themselves.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Is the elephant in Musth? The bears aren't winning either way, but it will determine how many bears it'll take to defeat the African elephant.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

This is the wrong approach. What you need is a single mouse...
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    This is the wrong approach. What you need is a single mouse...
    What do you have against married mice?

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    That's right.

Bears aren't particularly well suited to fight elephants, I'd guess maybe 10, probably more. The elephant could charge through several bears at a time, while other bears would have to tear at his legs and belly. An elephants skin is very tough though, and it would take a bit before it would do any major injury to the elephant.

I quite like this hypothetical animal fights.

BANNED

Somehow. I don't think even an elephant is getting up from three bears doing this simultaneously.

beardickpunch.jpg

Lion prides have (very rarely) taken down grown elephants before, but that takes coordinated pack hunting - which the bears do not have. So a lot more than even those lion prides.

problem is Elephant can pretty much one shot a Bear, so the question becomes how many bears does it take to inflict enough damage to disable the Elephant before it can kill or maim them all. Granted a Grizzly can inflict really grievous damage in a short time, four plus inch claws on the end of extremely powerful limbs can do that. When Grizzlies fight each other they can inflict really nasty wounds, won't post it here but it's fairly easy to find one where one Grizzly rips open a huge wound on another that looks to be at least a foot long, so they could tear an Elephant up given enough time. Imagine it'd take something more than 3 though.

Having had the opportunity to be up close with a herd of the elephants recently (it was to bathe them, so we're talking real up close), I definitely appreciate the utterly massive size and strength of elephants even more now:
    1) Even smallish female elephants of any breed (African, Asian) are way too large for any single grizzly.
    2) It would have to be a literal child for it to be in a grizzlies favor, since they won't have tusks. Since this specifies an African elephant (presumably an adult), it most likely has tusks regardless of gender, which will mess any bear up if with solid hits.
    3) The Grizzlies have huge claws and teeth. A lot of people that domesticate elephants use bull hooks or long nails on sticks to hit them on their heads for control, which clearly causes them pain ( I know, sad ) but doesn't exactly severely wound them. However, grizzly claws have way more power behind them then a claw-like weapon wielded by a human, so with free hits, I can easily imagine it causing some serious injuries. Would such injuries be enough to incapacitate the elephant before it kills a grizzly or two though? Doubtful, though I don't know for sure.

Given how tall African Elephants are, a lot of vitals that would cause immediate incapacitation are also out of the bear's easy reach, particularly the skull, so that's definitely an advantage the elephants have going for them.

The Recipe for Disaster Blackid's Avatar

I know this is a lost cause but I was curious... how soft is the underbelly of an elephant? I know wild animals go for that at times and of course the massive feet of the elephant would probably crush every part of the bear but could a bear swipe upward and all the guts fall out or is that basically as tough and hard as the back of the elephant? thanks!
    The Recipe for Disaster asks for Blasphemy, but as for me, ask for me, I give it gravity.