Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jupiter Gorilla vs Jupiter Grizzly (nods to Postmania)

OK, so in the Grizzly vs Gorilla thread, it became rapidly apparent that it was a stomp in favour of the grizzly, which has a number of major advantages, just one of which is being significantly larger and heavier (ca. 2-3 times according to one figure quoted).

So what if our old friend Jupiter Gorilla (he of the stacked composite stats of enough gorillas to make up the mass of Jupiter) were to somehow come into contact in the Khazan Arena with Jupiter Grizzly (with the stacked composite stats of enough grizzlies to make up the mass of Jupiter)?

How would he get on, given that there’d be many more gorillas in JG’s make-up than there would be grizzlies in that of... err... the other JG?

I just CANT be bothered to do the math on this, so I will just say that I'm entirely confident that a regular Grizzly bear would murder a regular Gorilla.

Best guess is that cumulative stacking effect of more apes due to less mass then the bears means Jupiter Gorilla still comes out on top.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I just CANT be bothered to do the math on this, so I will just say that I'm entirely confident that a regular Grizzly bear would murder a regular Gorilla.

Best guess is that cumulative stacking effect of more apes due to less mass then the bears means Jupiter Gorilla still comes out on top.
    So average weights is almost a 2 to 1 ratio. Problem is that a Grizzly is about twice as strong as a Gorilla, but also has soak enough to ignore, for a short time, fatal injury up to and including heart/lung shots.

The Bear likely disembowels the Gorilla, only to die once it realizes its heart was punched out weeks ago.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Just because it's fun, the OG math on Jupiter Gorilla had him faster then Post Crisis Wally West, as smart as Reed Richards and strong enough to bench press 3,000 planets.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Just because it's fun, the OG math on Jupiter Gorilla had him faster then Post Crisis Wally West, as smart as Reed Richards and strong enough to bench press 3,000 planets.
    I might be overestimating the lift strength, but pure punching/biting power is obscene on a Grizzly. Shattering the skulls of bulls, casually batting off human heads and tearing apart trailers, etc.

Gorilla has its work cut out for it.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I might be overestimating the lift strength, but pure punching/biting power is obscene on a Grizzly. Shattering the skulls of bulls, casually batting off human heads and tearing apart trailers, etc.

Gorilla has its work cut out for it.
    Oh certainly. Despite the numbers being skewed due to mass math, its probably still about as strong if not stronger, has more durability and more soak.

Speed is the issue. 25mph for gorillas according to Google. 35 for bears. But if it's really 2-3 apes per each bear, that adds up.
    - big_adventure

Oh certainly. Despite the numbers being skewed due to mass math, its probably still about as strong if not stronger, has more durability and more soak.

Speed is the issue. 25mph for gorillas according to Google. 35 for bears. But if it's really 2-3 apes per each bear, that adds up.
    Yea but you're still in the same speed ballpark, and a Grizzly has absolutely ridiculous burst thanks to having blood that's more adrenaline than blood (this is a bit facetious but not entirely inaccurate).

Basically, a glancing blow from the Jupiter Grizzly is going to pretty much cripple Jupiter Gorilla; whereas Jupiter Gorilla is going to struggle to do much more than get ignored by Jupiter Grizzly. He'd have to close and go for a grapple or something for a definite win and that's... fantastically risky.

EDIT: it's about 1.7 gorilla for ever Grizzly. Gorilla = 350lb, Grizzly = 600lb.

Arx Inosaan

For fun. Have several books worth of accounts of just how tough grizzlies are. One of the accounts is about a bear waddling through and rummaging around a guy's camp. He sticks the barrel of a .458 out of his tent and shoots him in the side of the face.

Bear goes down, is right back up, and waddles off into the night.

Even using the smallest grain on a .458, we're talking two tons of force to the face that this bear shrugs off. It dying later (the guy didn't go looking, he gtfo) is fairly irrelevant.

Of course there are instances of bears going down to less, but high end consistent? Bears are tough bastards.

Arx Inosaan

The Gorilla actually has more physical strength technically from what I heard (in terms of whats measured but these things aren't really concrete) and technically more reach with its arms.

However Idk
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

A Gorilla can lift more because it's built better for it, yes, but they're not as powerful as a bear.

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    The Gorilla actually has more physical strength technically from what I heard (in terms of whats measured but these things aren't really concrete) and technically more reach with its arms.

However Idk
    That's only because you can't get grizzlies to lift weights just to determine their strength or their build gives them tremendous strength but it doesn't translate into lifting weights.
    Power with Girl is better.

I think it's we moved past Jupiter and expanded the pantheon. Saturn Lion and Uranus Elephant want to join the fight.

Extraordinary Member

How smart is the average bear? Because the intelligence might be the deciding stat here.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    That's only because you can't get grizzlies to lift weights just to determine their strength or their build gives them tremendous strength but it doesn't translate into lifting weights.
    They can lift about 1/4 of what a Gorilla can, despite not being built for it.

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    I think it's we moved past Jupiter and expanded the pantheon. Saturn Lion and Uranus Elephant want to join the fight.
    I demand Moon Squirrel!
    - big_adventure